Re: make test failure - undo

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      John Mullin wrote:

      > I ran "make test" after patch 7.1.130 and it failed test61 with the
      > following diff...
      >
      > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      > 20c20
      > < 23456789
      > ---
      > > 123456789
      >
      > I reran the test a few times and noticed that resizing the urxvt terminal
      > during the test caused the test to fail more often.
      >
      > I re-ran "make test61.out" in a loop (removing the out file each time)
      > with the terminal window minimised and it failed one test (loop 47) in 130
      > loops. The failure had the following error.
      >
      > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      > 20c20
      > < 3456789
      > ---
      > Tests for undo tree.
      > Tests for undo tree.
      > > 123456789
      >
      > I reversed patch 7.1.130 and I ran the loop (minimised), it failed on loop
      > 246 of 264 with the following diff...
      >
      > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      > 20c20
      > < 23456789
      > ---
      > Tests for undo tree.
      > > 123456789
      >

      > I don't know if this is a genuine failure of some race or mistake in
      > the test.

      It's a race condition. The test checks if jumping back in time works
      for undo. This is inherently tricky, especially on a slow system or
      when something else takes away CPU time. I did manage to make it mostly
      work, but it may still fail once in a while.

      If it works more than 50% of the time it should be OK.

      --
      OLD WOMAN: King of the WHO?
      ARTHUR: The Britons.