Re: encrypt/decrypt functions for a session

  • Vladimir Marek
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2007
      > > On unixes that have /proc, you can get pid of vim examining
      > > /proc/self.
      > [...]

      Does not work on Solaris.

      --
      Vlad
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 5, 2007
        thomas wrote:
        > On Dec 6, 5:06 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
        > wrote:
        >> thomas wrote:
        >> Vim can store the current time -- see ":help reltime()". Store it when the
        >> user types in the master password, compare it with the time when a password is
        >> needed, and ask the master password again if the time interval is "too long".
        >
        > Yes, but how do you make sure the interval is ever checked?

        by making the check a part of whatever routine you use to supply the stored
        password.

        > IIRC
        > CursorHold[I] events don't get triggered when vim doesn't have the
        > focus. And you don't know which value 'updatetime' has. If you check
        > only when the password is accessed, somebody could use the :debug
        > trick
        > even hours/days after you last used the password.

        You could add additional checks, e.g. in CursorHold, CursorHoldI and/or
        FocusGained autocommands.

        > BTW I would really like to see timer events that get triggered even
        > when
        > vim is in the background. I started writing a kind of PIM plugin but
        > stopped at about 80% because I didn't have the time to find a way to
        > reliably show alarms in a cross-platform manner. But this is a
        > different subject of course.
        >
        > thomas.

        Maybe you could use some external program (such as Unix's "at" or "cron", but
        possibly handcrafted to use shorter timespans) to periodically trigger
        something in your Vim instance via the |clientserver| feature? IIUC, it could
        even be a Vim script running on the "client" Vim, looping forever with a
        ":sleep" command in the loop, and periodically triggering some effect in the
        "server" Vim.

        Paul's Law:
        You can't fall off the floor.