Re: Fixing bugs in Vim

  • Martin Toft
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:20:47PM +1000, John Beckett wrote:
      > Congratulations Martin - that's a great result.

      Thanks :-) I plan to do a lot more, though.

      > When you run out of things to do<g>, let me know so I can explain how
      > Vim needs to be able to detect large files (>2GB) on 32-bit systems
      > that have large file support!

      Hehe, that sounds pretty complex and extensive.

      Martin
    • Edward L. Fox
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi Bram,

        > [...]
        > In my opinion the Vim SVN repository is for the official version of Vim
        > only. Adding things there that are experiments or patches that will
        > later become official causes confusion.

        At first, the SVN repository contained only one top-level directory
        named "vim7". Because the development of Vim is in pure "linear" mode,
        that is, without any branches. So I didn't add any "trunk", "tags" or
        "branches", as most of the other SVN repositories do at that time.

        But when Vim 7.1 began to Beta, many people complained for the
        none-standard directory structure so I added "trunk", "branches" and
        "tags".

        So far till now, the all operations I did to the "trunk" is just
        "Merged from the latest developing branch". It's quite boring and
        makes no good to any one at all. I keep doing such useless job only
        because I'm still in hope that one day the "trunk" directory will be
        used by some intelligent developer.

        If such dream will never come true, do you think we should remove the
        "trunk" directory now? Waiting for your response...

        > There are plenty of other places where you can make your experimental
        > code available to others, in various forms. www.sourceforge.net and
        > code.google.com are two examples. You can setup your own project for
        > yourself or work together with a group.

        Well, I don't think I need to branch out into a new project. Firstly,
        I don't consider myself a competent developer to maintain such a big
        project. Secondly, I don't have enough time to do such a heavy job.
        Thirdly, if I had enough time and ability, I would rather join the
        Yzis team than branch out because the former is much more exciting.

        OK, I admit that I don't have such ability so I would just continue
        doing my own work here - supporting the intelligent developers without
        any more complaint.

        > [...]

        Be In Peace,

        Edward L. Fox