Re: firefox and vim was: Re: Feature request... non-uniform tab stops

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      Milan Vancura wrote:
      >> The MozEx Firefox extension lets you edit textareas with an external editor
      >> (e.g. vim). I'm a fan.
      >
      > I've found another FF extension called It's All Text - it allows the same and
      > it handles character encoding and cooperates nicely with FF. And it works with
      > FF 1.5 and 2.0
      >
      > Great for editing wiki pages (for example). I can't imagine my work in wiki
      > without that extension.
      >
      > Milan Vancura

      Yeah, I use it too. It adds a small blue button labeled "edit" at the bottom
      right of textareas when the mouse is over them. Click that button: plop! gvim
      opens with any text already typed in. Enter :x to close gvim, plop! the edited
      text appears in the browser. Works like magic (as Arthur Weasley would have
      said ;-) ).

      The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the
      average man can see better than he can think.

    • Richard Hartmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
        I don't know why, but neither seem to want to work with iceweasel..
        Any ideas why that could be? I tried gvim with and without full path,
        neither worked.

        Richard

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
          Richard Hartmann wrote:
          > I don't know why, but neither seem to want to work with iceweasel..
          > Any ideas why that could be? I tried gvim with and without full path,
          > neither worked.
          >

          > Richard

          try

          gvim -f

          with full path if it isn't in the $PATH.

          See the second paragraph ("GUI:") under ":help -f"

          Q: Why does Helen Keller masturbate with one hand?
          A: So she can moan with the other!

        • Ernie Rael

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
              Ernie Rael wrote:
              > It's All Text! is nice, that's a great tip. Know of anything similar for
              > Thunderbird?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > -ernie

              In Thunderbird, there are no boxes to fill, only messages. What about the
              "External Editor" extension? http://globs.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=8

              ARTHUR: Now stand aside worthy adversary.
              BLACK KNIGHT: (Glancing at his shoulder) 'Tis but a scratch.
              ARTHUR: A scratch? Your arm's off.