creating a development environemnt for VIM

  • MrTomer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
      can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
      building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
      please provide more than just:

      apt-get source vim
      apt-get source vim-dev

      because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
      which you can go

      ./configure
      ./make

      and have the thing running....
      or is that too much to ask? not sure...

    • Matthew Wozniski
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
        On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:33:25PM -0800, MrTomer wrote:
        > can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
        > building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
        > please provide more than just:
        >
        > apt-get source vim
        > apt-get source vim-dev
        >
        > because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
        > which you can go
        >
        > ./configure
        > ./make
        >
        > and have the thing running....
        > or is that too much to ask? not sure...

        As posted by me 2 days ago, with one minor correction:

        On an Ubuntu system, or any Debian-based system, it's very easy.

        # Install all required development packages/build dependencies:
        $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-full

        # Change to some directory we don't mind mucking up:
        $ cd /tmp

        # Download the vim source:
        $ apt-get source vim-full

        # Move to the patches directory
        $ cd vim-7.1/upstream/patches

        # Get the latest patches
        $ python get_patches.py

        # Move to the toplevel directory containing the debian subdirectory
        $ cd ../..

        # The system I was on already had these packages, but I don't think they get
        # pulled in automatically by the apt-get build-dep, so you might need this:
        $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot

        # Then, actually build with
        $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

        # That command will take a while and will pop out one .deb for each variant.
        Then, you can just
        $ sudo dpkg -i /tmp/vim-full_7.1*.deb

        Obviously replacing vim-full with whatever your preferred variant is.

        Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
        submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
        address accordingly.

        ~Matt

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
          Matthew Wozniski wrote:
          > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:33:25PM -0800, MrTomer wrote:
          >> can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
          >> building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
          >> please provide more than just:
          >>
          >> apt-get source vim
          >> apt-get source vim-dev
          >>
          >> because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
          >> which you can go
          >>
          >> ./configure
          >> ./make
          >>
          >> and have the thing running....
          >> or is that too much to ask? not sure...
          >
          > As posted by me 2 days ago, with one minor correction:
          >
          > On an Ubuntu system, or any Debian-based system, it's very easy.
          >
          > # Install all required development packages/build dependencies:
          > $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-full
          >
          > # Change to some directory we don't mind mucking up:
          > $ cd /tmp
          >
          > # Download the vim source:
          > $ apt-get source vim-full
          >
          > # Move to the patches directory
          > $ cd vim-7.1/upstream/patches
          >
          > # Get the latest patches
          > $ python get_patches.py
          >
          > # Move to the toplevel directory containing the debian subdirectory
          > $ cd ../..
          >
          > # The system I was on already had these packages, but I don't think they get
          > # pulled in automatically by the apt-get build-dep, so you might need this:
          > $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
          >
          > # Then, actually build with
          > $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
          >
          > # That command will take a while and will pop out one .deb for each variant.
          > Then, you can just
          > $ sudo dpkg -i /tmp/vim-full_7.1*.deb
          >
          > Obviously replacing vim-full with whatever your preferred variant is.
          >
          > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
          > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
          > address accordingly.
          >
          > ~Matt

          You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
          also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
          definitely belong here.

          As I said a couple of days ago, see also
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
          tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
          "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
          sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.

          117. You are more comfortable typing in html.

        • Ben Schmidt
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
            >> Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
            >> submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
            >> address accordingly.
            >>
            >> ~Matt
            >
            > You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
            > also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
            > definitely belong here.

            Yeah; I have observed with my postings that Google groups substitutes its own
            Reply-To regardless of what you set when you post.

            Ben.

          • Matthew Wozniski
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
              On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:45:54AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              > Matthew Wozniski wrote:
              > > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
              > > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
              > > address accordingly.
              > >
              > > ~Matt
              >
              > You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
              > also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
              > definitely belong here.

              Ah, terribly sorry. Usually, -dev groups are only for patches/bug reports.
              And google groups definitely just overrode me. Ah, well.

              > As I said a couple of days ago, see also
              > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
              > tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
              > "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
              > sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.

              They cannot be out of date, since part of the install process ftp's
              down the latest patches from ftp.vim.org, and they produce packages
              that can be installed through your package manager, rather than
              requiring contortions to track dynamic library dependencies and such.
              ./configure && make && make install is nice and all, but it has
              serious shortcomings in terms of versioning and cleanup, especially
              with regard to tracking which versions of all of your shared object
              files you still need around on your system.

              Of course, they do include a few unofficial patches (25 in the latest
              Ubuntu sources), but that's certainly not a bad thing; it is, after
              all, how open source moves forward, and most of them will certainly be
              moved to upstream as soon as the distro maintainers have time to
              handle it.

              I find it rather silly to suggest using `make install' when there's
              a better alternative being offered.

              > Best regards,
              > Tony.

              ~Matt

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2007
                Matthew Wozniski wrote:
                > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:45:54AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                >> Matthew Wozniski wrote:
                >>> Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
                >>> submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
                >>> address accordingly.
                >>>
                >>> ~Matt
                >> You didn't, or Google Groups overrode you, but that doesn't matter. Vim-dev is
                >> also for questions about configuring and compiling Vim. These questions
                >> definitely belong here.
                >
                > Ah, terribly sorry. Usually, -dev groups are only for patches/bug reports.
                > And google groups definitely just overrode me. Ah, well.
                >
                >> As I said a couple of days ago, see also
                >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for a step-by-step
                >> tutorial about building Vim from the official sources (not any "debian" or
                >> "ubuntu" sources which might be less than up-to-date or contain patches not
                >> sactioned by Bram) on any Unix-like system.
                >
                > They cannot be out of date, since part of the install process ftp's
                > down the latest patches from ftp.vim.org, and they produce packages
                > that can be installed through your package manager, rather than
                > requiring contortions to track dynamic library dependencies and such.
                > ./configure && make && make install is nice and all, but it has
                > serious shortcomings in terms of versioning and cleanup, especially
                > with regard to tracking which versions of all of your shared object
                > files you still need around on your system.
                >
                > Of course, they do include a few unofficial patches (25 in the latest
                > Ubuntu sources), but that's certainly not a bad thing; it is, after
                > all, how open source moves forward, and most of them will certainly be
                > moved to upstream as soon as the distro maintainers have time to
                > handle it.
                >
                > I find it rather silly to suggest using `make install' when there's
                > a better alternative being offered.
                >
                >> Best regards,
                >> Tony.
                >
                > ~Matt

                "Better" is a matter of taste; and I'm wary of "unofficial patches". Depending
                on to whom you listen, Debian's "own" patches either "fix" (according to
                Debian) or "introduce" (according to e.g. Mozilla) instabilities in the
                software they distribute. I suppose the same might well apply to Ubuntu and
                Vim, though I'm with another distributor (Novell/SuSE) whose Vim distributions
                I'm not using because they lag too much behind Bram's.

                The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age
                brings wisdom.
                -- H. L. Mencken

              • Vladimir Marek
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                  I have been using

                  svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim7.1
                  ./configure
                  make

                  Is it wrong ?

                  Thanks
                  --
                  Vlad
                • MrTomer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                    Thanks for the detailed help.Unfortunately im having problems:

                    Quoting the terminal window:
                    "
                    Applying patch 900_debcontrol.vim.diff
                    patching file vim/runtime/syntax/debcontrol.vim Hunk #1 succeeded at
                    28 (offset 7 lines).

                    Applying patch 901_debchangelog.vim.diff patching file vim/runtime/
                    syntax/debchangelog.vim

                    Applying patch cindent-fix.patch
                    patching file vim/src/edit.c
                    Hunk #1 FAILED at 8231.
                    1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file vim/src/edit.c Patch cindent-
                    fix.patch does not apply (enforce with
                    -f)
                    make: *** [extract-stamp] Error 1
                    "

                    BTW i get vim7.0 not 7.1, when i do apt-get source vim-full

                    On Nov 5, 5:52 pm, Matthew Wozniski <m...@...> wrote:
                    > On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:33:25PM -0800, MrTomer wrote:
                    > > can someone provide steps that can be followed if i want to start
                    > > building VIM on my machine? I have gutsy ubuntu.
                    > > please provide more than just:
                    >
                    > > apt-get source vim
                    > > apt-get source vim-dev
                    >
                    > > because that fails the configure! i would like instructions, after
                    > > which you can go
                    >
                    > > ./configure
                    > > ./make
                    >
                    > > and have the thing running....
                    > > or is that too much to ask? not sure...
                    >
                    > As posted by me 2 days ago, with one minor correction:
                    >
                    > On an Ubuntu system, or any Debian-based system, it's very easy.
                    >
                    > # Install all required development packages/build dependencies:
                    > $ sudo apt-get build-dep vim-full
                    >
                    > # Change to some directory we don't mind mucking up:
                    > $ cd /tmp
                    >
                    > # Download the vim source:
                    > $ apt-get source vim-full
                    >
                    > # Move to the patches directory
                    > $ cd vim-7.1/upstream/patches
                    >
                    > # Get the latest patches
                    > $ python get_patches.py
                    >
                    > # Move to the toplevel directory containing the debian subdirectory
                    > $ cd ../..
                    >
                    > # The system I was on already had these packages, but I don't think they get
                    > # pulled in automatically by the apt-get build-dep, so you might need this:
                    > $ sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
                    >
                    > # Then, actually build with
                    > $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
                    >
                    > # That command will take a while and will pop out one .deb for each variant.
                    > Then, you can just
                    > $ sudo dpkg -i /tmp/vim-full_7.1*.deb
                    >
                    > Obviously replacing vim-full with whatever your preferred variant is.
                    >
                    > Also, this doesn't belong on vim-dev, it belongs on vim-use. vim-dev is for
                    > submitting and discussing bug reports and patches. I'm setting the reply-to
                    > address accordingly.
                    >
                    > ~Matt

                  • Tony Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2007
                      MrTomer wrote:
                      > Thanks for the detailed help.Unfortunately im having problems:
                      >
                      > Quoting the terminal window:
                      > "
                      > Applying patch 900_debcontrol.vim.diff
                      > patching file vim/runtime/syntax/debcontrol.vim Hunk #1 succeeded at
                      > 28 (offset 7 lines).
                      >
                      > Applying patch 901_debchangelog.vim.diff patching file vim/runtime/
                      > syntax/debchangelog.vim
                      >
                      > Applying patch cindent-fix.patch
                      > patching file vim/src/edit.c
                      > Hunk #1 FAILED at 8231.
                      > 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file vim/src/edit.c Patch cindent-
                      > fix.patch does not apply (enforce with
                      > -f)
                      > make: *** [extract-stamp] Error 1
                      > "
                      >
                      > BTW i get vim7.0 not 7.1, when i do apt-get source vim-full

                      Too bad. Well, after you get the dependencies, you may want to fall back on
                      the method described on my howto page
                      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm , which doesn't
                      presume to know which Unix/Linux distribution you're using (and thus, mentions
                      that you should make sure of having all the required "development" packages,
                      but doesn't tell you how to get them because the method and the package names
                      vary from distribution to distribution).

                      All of Bram's "official" patches have names of the form 7.1.001 (where 001 is
                      the patch number in decimal, and increases monotonically on later patches).
                      They are intended to be applied in ascending numeric sequence. Anything else
                      is "unofficial".

                      "I do not know myself, and God forbid that I should."
                      -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

                    • MrTomer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 7, 2007
                        Hi Matthew
                        Ok thanks for your help. You were right, this works like a charm on
                        Gutsy, and before i tried it on fiesty. I am now building and even
                        debugging vim!
                        thanks again...