Re: firefox and vim was: Re: Feature request... non-uniform tab stops

  • Richard Hartmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
      I don't know why, but neither seem to want to work with iceweasel..
      Any ideas why that could be? I tried gvim with and without full path,
      neither worked.

      Richard

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
        Richard Hartmann wrote:
        > I don't know why, but neither seem to want to work with iceweasel..
        > Any ideas why that could be? I tried gvim with and without full path,
        > neither worked.
        >

        > Richard

        try

        gvim -f

        with full path if it isn't in the $PATH.

        See the second paragraph ("GUI:") under ":help -f"

        Q: Why does Helen Keller masturbate with one hand?
        A: So she can moan with the other!

      • Ernie Rael
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2007
          It's All Text! is nice, that's a great tip. Know of anything similar for Thunderbird?

          Thanks,
          -ernie

          Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          Milan Vancura wrote:

          The MozEx Firefox extension lets you edit textareas with an external editor
          (e.g. vim). I'm a fan.

          I've found another FF extension called It's All Text - it allows the same and
          it handles character encoding and cooperates nicely with FF. And it works with
          FF 1.5 and 2.0

          Great for editing wiki pages (for example). I can't imagine my work in wiki
          without that extension.

          Milan Vancura

          Yeah, I use it too. It adds a small blue button labeled "edit" at the bottom
          right of textareas when the mouse is over them. Click that button: plop! gvim
          opens with any text already typed in. Enter :x to close gvim, plop! the edited
          text appears in the browser. Works like magic (as Arthur Weasley would have
          said ;-) ).

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
            Ernie Rael wrote:
            > It's All Text! is nice, that's a great tip. Know of anything similar for
            > Thunderbird?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > -ernie

            In Thunderbird, there are no boxes to fill, only messages. What about the
            "External Editor" extension? http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8

            ARTHUR: Now stand aside worthy adversary.
            BLACK KNIGHT: (Glancing at his shoulder) 'Tis but a scratch.
            ARTHUR: A scratch? Your arm's off.