Re: vim scrolling painfully slow

  • Vladimir Marek
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
      > > Do you have syntax highlighting enabled? If so, try turning it off
      > > and see if that helps. It can take vim a long time to highlight
      > > files with long lines.

      > Did not notice differences with syntax on/off. Both were equally slow.

      I guess that cat-ing file, or viewing it in less is faster than vim,
      isn't it ? That would probably mean that we use the terminal somehow
      in-efficiently ? I haven't red the source code at all, but I would guess
      that vim is re-drawing whole screen even if you shift down by one line.

      Just out of curiosity, could you try opening file in less, and scroll
      line by line down and up ? Is it also slow ?

      --
      Vlad
    • Dominique Pelle
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2007
        On Nov 18, 2007 8:26 AM, govindrjujare@...
        <govindrjujare@...> wrote:

        > I connect from windows xp to solaris using telnet. I was scrolling
        > using vim editor and saw something strange. If I do a Ctrl-F twice
        > in succession, the first screen gets updated quickly (almost in
        > no time) but the second screen takes very long time (about 8
        > seconds).
        >
        > To eliminate problems in network, keyboard, memory on windows
        > side, I tried the vi editor. It scrolls so fast, I barely see the
        > refresh
        > happening.
        >
        > Any ideas ?

        You may want to try different tips explained in ":help slow-terminal".

        -- Dominique