Compiler warnings (gui_gtk_x11.c)

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2007
      Dear Bram,

      While compiling Vim 7.1.125 a few minutes ago (a full compile since globals.h
      has changed) I noticed a few warnings and thought you might be interested.

      My configure options are at
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm#p1

      The attached text contains only the warnings from the make.log -- intervening
      "uninteresting lines" have been replaced by a single empty line between each
      block of warnings. Most of these are probably beyond your control, but I
      thought you might be interested in the first block.

      Hier liegt ein Mann ganz obnegleich;
      Im Leibe dick, an Suden reich.
      Wir haben ihn ins Grab gesteckt, Here lies a man with sundry flaws
      Weil es uns dunkt er sei verreckt. And numerous Sins upon his head;
      We buried him today because
      As far as we can tell, he's dead.
      -- PDQ Bach's epitaph, as requested by his cousin Betty
      Sue Bach and written by the local doggerel catcher;
      "The Definitive Biography of PDQ Bach", Peter
      Schickele

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > While compiling Vim 7.1.125 a few minutes ago (a full compile since globals.h
        > has changed) I noticed a few warnings and thought you might be interested.
        >
        > My configure options are at
        > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm#p1
        >
        > The attached text contains only the warnings from the make.log -- intervening
        > "uninteresting lines" have been replaced by a single empty line between each
        > block of warnings. Most of these are probably beyond your control, but I
        > thought you might be interested in the first block.

        You can safely ignore the warnings for "differ in signedness", they are
        caused by the Gnome libraries redefining _(). Gnome sometimes has the
        attitude to behave like it's the only library in the world.

        I don't know about this one:

        > gui_gtk_x11.c: In function 'gui_mch_init':
        > gui_gtk_x11.c:3418: warning: not enough variable arguments to fit a sentinel

        That must be gnome_program_init(). What is a sentinel? Perhaps you can
        check your header files.

        All the other warnings look harmless.

        --
        A fool must search for a greater fool to find admiration.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >
          >> While compiling Vim 7.1.125 a few minutes ago (a full compile since globals.h
          >> has changed) I noticed a few warnings and thought you might be interested.
          >>
          >> My configure options are at
          >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm#p1
          >>
          >> The attached text contains only the warnings from the make.log -- intervening
          >> "uninteresting lines" have been replaced by a single empty line between each
          >> block of warnings. Most of these are probably beyond your control, but I
          >> thought you might be interested in the first block.
          >
          > You can safely ignore the warnings for "differ in signedness", they are
          > caused by the Gnome libraries redefining _(). Gnome sometimes has the
          > attitude to behave like it's the only library in the world.

          lol

          > I don't know about this one:
          >
          >> gui_gtk_x11.c: In function 'gui_mch_init':
          >> gui_gtk_x11.c:3418: warning: not enough variable arguments to fit a sentinel

          at the line just before "# else" in

          #ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
          /* Initialize the GNOME libraries. gnome_program_init()/gnome_init()
          * exits on failure, but that's a non-issue because we already called
          * gtk_init_check() in gui_mch_init_check(). */
          if (using_gnome)
          # ifdef HAVE_GTK2
          gnome_program_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT,
          LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE, gui_argc, gui_argv, NULL);
          # else
          gnome_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT, gui_argc, gui_argv);
          # endif
          #endif
          vim_free(gui_argv);
          gui_argv = NULL;

          > That must be gnome_program_init(). What is a sentinel? Perhaps you can
          > check your header files.

          I don't know what the word "sentinel" means in this context. I'm not sure
          which header files to look into, or where. Here are the last two lines of
          ":version":

          Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
          -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12
          -I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/include
          -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0/include -DORBIT2=1
          -pthread -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/cairo
          -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/libxml2
          -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnome-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/gtk-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/gconf/2 -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonoboui-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/include
          -I/opt/gnome/include/gnome-keyring-1 -I/opt/gnome/include/glib-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/opt/gnome/include/orbit-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/opt/gnome/include/bonobo-activation-2.0
          -I/opt/gnome/include/pango-1.0 -I/opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/include
          -I/opt/gnome/include/atk-1.0 -O2 -fno-strength-reduce -Wall
          -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING
          -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
          -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE -I/usr/include/python2.5
          -pthread -I/usr/include -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1 -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i586-linux
          Linking: gcc -L/opt/gnome/lib -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-E
          -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE
          -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0
          -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0
          -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lexpat -lglitz -lpng12
          -lXrender -lXau -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgnomeui-2 -lbonoboui-2 -lgnome-keyring
          -lxml2 -lgnomecanvas-2 -lgnome-2 -lpopt -lart_lgpl_2 -lpangoft2-1.0
          -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0
          -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lexpat -lglitz -lpng12
          -lXrender -lXau -lbonobo-2 -lgnomevfs-2 -lbonobo-activation -lgconf-2
          -lgobject-2.0 -lORBit-2 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lXt
          -lncurses -lacl -lgpm -Wl,-E
          -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE
          /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
          -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi/CORE -lperl -lutil -lc
          -L/usr/lib/python2.5/config -lpython2.5 -lutil -Xlinker -export-dynamic
          -L/usr/lib -ltcl8.4 -lieee -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -lruby -lm

          > All the other warnings look harmless.

          ah, good.

          This Fortue Examined By INSPECTOR NO. 2-14

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > > I don't know about this one:
            > >
            > >> gui_gtk_x11.c: In function 'gui_mch_init':
            > >> gui_gtk_x11.c:3418: warning: not enough variable arguments to fit a sentinel
            >
            > at the line just before "# else" in
            >
            > #ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
            > /* Initialize the GNOME libraries. gnome_program_init()/gnome_init()
            > * exits on failure, but that's a non-issue because we already called
            > * gtk_init_check() in gui_mch_init_check(). */
            > if (using_gnome)
            > # ifdef HAVE_GTK2
            > gnome_program_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT,
            > LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE, gui_argc, gui_argv, NULL);
            > # else
            > gnome_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT, gui_argc, gui_argv);
            > # endif
            > #endif
            > vim_free(gui_argv);
            > gui_argv = NULL;
            >

            > > That must be gnome_program_init(). What is a sentinel? Perhaps you can
            > > check your header files.
            >
            > I don't know what the word "sentinel" means in this context. I'm not sure
            > which header files to look into, or where. Here are the last two lines of
            > ":version":

            This doesn't say which version of Gnome you are using.

            The function definition that is in gnome-program.h looks like this:

            GnomeProgram *
            gnome_program_init (const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
            const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
            int argc, char **argv,
            const char *first_property_name, ...);

            Which would fit our use just fine. Don't know what the warning is for.

            --
            I am always surprised in the Linux world how quickly solutions can be
            obtained. (Imagine sending an email to Bill Gates, asking why Windows

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2007
              Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              >
              >>> I don't know about this one:

              >> at the line just before "# else" in
              >>
              >> #ifdef FEAT_GUI_GNOME
              >> /* Initialize the GNOME libraries. gnome_program_init()/gnome_init()
              >> * exits on failure, but that's a non-issue because we already called
              >> * gtk_init_check() in gui_mch_init_check(). */
              >> if (using_gnome)
              >> # ifdef HAVE_GTK2
              >> gnome_program_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT,
              >> LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE, gui_argc, gui_argv, NULL);
              >> # else
              >> gnome_init(VIMPACKAGE, VIM_VERSION_SHORT, gui_argc, gui_argv);
              >> # endif
              >> #endif
              >> vim_free(gui_argv);
              >> gui_argv = NULL;
              >>
              >>> That must be gnome_program_init(). What is a sentinel? Perhaps you can
              >>> check your header files.
              >> I don't know what the word "sentinel" means in this context. I'm not sure
              >> which header files to look into, or where. Here are the last two lines of
              >> ":version":
              >
              > This doesn't say which version of Gnome you are using.

              The output from "rpm -qa|grep gnome" is quite long. I have uploaded it at
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/rpmgnome.txt

              > The function definition that is in gnome-program.h looks like this:
              >
              > GnomeProgram *
              > gnome_program_init (const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
              > const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
              > int argc, char **argv,
              > const char *first_property_name, ...);
              >
              > Which would fit our use just fine. Don't know what the warning is for.

              In /opt/gnome/include/libgnome-2.0/libgnome/gnome-program.h
              at lines 244 ff.

              /* These are convenience functions that calls gnomelib_preinit(...), have
              popt parse all args, and then call gnomelib_postinit() */
              GnomeProgram *
              gnome_program_init (const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
              const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
              int argc, char **argv,
              const char *first_property_name, ...) G_GNUC_NULL_TERMINATED;

              GnomeProgram *
              gnome_program_initv (GType type,
              const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
              const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
              int argc, char **argv,
              const char *first_property_name, va_list args);
              GnomeProgram*
              gnome_program_init_paramv (GType type,
              const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
              const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
              int argc, char **argv,
              guint nparams, GParameter *params);

              G_END_DECLS

              Well, if we don't know what the warning is for, then I suppose there's nothig
              else to do than leave it as such until we learn what the warning is for.
              :-)

              If bankers can count, how come they have eight windows and only four
              tellers?

            • John Beckett
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
                Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                >> gui_gtk_x11.c:3418: warning: not enough variable
                >> arguments to fit a sentinel
                >
                > The function definition that is in gnome-program.h looks like this:
                >
                > GnomeProgram *
                > gnome_program_init (const char *app_id, const char *app_version,
                > const GnomeModuleInfo *module_info,
                > int argc, char **argv,
                > const char *first_property_name, ...);
                >
                > Which would fit our use just fine. Don't know what the
                > warning is for.

                Googling does not throw much light on the matter, but I see hints that gcc
                wants the caller to pass at least one variable argument. I infer that the
                "sentinel" mentioned here is (void *)0 appended to the variable argument
                list to flag the end. Maybe gcc does that for safety, or maybe gcc checks if
                the source does it. Of course some code would not use a sentinel, but maybe
                it is for safety in case the called function wants it?

                So the warning may go away if there were an extra NULL argument in the
                gnome_program_init() call (so there is one optional argument).

                John