Re: Bug in FAQ at http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi,

      On Jan 2, 2008 3:18 PM, John Beckett <johnb.beckett@...> wrote:

      > Richard Hartmann wrote:
      > > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl at 32.1:
      > > - $ stty -ixon -xoff
      > > + $ stty -ixon -ixoff
      >
      > Three months ago Yegappan Lakshmanan asked me to put the FAQ on the Vim Tips
      > wiki. He referred me to the txt and html versions:
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_faq.txt
      > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/vimfaq.html

      There used to be a cron job that periodically converted the text
      version of the FAQ to
      the HTML version and uploaded it to the Vim online site. I think that
      stopped working
      a few years ago.

      When I get some free time, I will upload the Vim FAQ to the new wiki site.

      - Yegappan

      > These are dated January 2005 and already have your correction (the document
      > you found is dated January 2004).
      >
      > We started discussing moving the FAQ, but nothing has been done yet. I have
      > just finished cleaning all imported tips from 1 to 1504, but have a few more
      > housekeeping things to attend to. Then I am going to put the FAQ on the wiki
      > (http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page), and will invite comment at vim_use
      > when ready. The intention is to split the FAQ into 37 wiki pages (one for
      > each section), and have the community maintain the FAQ, rather than relying
      > on one person. The disadvantage is that there won't be a single file that
      > people can download to get the whole FAQ.
      >
      > John

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2008
        On Jan 3, 2008 3:58 AM, Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappanl@...> wrote:

        > There used to be a cron job that periodically converted the text
        > version of the FAQ to
        > the HTML version and uploaded it to the Vim online site. I think that
        > stopped working
        > a few years ago.

        Would it make sense to try and export the wiki to that site or, at least, add
        warnings to the FAQ pages that they are not current any more and a pointer
        to the wiki?

        Richard