Digraphs

  • Andrew Myers
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
      What's the procedure for proposing new digraphs? There are a lot of
      useful math symbols that could use digraphs.

      -- Andrew

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
        Andrew Myers wrote:
        > What's the procedure for proposing new digraphs? There are a lot of
        > useful math symbols that could use digraphs.
        >
        > -- Andrew

        "Digraphs are taken from the RFC1345 mnemonics". I don't know who is
        responsible for proposing new versions of that RFC but I guess you're in the
        wrong forum for that.

        You can implement new digraphs yourself by means of the ":dig[raphs]" command.
        If you have a whole bunch of it, you can put them in a script. Just be sure
        that 'encoding' is correctly set when you source that script: most of those
        math symbol digraphs will require 'encoding' to be set to UTF-8 or similar.

        If you already have such a script, you can post it, with an appropriate
        description, in the "scripts" section of vim-online
        http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/index.php

        Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
        revolution inevitable.
        -- John F. Kennedy

      • Andrew Myers
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > Andrew Myers wrote:
          >
          >> What's the procedure for proposing new digraphs? There are a lot of
          >> useful math symbols that could use digraphs.
          >>
          >> -- Andrew
          >>

          > "Digraphs are taken from the RFC1345 mnemonics". I don't know who is
          > responsible for proposing new versions of that RFC but I guess you're in the
          > wrong forum for that.
          >
          > You can implement new digraphs yourself by means of the ":dig[raphs]" command.
          > If you have a whole bunch of it, you can put them in a script. Just be sure
          > that 'encoding' is correctly set when you source that script: most of those
          > math symbol digraphs will require 'encoding' to be set to UTF-8 or similar.
          >
          > If you already have such a script, you can post it, with an appropriate
          > description, in the "scripts" section of vim-online
          > http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/index.php
          I think it's a great idea for Vim to be compliant with RFC 1345, but
          that doesn't mean that it wouldn't make it a better editor to support
          some additional digraphs not in the standard. Getting an RFC implemented
          for new digraphs is a highly painful process.

          FYI, here are a few digraphs I had in mind:

          digraph [C 8847
          digraph ]C 8848
          digraph [- 8849
          digraph ]- 8850
          digraph [U 8851
          digraph ]U 8852
          digraph 0+ 8853
          digraph 0- 8854
          digraph 0* 8855
          digraph 0/ 8856
          digraph \|- 8866
          digraph -\| 8867
          digraph \|= 8871
          digraph (< 9001
          digraph >) 9002
          digraph [[ 10214
          digraph ]] 10215

          -- Andrew

        • Mikolaj Machowski
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
            Dnia środa 12 wrzesień 2007, Andrew Myers napisał:
            > I think it's a great idea for Vim to be compliant with RFC 1345, but
            > that doesn't mean that it wouldn't make it a better editor to support
            > some additional digraphs not in the standard. Getting an RFC implemented
            > for new digraphs is a highly painful process.
            >
            > FYI, here are a few digraphs I had in mind:

            You can always create script defining those digraphs and post it on
            vim-online.

            m.

          • Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
              Hello,

              Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
              of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
              important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
              if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.

              Regards,
              Marcin

            • Marc Weber
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                I don't understand what your problem is cause you don't describe in
                which way you search the digraphs. If you already have that character
                somewhere, you can use Vim's redir option to pipe :digraph output into a
                buffer and the use the / search.
                If you don't have tho character yet you may just want touse google or
                such so that you have the char to look for.

                If you're too lazy to write up a redir capturing tool yourself just get
                tlib and use:
                :TBrowseOutput digraph

                Then press <c-z> and you have a ordinary Vim buffer you can copy paste
                from, use c-v for block highlighting etc..

                Marc Weber

              • Marcin Szamotulski
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                  On 15:00 Sat 01 Dec , Marc Weber wrote:
                  > I don't understand what your problem is cause you don't describe in
                  > which way you search the digraphs. If you already have that character
                  > somewhere, you can use Vim's redir option to pipe :digraph output into a
                  > buffer and the use the / search.
                  > If you don't have tho character yet you may just want touse google or
                  > such so that you have the char to look for.
                  >
                  > If you're too lazy to write up a redir capturing tool yourself just get
                  > tlib and use:
                  > :TBrowseOutput digraph
                  >
                  > Then press <c-z> and you have a ordinary Vim buffer you can copy paste
                  > from, use c-v for block highlighting etc..
                  >
                  > Marc Weber
                  >
                  > --

                  I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want
                  for example: if look for ∩ or ⊗ then I search all the columns of
                  :digraph to find what should I type after i_CTRL-K. I didn't know about
                  TBrowseOutput command, but it is not very helpful in my case. Another
                  thing that could be useful: to be possible to list only digraphs which
                  match a pattern, for example:

                  dig C

                  list all the digraphs which can be typed with i_CTRL-KC.

                  I don't mind writing my own vimscipt which prints the digraphs the
                  way I want, but I think that it is be much better if vim can do that out
                  of the box.

                  Cheers,
                  Marcin

                • Marc Weber
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                    > I usually search the columns of the digraph output for glyph that I want
                    Before you judge, give it a try:
                    TBrowseOutput digraph then type C will only keep lines matching C and
                    highlight the C matches. That's pretty damn close,

                    Second: You know how to capture output, and I know that you've written
                    ATP, haven't you? So you know enough VimL python or whatsoever to turn
                    the redirected outputh into a single col thing you can filter easily
                    with :g and :v commands (repacing \t by \n or such, you may have to
                    type the \n by c-v then enter key)

                    If you know you're looking for ⊗ / search is fine.

                    I'd even recommend creating your own ~/.digraphs file copy pasting those
                    you use often there - then its fast to lookup.

                    And yes, TBrowseOutput is helpful, cause you'll find
                    tlib#cmd#OutputAsList easily thus you can do something like this which
                    is pretty damn close:
                    <c-r>=split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}')

                    Asking for finding digraph faster without talking about how to find them
                    in the first place is like "feeling lucky" :-)

                    And of course you can combine that And TBrowseOutput easily, using such:
                    :TBrowseOutput echo join(split(join(tlib#cmd#OutputAsList('digraph'),"\n"),'\s\{2,}'),"\n")
                    which doesn't work, any idea why?

                    HTH
                    Marc Weber

                  • Dominique Pellé
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                      Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                      > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                      > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                      > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Marcin

                      H Marcin

                      Not what you're asking for, but I search for digraphs in ":help digraph".
                      All standard digraphs are listed there. There are more ways to
                      search for them in the help page than in the output of :digraph.
                      For example, searching for /INTERSECTION I find:

                      ∩ (U 2229 8745 INTERSECTION

                      -- Dominique

                    • Tony Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                        On 01/12/12 14:56, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                        > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                        > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                        > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Marcin

                        In addition to all the answers you already got, all standard digraphs
                        are listed in the output of :digraphs in Unicode codepoint order. This
                        makes it easy to find a digraph when you know the Unicode codepoint,
                        except that the output of :dig gives the codepoint numbers in decimal
                        while the usual custom is to give them in hex. Happily, Vim can easily
                        convert hex to decimal: for instance, if you know that UPWARDS ARROW is
                        U+2191, type :echo 0x2191 and Vim will answer 8593. Searching the output
                        of :dig for 8593 tells you that -! is the digraph for an upwards arrow.

                        To find out the Unicode codepoint for the character you need, I recommend:

                        http://www.unicode.org/charts/ (by family of scripts or of symbols)
                        http://www.unicode.org/charts/charindex.html (by name)

                        The latter indexes the names by all the important words in them, and
                        often according to several different alternate names for a single
                        codepoint. Both these pages contain links to glyph charts in PDF.

                        This, of course, is for when you need to use a given codepoint
                        repetitively. If you need it only once, see
                        :help i_CTRL-V_digit
                        about how to input the character (in Insert/Replace or Command-line
                        modes) by using the Unicode hex value directly.

                        Cerebus: I'd love to lick apricot brandy out of your navel.
                        Jaka: Look, Cerebus-- Jaka has to tell you ... something
                        Cerebus: If Cerebus had a navel, would you lick apricot brandy
                        out of it?
                        Jaka: Ugh!
                        Cerebus: You don't like apricot brandy?
                        -- Cerebus #6, "The Secret"

                      • Christian Brabandt
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                          Hi Marcin!

                          On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                          > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                          > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                          > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.

                          You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.

                          regards,
                          Christian

                        • Marcin Szamotulski
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                            On 17:51 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                            > Hi Marcin!
                            >
                            > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello,
                            > >
                            > > Searching for a digraph usually is quite hard, since there are so many
                            > > of them, and the are aligned in columns where only one column is
                            > > important when one is looking for a particular glyph. It would be nice
                            > > if that column was highlighted - searching would be a lot easier.
                            >
                            > You can use my unicode plugin which allows to complete digraphs.
                            >
                            > regards,
                            > Christian
                            > --
                            >
                            > --

                            Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                            I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                            pretty ...

                            Regards,
                            Marcin

                          • Dominique Pellé
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                              Marcin Szamotulski <mszamot@...> wrote:

                              > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                              > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                              > pretty ...
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Marcin

                              Hi Marcin

                              You can try the attached patch. It adds colors to the output of the
                              ":digraph" command which lists digraphs.

                              I'm not sure whether it's worth having an official patch for it.

                              Regards
                              -- Dominique

                            • Christian Brabandt
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
                                Hi Marcin!

                                On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

                                > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                                > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                                > pretty ...

                                Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                                does what you want, e.g.

                                :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                                :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X

                                regards,
                                Christian
                                --
                                Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.

                              • Marcin Szamotulski
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                                  On 21:28 Sat 01 Dec , Christian Brabandt wrote:
                                  > Hi Marcin!
                                  >
                                  > On Sa, 01 Dez 2012, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Thank you all for really useful answers, I will give them a try. Though
                                  > > I really think that colouring output of the digraph command would look
                                  > > pretty ...
                                  >
                                  > Last version 0.14 of unicode.vim now offers a :Digraphs command, that
                                  > does what you want, e.g.
                                  >
                                  > :Digraphs display a colored output of the :digraph list
                                  > :Digraphs X display all digraphs, matching X
                                  >
                                  > regards,
                                  > Christian
                                  > --
                                  > Edel sei der Mensch, Milchreis ist gut.