Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

svn/cvs checkout hangs

Expand Messages
  • denis
    Hello, I ve been trying to pull down latest sources from svn/cvs today and tomorrow, and the whole thing starts and then just sits there, hanging. Svn seems
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello,

      I've been trying to pull down latest sources from svn/cvs today and
      tomorrow, and the whole thing starts and then just sits there,
      hanging. Svn seems to get all the way to about vim7\runtime\doc
      \if_tcl.txt

      Does anyone else see this? Is there a workaround?

      thanks!
      -d


      --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
      -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
    • Bill McCarthy
      ... There s nothing to update - unless you haven t updated since last Thursday: vim vim7_svn svn up At revision 513. vim vim7_svn svn log c: vim vim7_svn
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sat 8-Sep-07 12:38pm -0600, denis wrote:

        > I've been trying to pull down latest sources from svn/cvs today and
        > tomorrow, and the whole thing starts and then just sits there,
        > hanging. Svn seems to get all the way to about vim7\runtime\doc
        > \if_tcl.txt
        >
        > Does anyone else see this? Is there a workaround?

        There's nothing to update - unless you haven't updated since
        last Thursday:

        vim\vim7_svn> svn up
        At revision 513.

        vim\vim7_svn> svn log c:\vim\vim7_svn --limit 2
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        r513 | edyfox | 2007-09-06 10:55:20 -0500 (Thu, 06 Sep 2007) | 1 line

        Recreated to point to the latest stable branch.
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        r510 | edyfox | 2007-09-06 10:54:12 -0500 (Thu, 06 Sep 2007) | 6 lines

        Patch 7.1.100
        Problem: Win32: Executing cscope doesn't always work properly.
        Solution: Use another way to invoke cscope. (Mike Williams)
        Files: src/if_cscope.c, src/if_cscope.h, src/main.c,
        src/proto/if_cscope.pro

        ------------------------------------------------------------------------

        --
        Best regards,
        Bill


        --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
        -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
      • denis
        Hi Bill, thanks for reply. ... The problem is that i am trying to checkout for the first time. -d --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Bill, thanks for reply.

          On Sep 8, 11:53 am, Bill McCarthy <W...@...> wrote:
          > There's nothing to update - unless you haven't updated since
          > last Thursday:

          The problem is that i am trying to checkout for the first time.

          -d


          --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
          You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
          -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
        • Bill McCarthy
          ... Ah, I remember that - I had to run svn around 5 times before it completed. However, there was progress every time. Today I went to a temp folder and
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            On Sat 8-Sep-07 2:06pm -0600, denis wrote:

            > On Sep 8, 11:53 am, Bill McCarthy <W...@...> wrote:

            >> There's nothing to update - unless you haven't updated since
            >> last Thursday:

            > The problem is that i am trying to checkout for the first time.

            Ah, I remember that - I had to run svn around 5 times before
            it completed. However, there was progress every time.

            Today I went to a temp folder and typed:

            svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7 vim7_svn

            It copied in a single attempt.

            --
            Best regards,
            Bill


            --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
            You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
            -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
          • Ben Schmidt
            ... Never tried with Vim, but in the past I have had similar problems with other projects and found that lowering my Ethernet MTU fixed it. Must ve been a
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              denis wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > I've been trying to pull down latest sources from svn/cvs today and
              > tomorrow, and the whole thing starts and then just sits there,
              > hanging. Svn seems to get all the way to about vim7\runtime\doc
              > \if_tcl.txt
              >
              > Does anyone else see this? Is there a workaround?

              Never tried with Vim, but in the past I have had similar problems with
              other projects and found that lowering my Ethernet MTU fixed it. Must've
              been a problem caused by my router or something--ICMP not getting
              through or something. I realise this probably isn't a very helpful
              answer, but it's an experience I had, so I guess it's a possible avenue
              to explore...

              Ben.






              Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com


              --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
              You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
              -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
            • denis
              ... ok. i finally synced. Probably after order of 20 times... --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message from the
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                On Sep 8, 3:10 pm, Bill McCarthy <W...@...> wrote:
                > On Sat 8-Sep-07 2:06pm -0600, denis wrote:
                > Ah, I remember that - I had to run svn around 5 times before

                ok. i finally synced. Probably after order of 20 times...


                --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
              • Edward L. Fox
                ... Well, although Bram recommended to checkout from /svnroot/vim/vim7, I m regretful to say, you may encounter a circumstance that all files in your svn
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  On 9/9/07, Bill McCarthy <WJMc@...> wrote:
                  > [...]
                  > svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7 vim7_svn

                  Well, although Bram recommended to checkout from /svnroot/vim/vim7,
                  I'm regretful to say, you may encounter a circumstance that all files
                  in your svn working directory being deleted after you run "svn up".
                  Such situation might happen in a probability of 1/500,000. Yes, quite
                  slim, but it indeed exists. So... Just do it at your own risk. :-)

                  I suggest that checking out from
                  https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71/.

                  >
                  > It copied in a single attempt.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Best regards,
                  > Bill
                  >
                  >
                  > >
                  >

                  --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                  You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                  -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
                • Edward L. Fox
                  ... Yes, that s true. But fortunately it can always resume from the last break point. ... --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 9/9/07, denis <denisp@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > On Sep 8, 3:10 pm, Bill McCarthy <W...@...> wrote:
                    > > On Sat 8-Sep-07 2:06pm -0600, denis wrote:
                    > > Ah, I remember that - I had to run svn around 5 times before
                    >
                    > ok. i finally synced. Probably after order of 20 times...

                    Yes, that's true. But fortunately it can always resume from the last
                    break point.

                    >
                    >
                    > >
                    >

                    --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                    You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                    For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                    -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
                  • Suresh Govindachar
                    ... What is the nature of the problem? If there is something wrong with co from that location, why doesn t update delete files _all_ the time? ... Svn says
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Edward L. Fox wrote:

                      >> svn co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/vim7 vim7_svn
                      >
                      > Well, although Bram recommended to checkout from /svnroot/vim/vim7,
                      > I'm regretful to say, you may encounter a circumstance that all
                      > files in your svn working directory being deleted after you
                      > run "svn up". Such situation might happen in a probability
                      > of 1/500,000.

                      What is the nature of the problem? If there is something wrong
                      with co from that location, why doesn't update delete files _all_
                      the time?

                      > Yes, quite slim, but it indeed exists. So... Just do it at your
                      > own risk. :-)
                      >
                      > I suggest that checking out from https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71/.

                      Svn says that that location does not exist:

                      c:\opt\svn\svn-win32-1.4.4\bin\svn.exe co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71/. foo

                      svn: URL 'https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71' doesn't exist

                      Same error in all four cases of with or without foo and with or without trailing /.

                      --Suresh


                      --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                      -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
                    • Edward L. Fox
                      ... Because Bram wants to have /vim/vim7/ always points to the latest stable version. But svn doesn t support symbolic link. So every time when I update the
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 9/9/07, Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar@...> wrote:
                        > What is the nature of the problem? If there is something wrong
                        > with co from that location, why doesn't update delete files _all_
                        > the time?

                        Because Bram wants to have /vim/vim7/ always points to the latest
                        stable version. But svn doesn't support symbolic link. So every time
                        when I update the latest branch, I have to delete the /vim/vim7/ and
                        recreate it to point it to the latest branch. If you happened to check
                        out or update your repository during that time, you would get all your
                        files deleted. As it's really a very short period, so such probability
                        is quite slim.

                        > [...]
                        > Svn says that that location does not exist:
                        >
                        > c:\opt\svn\svn-win32-1.4.4\bin\svn.exe co https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71/. foo
                        >
                        > svn: URL 'https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim71' doesn't exist
                        >
                        > Same error in all four cases of with or without foo and with or without trailing /.

                        Sorry, it should be https://vim.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vim/branches/vim7.1/

                        >
                        > --Suresh
                        >
                        >
                        > >
                        >

                        --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
                        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
                        -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
                      • James Vega
                        ... Why aren t you able to just merge the changes from branches/vim7.1 into vim/vim7 instead of deleting recreating that directory every time? James -- GPG
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 9, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 11:21:45PM +0800, Edward L. Fox wrote:
                          > On 9/9/07, Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar@...> wrote:
                          > > What is the nature of the problem? If there is something wrong
                          > > with co from that location, why doesn't update delete files _all_
                          > > the time?
                          >
                          > Because Bram wants to have /vim/vim7/ always points to the latest
                          > stable version. But svn doesn't support symbolic link. So every time
                          > when I update the latest branch, I have to delete the /vim/vim7/ and
                          > recreate it to point it to the latest branch.>

                          Why aren't you able to just merge the changes from branches/vim7.1 into
                          vim/vim7 instead of deleting recreating that directory every time?

                          James
                          --
                          GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@...>
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.