Re: Getting runtime files with AAP

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      Alexei Alexandrov wrote:

      > I try to update my Vim runtime files with AAP. I have AAP 1.090
      > installed, plus Python 2.5. I execute command
      >
      > > aap -f ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap fetch
      >
      > which is a copy-paste from Vim site and get the following error:
      >
      > fetch
      > Aap: c:\cygwin\bin\gcc.EXE --version
      > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
      > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to "main.aap"
      > Aap: Updating recipe "main.aap"
      > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
      > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to
      > "D:\programs\vim\111\main.aap"
      > Cannot read "filetype.vim", guessing fileformat is "dos".
      > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap"
      > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap" to
      > "D:\programs\vim\111\getdos.aap"
      > Aap: Internal Error
      > Aap: Traceback (most recent call last):
      > File "D:\programs\aap\Process.py", line 1163, in Process
      > exec script_string in recdict, recdict
      > File "<string>", line 7, in <module>
      > File "D:\programs\aap\Error.py", line 50, in __init__
      > self.args = args
      > TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
      >
      > Aap: Aborted
      > Aap: More info in the logfile: D:\programs\vim\111\AAPDIR\log
      >
      > What might be the reason of the failure?

      Hmm, perhaps another Python 2.5 incompatibility? At least it works fine
      for me with Python 2.4.2.

      Can you please locate the Process.py file in the aap Exec directory, and
      uncomment the msg_note() call below DEBUG? Then we can see what code is
      actually executed. Aap generates Python code and executes it,
      unfortunately Python then doesn't give good error messages.

      --
      THEOREM: VI is perfect.
      PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6. The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are

    • Alexei Alexandrov
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Hmm, perhaps another Python 2.5 incompatibility? At least it works fine
        > for me with Python 2.4.2.
        >
        > Can you please locate the Process.py file in the aap Exec directory, and
        > uncomment the msg_note() call below DEBUG? Then we can see what code is
        > actually executed. Aap generates Python code and executes it,
        > unfortunately Python then doesn't give good error messages.

        OK, I screwed it up myself...
        Attempt to locate the Process.py file quickly showed that AAP was
        executed not from the location I expected. In fact, some older version
        of APP was picked up - consequence of my recent computer re-installation.

        It now seems to work - it's downloading things at the moment.

        Sorry for the spam annoying spam with spam.

        P.S. In fact, when aap didn't work for me I came up with 2 rsync
        commands which sync up the contents of my Windows VIM runtime files
        pretty well. It leaves my Vim executables untouched and cleans up as
        much as possible at the same time. It also gets only english and russian
        spell files for me:

        rsync --verbose -avzcP --delete --exclude=spell --exclude=*.exe
        --exclude=*.pdb --exclude=*.dll --exclude=*.bat
        ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/dos/ ./

        rsync --verbose -avzcP --delete --include=ru.* --include=en.*
        --exclude=*.spl --exclude=*.sug ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/spell/ ./spell/

        FWIW...