Re: tarball and unpacked top directory name syncronization

  • Per Hallsmark
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Sorry, but I don't see why a decent build script would require the
      > source to be packaged in a specific way. Yes, it would be simpler if
      > they all use the same convention, but you cannot depend on that.
      A descent designed code tries not to duplicate stuff unnescessarily... ;-)
      It is true that we cannot count on this but why not try to make those
      few (I've got 300+ packages, only vim have this thing) that differs
      to change to same convention?

      > Sources are packaged in many different ways, not everybody follows the
      > GNU religion. You also don't know if there is a configure script or
      > not, and whether the Makefile is for BSD make or GNU make.
      This is not only GNU religion. I'm using all sorts of opensource
      packages and, GNU or other, they all behave same. Or have I just been
      lucky?

      The configuring of the package (autoconf, makefile variables, menuconfig
      alá kernel, busybox or whatever) is a completely different matter and
      is not what we talk about here. As a side note, in all those packages
      I use, those rules can also be common to quite a good extent.

      > As I mentioned, the FreeBSD ports system has a few variables you can set
      > if the structure of the archive is using a strict naming method.
      > It's just one or two extra lines in the build script.
      Ok, but if we really don't need those one or two extra lines of code
      if we follow some common style, why have it in first place?

      Best regards,
      Per