Re: Patch for Unix filename expansion to try out

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 34 , Jan 4 6:02 AM
      > The filenames were the strings above without the double quotes.
      > Backslash-escaping looked OK: I could edit the files and save them. Then "ls
      > t*" in bash didn't show spurious filenames, and these files' lengths weren't
      > zero anymore. If you have other cases in mind, I'm ready to check.

      I will try at some later stage when I have time/will to copy and apply the patch,
      but I always had problems when a partially completed filename contained a single
      quote where it wouldn't complete further. With

      wildmode=longest,list,full

      and files with names

      It's good
      It's bad
      It's ugly

      the completion would always fail. I would type I<Tab> which would yield "It\'s\ "
      typing g<Tab> then would fail with a beep.

      Also, it was somewhat odd to obtain, for these files

      It is odd
      It's odd

      If I give I<Tab> the result is "It\". Kinda fair enough as whatever character
      comes next does need to be escaped, but still, seems a little strange.

      At any rate, those are my experiences and it would be interesting to know if
      they're fixed. It is really the quotes that caused problems. Completing works fine
      for a set of files like

      It is good
      It is bad
      It is ugly

      Cheers,

      Ben.

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 16 6:31 AM
        Adri Verhoef wrote:

        > Well, I don't know what happened, but after one more batch of tests
        > suddenly everything seems to work that was earlier reported as bad.
        > One thing that was strange though: Vim reported to have patch #215
        > installed twice, while I can't remember I downloaded that one even
        > once. :-|
        >
        > Everyone, I'll promise to find another case that doesn't work next
        > time! :-)

        If I'm not mistaken then this message came after the one about
        reproducing the problem. Also, I don't appear to be able to reproduce
        the problem with a quote in the directory name and a space in the file
        name. When 'shell' is "sh" or "bash".

        So I'll remove this from my todo list. Can always put it back when you
        discover another weird name that doesn't work.

        --
        Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
        Because they taste funny.