Getting runtime files with AAP

  • Alexei Alexandrov
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi vimmers,

      I try to update my Vim runtime files with AAP. I have AAP 1.090
      installed, plus Python 2.5. I execute command

      > aap -f ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap fetch

      which is a copy-paste from Vim site and get the following error:

      fetch
      Aap: c:\cygwin\bin\gcc.EXE --version
      Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
      Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to "main.aap"
      Aap: Updating recipe "main.aap"
      Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
      Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to
      "D:\programs\vim\111\main.aap"
      Cannot read "filetype.vim", guessing fileformat is "dos".
      Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap"
      Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap" to
      "D:\programs\vim\111\getdos.aap"
      Aap: Internal Error
      Aap: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "D:\programs\aap\Process.py", line 1163, in Process
      exec script_string in recdict, recdict
      File "<string>", line 7, in <module>
      File "D:\programs\aap\Error.py", line 50, in __init__
      self.args = args
      TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

      Aap: Aborted
      Aap: More info in the logfile: D:\programs\vim\111\AAPDIR\log

      What might be the reason of the failure?

      --
      Alexei Alexandrov

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Alexei Alexandrov wrote:

        > I try to update my Vim runtime files with AAP. I have AAP 1.090
        > installed, plus Python 2.5. I execute command
        >
        > > aap -f ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap fetch
        >
        > which is a copy-paste from Vim site and get the following error:
        >
        > fetch
        > Aap: c:\cygwin\bin\gcc.EXE --version
        > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
        > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to "main.aap"
        > Aap: Updating recipe "main.aap"
        > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap"
        > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/main.aap" to
        > "D:\programs\vim\111\main.aap"
        > Cannot read "filetype.vim", guessing fileformat is "dos".
        > Aap: Attempting download of "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap"
        > Aap: Downloaded "ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/getdos.aap" to
        > "D:\programs\vim\111\getdos.aap"
        > Aap: Internal Error
        > Aap: Traceback (most recent call last):
        > File "D:\programs\aap\Process.py", line 1163, in Process
        > exec script_string in recdict, recdict
        > File "<string>", line 7, in <module>
        > File "D:\programs\aap\Error.py", line 50, in __init__
        > self.args = args
        > TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
        >
        > Aap: Aborted
        > Aap: More info in the logfile: D:\programs\vim\111\AAPDIR\log
        >
        > What might be the reason of the failure?

        Hmm, perhaps another Python 2.5 incompatibility? At least it works fine
        for me with Python 2.4.2.

        Can you please locate the Process.py file in the aap Exec directory, and
        uncomment the msg_note() call below DEBUG? Then we can see what code is
        actually executed. Aap generates Python code and executes it,
        unfortunately Python then doesn't give good error messages.

        --
        THEOREM: VI is perfect.
        PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6. The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are

      • Alexei Alexandrov
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Hmm, perhaps another Python 2.5 incompatibility? At least it works fine
          > for me with Python 2.4.2.
          >
          > Can you please locate the Process.py file in the aap Exec directory, and
          > uncomment the msg_note() call below DEBUG? Then we can see what code is
          > actually executed. Aap generates Python code and executes it,
          > unfortunately Python then doesn't give good error messages.

          OK, I screwed it up myself...
          Attempt to locate the Process.py file quickly showed that AAP was
          executed not from the location I expected. In fact, some older version
          of APP was picked up - consequence of my recent computer re-installation.

          It now seems to work - it's downloading things at the moment.

          Sorry for the spam annoying spam with spam.

          P.S. In fact, when aap didn't work for me I came up with 2 rsync
          commands which sync up the contents of my Windows VIM runtime files
          pretty well. It leaves my Vim executables untouched and cleans up as
          much as possible at the same time. It also gets only english and russian
          spell files for me:

          rsync --verbose -avzcP --delete --exclude=spell --exclude=*.exe
          --exclude=*.pdb --exclude=*.dll --exclude=*.bat
          ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/dos/ ./

          rsync --verbose -avzcP --delete --include=ru.* --include=en.*
          --exclude=*.spl --exclude=*.sug ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/spell/ ./spell/

          FWIW...