--remote-tab-silent not mentioned in --help

  • Nico Weber
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007
      Hi all,

      Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
      not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
      that's a good idea. What do you think?

      Nico

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007
        Nico Weber wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
        > not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
        > that's a good idea. What do you think?
        >
        > Nico

        Upgrade your runtime files. --remote-tab-silent is mentioned in my version of
        remote.txt, dated 2006 Apr 30 on line 1, or Oct. 27 on its directory timestamp.

        I was born because it was a habit in those days, people didn't know
        anything else ... I was not a Child Prodigy, because a Child Prodigy is
        a child who knows as much when it is a child as it does when it grows
        up.
        -- Will Rogers

      • Bill McCarthy
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007
          On Sat 29-Dec-07 6:36pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > Nico Weber wrote:

          >> Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
          >> not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
          >> that's a good idea. What do you think?

          > Upgrade your runtime files. --remote-tab-silent is mentioned in my version of
          > remote.txt, dated 2006 Apr 30 on line 1, or Oct. 27 on its directory timestamp.

          Yes it's in the help file, but Nico is asking, I believe,
          about the output from 'vim --help' or 'gvim --help' which
          only display the following --remote variants:

          --remote <files> Edit <files> in a Vim server if possible
          --remote-silent <files> Same, don't complain if there is no server
          --remote-wait <files> As --remote but wait for files to have been edited
          --remote-wait-silent <files> Same, don't complain if there is no server
          --remote-tab <files> As --remote but open tab page for each file
          --remote-send <keys> Send <keys> to a Vim server and exit
          --remote-expr <expr> Evaluate <expr> in a Vim server and print result

          gvim displays the same ones.

          Bill

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007
            Bill McCarthy wrote:
            > On Sat 29-Dec-07 6:36pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >
            >> Nico Weber wrote:
            >
            >>> Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
            >>> not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
            >>> that's a good idea. What do you think?
            >
            >> Upgrade your runtime files. --remote-tab-silent is mentioned in my version of
            >> remote.txt, dated 2006 Apr 30 on line 1, or Oct. 27 on its directory timestamp.
            >
            > Yes it's in the help file, but Nico is asking, I believe,
            > about the output from 'vim --help' or 'gvim --help' which
            > only display the following --remote variants:
            >
            > --remote <files> Edit <files> in a Vim server if possible
            > --remote-silent <files> Same, don't complain if there is no server
            > --remote-wait <files> As --remote but wait for files to have been edited
            > --remote-wait-silent <files> Same, don't complain if there is no server
            > --remote-tab <files> As --remote but open tab page for each file
            > --remote-send <keys> Send <keys> to a Vim server and exit
            > --remote-expr <expr> Evaluate <expr> in a Vim server and print result
            >
            > gvim displays the same ones.

            ah, sorry; but the output of vim --help is already so long that I need to
            filter it thru |more (or, on Linux, |less) in order to be able to read it.

            "All my life I wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more
            specific."
            -- Jane Wagner

          • ap
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007
              On Dec 30, 2:34 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
              wrote:

              > ah, sorry; but the output of vim --help is already so long that I need to
              > filter it thru |more (or, on Linux, |less) in order to be able to read it.

              That is what this programs are made for.

              I think the output of '--help' should be complete ,in that it lists
              all possible arguments of a program. It is not mentioned
              in the manpage either.

              -ap

            • Richard Hartmann
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                On Dec 30, 2007 12:34 PM, ap <politza@...> wrote:

                > I think the output of '--help' should be complete ,in that it lists
                > all possible arguments of a program.

                Agreed.

                Richard

              • Nico Weber
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2008
                  > Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
                  > not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
                  > that's a good idea. What do you think?

                  There has been some positive feedback on this, so here's a patch to
                  implement it.

                  Bye,
                  Nico

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Nico Weber wrote:

                    > > Ted Pavlic mentioned on the vim-mac list that --remote-tab-silent is
                    > > not mentioned in the --help output and suggests to add it. I think
                    > > that's a good idea. What do you think?
                    >
                    > There has been some positive feedback on this, so here's a patch to
                    > implement it.

                    Thanks. I had actually already done something like this but haven't
                    sent out the patch yet.

                    --
                    Q: How do you tell the difference between a female cat and a male cat?
                    A: You ask it a question and if HE answers, it's a male but, if SHE