Re: Setting guifont from a modeline

  • Erik Falor
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
      On 21/01/2008, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      Making all "gui<something>" options unsettable from the moudeline would IMHO
      be rather rash. Under ":help modeline-local" it is said: "Although it's
      possible to set global options from a modeline, this is unusual."

      Because the modeline is attached to a single file, its effects should be contained to that scope.  I realize that some joker can always goof up my tab settings or foldmethod, but I will live with that so long as it doesn't do anything the rest of my buffers.

      According to this view, because all gui*' options are global in their effect, they ought only be set from a global resource such as .gvimrc.  If you can imagine the heartburn it would cause a user if his/her two-week old Vim session got royally goofed up because they loaded that one file that their co-worker wanted to read in a 3 point font, then you'll know why "Although it's
      possible to set global options from a modeline, this is unusual" is a bit of an understatement.

      Perhaps a real solution is to implement a new option in Vim that acts as a whitelist or a blacklist of acceptable modeline options.
      Basically, it would be like the aforementioned scripts, except it would be built-in and always available.  Or at the very least, one
      of those scripts can be distributed with Vim so that going forward, we can be sure that protection is available.
      --
      Erik Falor