make test failure - undo

  • John Mullin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
      I ran "make test" after patch 7.1.130 and it failed test61 with the
      following diff...

      ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      20c20
      < 23456789
      ---
      > 123456789

      I reran the test a few times and noticed that resizing the urxvt terminal
      during the test caused the test to fail more often.

      I re-ran "make test61.out" in a loop (removing the out file each time)
      with the terminal window minimised and it failed one test (loop 47) in 130
      loops. The failure had the following error.

      ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      20c20
      < 3456789
      ---
      Tests for undo tree.
      Tests for undo tree.
      > 123456789

      I reversed patch 7.1.130 and I ran the loop (minimised), it failed on loop
      246 of 264 with the following diff...

      ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
      20c20
      < 23456789
      ---
      Tests for undo tree.
      > 123456789

      I don't know if this is a genuine failure of some race or mistake in the test.

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1, Included patches: 1-94, 96-130
      Normal version with GTK2 GUI.

      regards,
      JohnM

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2007
        John Mullin wrote:

        > I ran "make test" after patch 7.1.130 and it failed test61 with the
        > following diff...
        >
        > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
        > 20c20
        > < 23456789
        > ---
        > > 123456789
        >
        > I reran the test a few times and noticed that resizing the urxvt terminal
        > during the test caused the test to fail more often.
        >
        > I re-ran "make test61.out" in a loop (removing the out file each time)
        > with the terminal window minimised and it failed one test (loop 47) in 130
        > loops. The failure had the following error.
        >
        > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
        > 20c20
        > < 3456789
        > ---
        > Tests for undo tree.
        > Tests for undo tree.
        > > 123456789
        >
        > I reversed patch 7.1.130 and I ran the loop (minimised), it failed on loop
        > 246 of 264 with the following diff...
        >
        > ../vim -u unix.vim -U NONE --noplugin -s dotest.in test61.in
        > 20c20
        > < 23456789
        > ---
        > Tests for undo tree.
        > > 123456789
        >

        > I don't know if this is a genuine failure of some race or mistake in
        > the test.

        It's a race condition. The test checks if jumping back in time works
        for undo. This is inherently tricky, especially on a slow system or
        when something else takes away CPU time. I did manage to make it mostly
        work, but it may still fail once in a while.

        If it works more than 50% of the time it should be OK.

        --
        OLD WOMAN: King of the WHO?
        ARTHUR: The Britons.