RE: Patch to fix read out of bound when resizing terminal

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
      Dominique Pelle wrote:
      >> I'm wondering why I see two copies of your message.

      > Did it happen for just one of my email? or all of my emails?
      > I sent emails to <vim_dev at googlegroups.com>, without BCC
      > or CC, using gmail (web interface). If it happened for just
      > one email, can you precise which one so I can double check my
      > outbox.

      The duplicate was the message to which I replied:

      I received two copies, with identical headers. I picked on you because you
      happened to have made a new post when the topic came up. I have noticed
      duplicates from you (and some others) before. It's never really bothered me
      enough to take notes.

      It's rather obvious, but thanks for confirming that you're just sending to
      vim_dev. In that case, it may well be a problem with my mail agent (which is
      downloading from gmail with POP3 ... I suppose that stupidware could mess
      that up). Over the next couple of days, I might try using the gmail web
      interface first to see if it shows duplicates.

      > I don't see duplicates in the archive of vim_dev.

      True, but the archive system may be sufficiently intelligent to drop
      messages with duplicate id, so it doesn't prove that no duplicate was sent.
      My conjecture was that there may be a problem when someone sends to vim.org.
      Your case rules that out.

      John

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
        Dominique Pelle wrote:

        > > Hmm, perhaps the best way is to keep a flag that we changed the "s"
        > > pointer, and then do "continue". I think that is what was originally
        > > intended. It's also simpler and more straightforward. Can you check
        > > that the valgrind error doesn't happen then?
        > >

        > > *** ../vim-7.1.094/src/message.c Tue Aug 7 21:59:26 2007
        > > --- src/message.c Thu Aug 30 22:53:03 2007

        [...]

        > Yes, that fixes it as well: valgrind no longer complains about
        > accessing string beyond the end when I resize the terminal.

        Thanks for checking.

        > There are 2 other odd things I observe though when resizing
        > the terminal (before and after the patch so it's unrelated to
        > this patch):
        >
        > 1/ when Ex command is longer than the terminal, ex command
        > wraps it (good) but when the terminal becomes very narrow,
        > the Ex command is displayed in a odd way with spaces in
        > the middle.
        >
        > For example, with ex command ":012345678901234567890",
        > when the terminal is narrow, it wraps as follows (good):
        >
        > :012345678901234
        > 567890
        >
        > But if terminal is resized even narrower, something odd begins
        > to happen (which does not look expected). I observe something
        > like this for example:
        >
        > :01234567
        > 89 0
        > 123456789
        > 0
        >
        > The spaces in the middle don't look expected.

        The minimal number of columns is 12. See ":help 'columns'". If you go
        below that weird things will happen.

        > 2/ If my cursor is at the end of the ex command, resizing the
        > terminal may move the cursor to somewhere in the middle of
        > the Ex command. I don't think that's expected either.

        I don't see this. Can you give a specific example?

        --
        Error:015 - Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
          Christ van Willegen wrote:
          > The OpenMoko list also suffers from duplicates from GMail's
          > servers once in a while. It appears that this has to do with
          > certain time-outs on GMail's servers being lower than usual,
          > and sometimes mail gets sent twice because an ACK was not
          > received 'in time'.

          I think that must be the problem. I just read today's messages using the web
          interface of my subscribed gmail account. There were no duplicates (that's
          probably conclusive, but OTOH it's conceivable that gmail is smart enough to
          hide the duplicates from the web interface, but to make them available for
          the POP3 download).

          Then I downloaded the messages I had just read with my mail client, and saw
          a bunch of duplicates. I did a Wireshark capture but it's not much use
          because the whole session was TLS encrypted.

          Anyway, it looks like the duplicates are my problem.

          John

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 31, 2007
            John Beckett wrote:
            > Christ van Willegen wrote:
            >> The OpenMoko list also suffers from duplicates from GMail's
            >> servers once in a while. It appears that this has to do with
            >> certain time-outs on GMail's servers being lower than usual,
            >> and sometimes mail gets sent twice because an ACK was not
            >> received 'in time'.
            >
            > I think that must be the problem. I just read today's messages using the web
            > interface of my subscribed gmail account. There were no duplicates (that's
            > probably conclusive, but OTOH it's conceivable that gmail is smart enough to
            > hide the duplicates from the web interface, but to make them available for
            > the POP3 download).
            >
            > Then I downloaded the messages I had just read with my mail client, and saw
            > a bunch of duplicates. I did a Wireshark capture but it's not much use
            > because the whole session was TLS encrypted.
            >
            > Anyway, it looks like the duplicates are my problem.
            >
            > John

            Thunderbird with "Remove Duplicate Messages" extension will (at your command,
            not automagically) remove all duplicates, even, in the Sent folder, messages
            you've sent and which come back at you through the list.

            I hardly ever see any duplicates on the Vim lists -- and I get the messages
            from gmail by POP.

            "You can't survive by sucking the juice from a wet mitten."
            -- Charles Schulz, "Things I've Had to Learn Over and
            Over and Over"