Re: creating a development environemnt for VIM

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
      Matthew Wozniski wrote:
      > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:33:25PM -0800, MrTomer wrote:
      >> can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
      >> building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
      >> please provide more than just:
      >>
      >> apt-get source vim
      >> apt-get source vim-dev
      >>
      >> because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
      >> which you can go
      >>
      >> ./configure
      >> ./make
      >>
      >> and have the thing running....
      >> or is that too much to ask? not sure...
      >
      > As posted by me 2 days ago, with one minor correction:
      >
      > On an Ubuntu system, or any Debian-based system, it's very easy.
      >
      > # Install all required development packages/build dependencies:
      > $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-full
      >
      > # Change to some directory we don't mind mucking up:
      > $ cd /tmp
      >
      > # Download the vim source:
      > $ apt-get source vim-full
      >
      > # Move to the patches directory
      > $ cd vim-7.1/upstream/patches
      >
      > # Get the latest patches
      > $ python get_patches.py
      >
      > # Move to the toplevel directory containing the debian subdirectory
      > $ cd ../..
      >
      > # The system I was on already had these packages, but I don't think they get
      > # pulled in automatically by the apt-get build-dep, so you might need this:
      > $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
      >
      > # Then, actually build with
      > $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
      >
      > # That command will take a while and will pop out one .deb for each variant.
      > Then, you can just
      > $ sudo dpkg -i /tmp/vim-full_7.1*.deb
      >
      > Obviously replacing vim-full with whatever your preferred variant is.
      >
      > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
      > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
      > address accordingly.
      >
      > ~Matt

      You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
      also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
      definitely belong here.

      As I said a couple of days ago, see also
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
      tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
      "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
      sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.

      117. You are more comfortable typing in html.

    • Ben Schmidt
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        >> Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
        >> submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
        >> address accordingly.
        >>
        >> ~Matt
        >
        > You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
        > also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
        > definitely belong here.

        Yeah; I have observed with my postings that Google groups substitutes its own
        Reply-To regardless of what you set when you post.

        Ben.

      • Matthew Wozniski
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
          On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:45:54AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > Matthew Wozniski wrote:
          > > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
          > > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
          > > address accordingly.
          > >
          > > ~Matt
          >
          > You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
          > also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
          > definitely belong here.

          Ah, terribly sorry. Usually, -dev groups are only for patches/bug reports.
          And google groups definitely just overrode me. Ah, well.

          > As I said a couple of days ago, see also
          > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
          > tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
          > "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
          > sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.

          They cannot be out of date, since part of the install process ftp's
          down the latest patches from ftp.vim.org, and they produce packages
          that can be installed through your package manager, rather than
          requiring contortions to track dynamic library dependencies and such.
          ./configure && make && make install is nice and all, but it has
          serious shortcomings in terms of versioning and cleanup, especially
          with regard to tracking which versions of all of your shared object
          files you still need around on your system.

          Of course, they do include a few unofficial patches (25 in the latest
          Ubuntu sources), but that's certainly not a bad thing; it is, after
          all, how open source moves forward, and most of them will certainly be
          moved to upstream as soon as the distro maintainers have time to
          handle it.

          I find it rather silly to suggest using `make install' when there's
          a better alternative being offered.

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.

          ~Matt

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
            Matthew Wozniski wrote:
            > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:45:54AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> Matthew Wozniski wrote:
            >>> Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
            >>> submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
            >>> address accordingly.
            >>>
            >>> ~Matt
            >> You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
            >> also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
            >> definitely belong here.
            >
            > Ah, terribly sorry. Usually, -dev groups are only for patches/bug reports.
            > And google groups definitely just overrode me. Ah, well.
            >
            >> As I said a couple of days ago, see also
            >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
            >> tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
            >> "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
            >> sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.
            >
            > They cannot be out of date, since part of the install process ftp's
            > down the latest patches from ftp.vim.org, and they produce packages
            > that can be installed through your package manager, rather than
            > requiring contortions to track dynamic library dependencies and such.
            > ./configure && make && make install is nice and all, but it has
            > serious shortcomings in terms of versioning and cleanup, especially
            > with regard to tracking which versions of all of your shared object
            > files you still need around on your system.
            >
            > Of course, they do include a few unofficial patches (25 in the latest
            > Ubuntu sources), but that's certainly not a bad thing; it is, after
            > all, how open source moves forward, and most of them will certainly be
            > moved to upstream as soon as the distro maintainers have time to
            > handle it.
            >
            > I find it rather silly to suggest using `make install' when there's
            > a better alternative being offered.
            >
            >> Best regards,
            >> Tony.
            >
            > ~Matt

            "Better" is a matter of taste; and I'm wary of "unofficial patches". Depending
            on to whom you listen, Debian's "own" patches either "fix" (according to
            Debian) or "introduce" (according to e.g. Mozilla) instabilities in the
            software they distribute. I suppose the same might well apply to Ubuntu and
            Vim, though I'm with another distributor (Novell/SuSE) whose Vim distributions
            I'm not using because they lag too much behind Bram's.

            The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age
            brings wisdom.
            -- H. L. Mencken

          • Vladimir Marek
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
              I have been using

              svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim7.1
              ./configure
              make

              Is it wrong ?

              Thanks
              --
              Vlad
            • MrTomer
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                Thanks for the detailed help.Unfortunately im having problems:

                Quoting the terminal window:
                "
                Applying patch 900_debcontrol.vim.diff
                patching file vim/runtime/syntax/debcontrol.vim Hunk #1 succeeded at
                28 (offset 7 lines).

                Applying patch 901_debchangelog.vim.diff patching file vim/runtime/
                syntax/debchangelog.vim

                Applying patch cindent-fix.patch
                patching file vim/src/edit.c
                Hunk #1 FAILED at 8231.
                1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file vim/src/edit.c Patch cindent-
                fix.patch does not apply (enforce with
                -f)
                make: *** [extract-stamp] Error 1
                "

                BTW i get vim7.0 not 7.1, when i do apt-get source vim-full

                On Nov 5, 5:52 pm, Matthew Wozniski <m...@...> wrote:
                > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:33:25PM -0800, MrTomer wrote:
                > > can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
                > > building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
                > > please provide more than just:
                >
                > > apt-get source vim
                > > apt-get source vim-dev
                >
                > > because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
                > > which you can go
                >
                > > ./configure
                > > ./make
                >
                > > and have the thing running....
                > > or is that too much to ask? not sure...
                >
                > As posted by me 2 days ago, with one minor correction:
                >
                > On an Ubuntu system, or any Debian-based system, it's very easy.
                >
                > # Install all required development packages/build dependencies:
                > $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-full
                >
                > # Change to some directory we don't mind mucking up:
                > $ cd /tmp
                >
                > # Download the vim source:
                > $ apt-get source vim-full
                >
                > # Move to the patches directory
                > $ cd vim-7.1/upstream/patches
                >
                > # Get the latest patches
                > $ python get_patches.py
                >
                > # Move to the toplevel directory containing the debian subdirectory
                > $ cd ../..
                >
                > # The system I was on already had these packages, but I don't think they get
                > # pulled in automatically by the apt-get build-dep, so you might need this:
                > $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
                >
                > # Then, actually build with
                > $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
                >
                > # That command will take a while and will pop out one .deb for each variant.
                > Then, you can just
                > $ sudo dpkg -i /tmp/vim-full_7.1*.deb
                >
                > Obviously replacing vim-full with whatever your preferred variant is.
                >
                > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
                > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
                > address accordingly.
                >
                > ~Matt

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                  MrTomer wrote:
                  > Thanks for the detailed help.Unfortunately im having problems:
                  >
                  > Quoting the terminal window:
                  > "
                  > Applying patch 900_debcontrol.vim.diff
                  > patching file vim/runtime/syntax/debcontrol.vim Hunk #1 succeeded at
                  > 28 (offset 7 lines).
                  >
                  > Applying patch 901_debchangelog.vim.diff patching file vim/runtime/
                  > syntax/debchangelog.vim
                  >
                  > Applying patch cindent-fix.patch
                  > patching file vim/src/edit.c
                  > Hunk #1 FAILED at 8231.
                  > 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file vim/src/edit.c Patch cindent-
                  > fix.patch does not apply (enforce with
                  > -f)
                  > make: *** [extract-stamp] Error 1
                  > "
                  >
                  > BTW i get vim7.0 not 7.1, when i do apt-get source vim-full

                  Too bad. Well, after you get the dependencies, you may want to fall back on
                  the method described on my howto page
                  http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm , which doesn't
                  presume to know which Unix/Linux distribution you're using (and thus, mentions
                  that you should make sure of having all the required "development" packages,
                  but doesn't tell you how to get them because the method and the package names
                  vary from distribution to distribution).

                  All of Bram's "official" patches have names of the form 7.1.001 (where 001 is
                  the patch number in decimal, and increases monotonically on later patches).
                  They are intended to be applied in ascending numeric sequence. Anything else
                  is "unofficial".

                  "I do not know myself, and God forbid that I should."
                  -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

                • MrTomer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                    Hi Matthew
                    Ok thanks for your help. You were right, this works like a charm on
                    Gutsy, and before i tried it on fiesty. I am now building and even
                    debugging vim!
                    thanks again...