Re: patch 7.1.048

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
      On Fri 3-Aug-07 3:24pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > I also rsync after ftp.nluug.nl (after applying the patches when there are
      > any, and once daily even if there are no patches). Since my rsync command-line
      > includes --delete this cleans away any .orig or .rej files created by patching
      > errors, but it also means that the runtimes from the ftp archive make it to my
      > $VIMRUNTIME in preference to the result of patching. As of this writing, the
      > plugin/matchparen.vim found there has (in its third line) a date of 2006 Oct
      > 12. (As a side note, this means that my current Vim declares itself to be
      > 7.1.048 but is actually 7.1.047.)
      >
      > Let's hope the new matchparen version "eventually" finds its way to the ftp site.

      I use a simply "copy /u" which only copies new files and
      files newer than on my machine - so I never get
      "downgraded."

      Bill

    • Bill McCarthy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
        On Fri 3-Aug-07 10:41pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > Bill McCarthy wrote:
        >> On Fri 3-Aug-07 3:24pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        >>
        >>> I also rsync after ftp.nluug.nl (after applying the patches when there are
        >>> any, and once daily even if there are no patches). Since my rsync command-line
        >>> includes --delete this cleans away any .orig or .rej files created by patching
        >>> errors, but it also means that the runtimes from the ftp archive make it to my
        >>> $VIMRUNTIME in preference to the result of patching. As of this writing, the
        >>> plugin/matchparen.vim found there has (in its third line) a date of 2006 Oct
        >>> 12. (As a side note, this means that my current Vim declares itself to be
        >>> 7.1.048 but is actually 7.1.047.)
        >>>
        >>> Let's hope the new matchparen version "eventually" finds its way to the ftp site.
        >>
        >> I use a simply "copy /u" which only copies new files and
        >> files newer than on my machine - so I never get
        >> "downgraded."
        >>

        > Here "cp" cannot (as far as I'm aware) copy remote files: what I use is
        >
        > rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/"
        > ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
        2>>&1 | tee rsync.log
        > vim -es -u NONE -c '%s/^.*\r//' -cx rsync.log
        >
        > (two lines, which constitute a shell scriptlet), followed, if there is at
        > least one updated file other than doc/tags, by
        >
        > make -C src installruntime 2>&1 |tee instrt.log
        >

        > The result is that my runtime files are made a copy of those on the rsync
        > server (excluding runtime/dos/ and anything under it) by copying any that are
        > different or absent on the client and deleting any that are absent on the
        > server. Even if some runtime files are "not yet" up to the latest patchlevel,
        > at least the result is consistent, no files are kept which should be deleted,
        > and, by running the above at least once every 24h, I don't "lag behind" more
        > than by an "acceptable" amount by respect to the FTP server.
        >
        > ...yesterday evening, when I announced it, my
        > plugin/matchparen.vim was indeed
        > upgraded to 2007 Jul 30, and 16 other runtime files were updated at the same time.

        Since Bram has split off the spell files from the dos
        subdirectory, I now need 2 copy commands. My 4nt script is:

        setlocal
        echo Updating c:\vim\vim71 from ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos
        echo.
        set vrt=ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime
        copy /[!*~]/u/s %vrt/dos vrt:
        echo.
        echo Updating c:\vim\vim71\spell from ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell
        echo.
        copy /u %vrt/spell/README.txt;README_en.txt;en* vrt:spell
        echo.
        echo Updating Vim's help tags:
        echo.
        vim -es -c "helpt $vimruntime\doc|q"
        endlocal

        Where "rtp:" is a directory alias to my local runtime. As
        you can see, in addition to the two copy commands, a batch
        mode console vim is silently run to update the help tags.

        I just ran it and see that Bram has been busy. The
        following 14 runtime files were updated this evening:

        doc\ada.txt
        doc\eval.txt
        doc\pattern.txt
        doc\pi_netrw.txt
        doc\quickfix.txt
        doc\todo.txt
        doc\usr_22.txt
        doc\usr_41.txt
        doc\vim-fr.1
        doc\vim-fr.UTF-8.1
        ftplugin\changelog.vim
        ftplugin\php.vim
        plugin\matchparen.vim
        syntax\rexx.vim

        Thanks Bram!

        Bill

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2007
          Bill McCarthy wrote:
          [...]
          > I just ran it and see that Bram has been busy. The
          > following 14 runtime files were updated this evening:
          >
          > doc\ada.txt
          > doc\eval.txt
          > doc\pattern.txt
          > doc\pi_netrw.txt
          > doc\quickfix.txt
          > doc\todo.txt
          > doc\usr_22.txt
          > doc\usr_41.txt
          > doc\vim-fr.1
          > doc\vim-fr.UTF-8.1
          > ftplugin\changelog.vim
          > ftplugin\php.vim
          > plugin\matchparen.vim
          > syntax\rexx.vim
          >
          > Thanks Bram!

          Yes, that's approximately what I got yesterday evening (evening my time: as
          I'm typing this it's 9:39 AM on Saturday); in addition I saw doc/tags and two
          A-A-P scripts, see attachment.

          Yes, thanks Bram indeed.

          Love is a word that is constantly heard,
          Hate is a word that is not.
          Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
          Love, I have read, is hot.
          But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
          And Love but a drug on the mart.
          Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
          But Hating, my boy, is an Art.
          -- Ogden Nash