Re: VIM 7.1 compilation error

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
      Kiwon Um wrote:
      [...]
      > But still one more question...
      > I've tested something more with Hangul i.e. Korean text.
      > I have some 'euckr' encoded text files but my VIMs (such gvim or vim)
      > cannot read/show these files correctly.
      > Although I set 'encoding=euckr' and 'fileencoding=euckr or utf8', it
      > show me some broken characters.
      [...]

      How to solve that will depend on which kinds of files you usually edit; the
      following assumes that you have 'encoding' set to utf-8:

      a) Most files are either Unicode with BOM, UTF-8 (even without BOM), or euc-kr:

      :set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,euc-kr,latin1

      If some euc-kr file is wrongly detected as UTF-8:

      :e ++enc=euc-kr filename

      If you need to edit some Unicode file without BOM in another encoding than
      UTF-8, use (for instance):

      :e ++enc=utf-16le filename

      b) You have only a few euc-kr files, and you know what they are:

      :set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1

      Always open euc-kr files with

      :e ++enc=euc-kr filename

      c) All (or almost all) your Unicode files have a BOM:

      :set fileencodings=ucs-bom,euc-kr,latin1

      If you need to edit a Unicode file without a BOM, use for instance

      :e ++enc=utf8 filename

      etc.

      To set the BOM on all _new_ Unicode files by default, use

      :setglobal bomb

      This setting does not affect non-Unicode files. For existing files, the
      presence or absence of a BOM is detected automatically if 'fileencodings'
      starts with "ucs-bom".

      See
      :help 'fileencodings'
      :help ++opt