Re: icons/buttons cut off, vim 7.X on HP-UX

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:
      > Chris Seip wrote:
      [...]
      >> export CCOPTS="-Ae +DAportable -I/apps/ncurses-5.4/include/ncurses
      >> -I/apps/xpm-3.4k/include -I/apps/lesstif- 0.93.91/include
      >> -I/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/include/Xm"
      >> export LDOPTS="-L/apps/ncurses-5.4/lib -L/apps/xpm-3.4k/lib
      >> -L/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/lib "
      >> export PATH="/apps/make-3.80/bin:/apps/gawk-3.1.5 /bin:$PATH"
      >>
      >> env GUI_INC_LOC=/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/include ./configure \
      >> --prefix=/apps/vim-7.1 \
      >> --host=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 \
      >> --with-compiledby=cseip \
      >> --enable-cscope \
      >> --with-x \
      >> --enable-gui=motif \
      >> --with-motif-lib=/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/lib/libXm.sl.2.1
      [...]
      > Making GUI_INC_LOC call configure sounds wicked to me. At line 1554 sqq of

      Oops, I misread. Disregard the above line.

      --
      It is illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over
      puddles of water.

    • ssvfmnx@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
        Thanks, Tony! That was a fast reply.

        >> Making GUI_INC_LOC call configure sounds wicked to me.
        The effect of the "env" command is like export. I did that when
        pursuing someone else's tip at some point, and apparently didn't even
        think about the syntax being unnecessarily different. No worries
        though. (Although I am offering you assurances, I switched it to a
        separate envariable "export" and I'm re-running my little build
        script. Just to make sure.)

        >> Try making your calls more standard. You may want to use my howto page
        >> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm as a source of
        >> inspiration.
        Thanks, I have started digesting some of what you've written there.
        It has led me to the 7.1 patches, which I had not known about before.
        Cool.

        Looks like many more pointers to read there. Thanks,

        --Chris--

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2007
          ssvfmnx@... wrote:
          > Thanks, Tony! That was a fast reply.
          >
          >>> Making GUI_INC_LOC call configure sounds wicked to me.
          > The effect of the "env" command is like export. I did that when
          > pursuing someone else's tip at some point, and apparently didn't even
          > think about the syntax being unnecessarily different. No worries
          > though. (Although I am offering you assurances, I switched it to a
          > separate envariable "export" and I'm re-running my little build
          > script. Just to make sure.)

          see my "oops" reply

          >>> Try making your calls more standard. You may want to use my howto page
          >>> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm as a source of
          >>> inspiration.
          > Thanks, I have started digesting some of what you've written there.
          > It has led me to the 7.1 patches, which I had not known about before.
          > Cool.

          If you compile Vim yourself, you should stay subscribed to vim_dev. Bram
          publishes all patches there in email form, usually at about the same time that
          they arrive at the FTP server. However, personally I prefer the FTP server
          because my ISP's mail servers sometimes (and unpredictably) convert mail any
          which way between 8bit, quoted-printable and (aargh!) base64. Also, if several
          patches arrive within a short time interval, I can use multiple-get over FTP,
          and get the updated README (table of contents) with them.

          The latest patch I had to use from email, but (luckily) the Google mail
          servers delivered it to me in "8bit" Content-Transfer-Encoding, so I could use
          it "as is".

          > Looks like many more pointers to read there. Thanks,
          >
          > --Chris--

          My pleasure.

          Ankh if you love Isis.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2007
            Chris Seip wrote:

            > I have had trouble compiling the 7.X series of vim releases on HP-UX
            > successfully. When I run it in GUI mode, the row of icons/buttons (Open
            > File, Save Current File, Save All Files, etc.) appears to be graphically cut
            > off about 60% of the way down. I can post a screen shot somewhere if this
            > description isn't clear.
            >
            > I'm compiling with HP's ANSI C compiler on HP-UX 10.20. More clues
            > about my build:
            >
            > export CCOPTS="-Ae +DAportable -I/apps/ncurses-5.4/include/ncurses
            > -I/apps/xpm-3.4k/include -I/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/include -I/apps/lesstif-
            > 0.93.91/include/Xm"
            > export LDOPTS="-L/apps/ncurses-5.4/lib -L/apps/xpm-3.4k/lib
            > -L/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/lib "
            > export PATH="/apps/make-3.80/bin:/apps/gawk-3.1.5/bin:$PATH"
            >
            > env GUI_INC_LOC=/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/include ./configure \
            > --prefix=/apps/vim-7.1 \
            > --host=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 \
            > --with-compiledby=cseip \
            > --enable-cscope \
            > --with-x \
            > --enable-gui=motif \
            > --with-motif-lib=/apps/lesstif-0.93.91/lib/libXm.sl.2.1

            lesstif has had various problems. Perhaps you can try using the real
            Motif or Open Motif?

            > I had the same problem with vim 7.0 and vim 7.1, but not with vim 6.X. My
            > configure for vim 6.3, for example, was similar:
            >
            > export CCOPTS="+DAportable -Ae -I/apps/ncurses-5.4/include -I/apps/xpm-
            > 3.4k/include"
            > export LDOPTS="-L/apps/ncurses-5.4/lib -L/apps/xpm-3.4k/lib"
            > export PATH="/apps/make-3.80/bin\:$PATH"
            >
            > ./configure \
            > --prefix=/apps/vim-6.3 \
            > --host=hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20 \
            > --with-compiledby=cseip \
            > --enable-cscope \
            > --with-x \
            > --enable-gui=motif
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any thoughts. If it's useful, I have appended the
            > configure output for 7.1 below. Regards,

            Your 6.X build doesn't mention lesstiff, maybe that is part of the
            problem.

            --
            "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
            Popular Mechanics, 1949