Re: ftp and rsync errors

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
      Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
      > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      >> Problem 1: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/ (and subdirectories) times out.
      >>
      >> Workaround: Use ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/vim/ instead.
      >>
      >> Note:
      >> - ftp.vim.org has multiple DNS: 192.87.102.42 times out; 192.87.102.43 is
      >> reachable.
      >> - From there, /pub/vim is a long chain of symlinks, at least one of which
      >> apparently takes forever to resolve.
      >>

      > Unfortunately, for neither ftp.vim.org nor ftp.nluug.nl am I able to cd
      > to pub/vim . As TM said, /pub/vim/ on both sites yields a chain of
      > symlinks:
      > ie. /pub -> /vol/1/.CLUSTER/var_ftp/pub
      >
      > and from there,
      > vim -> editors/vim
      >
      > However, cd editors and ls vim shows:
      > vim -> vim -> ../../site/ftp.oce.nl/pub/vim
      >
      > Going through ../../site/ftp.oce.nl/pub succeeds, and
      > vim -> vim -> ../../../vol/2/vim
      >
      > Finally, cd ../../../vol/2 succeeds, but
      > (the directory is empty)
      >
      > That is confusing! And, unfortunately, in the words of CJCherryh
      > (albeit not applied to this), infelicitous.
      >
      > Happy New Year!
      > Chip Campbell

      Apparently, the fact that I succeeded to connect to a server where /pub/vim
      was a vailable, and even to downloaded all patches till 7.1.180, was a
      one-time non-repeatable fluke: I cn't do it again.

      For anyone wishing to download the recent patches, here are temporary links
      until the server comes reliably back online:

      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.170
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.171
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.172
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.173
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.174
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.175
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.176
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.177
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.178
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.179
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/7.1.180
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/MD5
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/MD5SUMS
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/README

      These are NOT reachable by FTP, except through a username and password which
      I'm not giving away. Click right on each of the links to the files you need,
      then "Save Link Target" (or the equivalent for your mailer).

      202. You're amazed to find out Spam is a food.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        > Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
        [...]
        >> Unfortunately, for neither ftp.vim.org nor ftp.nluug.nl am I able to cd
        >> to pub/vim . As TM said, /pub/vim/ on both sites yields a chain of
        >> symlinks:
        [...]
        >> That is confusing! And, unfortunately, in the words of CJCherryh
        >> (albeit not applied to this), infelicitous.
        >>
        >> Happy New Year!
        >> Chip Campbell
        >
        > Apparently, the fact that I succeeded to connect to a server where /pub/vim
        > was a vailable, and even to downloaded all patches till 7.1.180, was a
        > one-time non-repeatable fluke: I cn't do it again.
        [...]

        I rebooted my Linux system (for another reason), and now I can access both the
        FTP and the rsync servers. Dr. Chip, what about you?

        On the road, ZIPPY is a pinhead without a purpose, but never without a
        POINT ...

      • Kazuo Teramoto
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
          On Jan 1, 2008 6:10 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          > Apparently, the fact that I succeeded to connect to a server where /pub/vim
          > was a vailable, and even to downloaded all patches till 7.1.180, was a
          > one-time non-repeatable fluke: I cn't do it again.

          ftp.vim.org is working for me, I can cd to pub/vim and get patches...

          --
          «Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
          Marie Sklodowska Curie.

        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2008
            Kazuo Teramoto wrote:

            >On Jan 1, 2008 6:10 PM, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
            >

            >>Apparently, the fact that I succeeded to connect to a server where /pub/vim
            >>was a vailable, and even to downloaded all patches till 7.1.180, was a
            >>one-time non-repeatable fluke: I cn't do it again.
            >>

            >ftp.vim.org is working for me, I can cd to pub/vim and get patches...

            I can now get in with my linux box, too!

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell