Re: Fwd: VIM 7.1 compilation error

  • Shawn Kim
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      Ben Peterson wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Wouldn't hangul be a very big keymap? If the keymap was for individual jamo it would be manageable but I'm not sure how vim would then combine the jamo. If it is for all hangul characters it will be very large -- unless I am missing something.
      >
      > On the other hand, it should also be relatively easy to generate the keymap automatically...
      >
      > Benjamin

      Replying to all,

      Hi, Benjamin,

      Yes, It is a huge set of letters.
      There are more than 10,000 letters that can possibly be made up, even
      excluding obsoleted ones.

      And there is a criticism I found about that method :

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Romanization_of_Korean#Criticism

      Thanks for your comment

      Shawn.

    • Shawn Y. Kim
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
        Hi, Bram

        > I hesitate removing the Hangul support without knowing for sure that it
        > is not needed. Browsing through the messages I do see remarks that it
        > might still be useful to a few people.
        >
        > Perhaps the Hangul support can be changed to also work for UTF-8?

        I guess I can work on this.
        It will take some time though.

        As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
        few" people.
        Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
        there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
        me.

        Shawn Y. Kim.

      • Kang Seonghoon
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
          "Shawn Y. Kim" <orchis...@...> wrote:
          > I guess I can work on this.
          > It will take some time though.
          >
          > As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
          > few" people.
          > Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
          > there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
          > me.

          Or, can we make Hangeul input plugin separately instead? I personally
          prefer this way, since it could be separately developed and possibly
          included in the standard distribution without any compile option.
          Keymap can be another alternative but it is not suitable for Hangeul
          input; it conflicts with well-known input methods, because an
          incomplete letter will not be shown up for instance.

          After heard of this thread I have written an experimental plugin
          enabling Hangeul input. It has some known bugs I have to deal with,
          but I think this plugin is helpful for people without hangul_input
          option set.

          -- Kang Seonghoon

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
            Kang Seonghoon wrote:
            > "Shawn Y. Kim" <orchis...@...> wrote:
            >> I guess I can work on this.
            >> It will take some time though.
            >>
            >> As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
            >> few" people.
            >> Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
            >> there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
            >> me.
            >
            > Or, can we make Hangeul input plugin separately instead? I personally
            > prefer this way, since it could be separately developed and possibly
            > included in the standard distribution without any compile option.
            > Keymap can be another alternative but it is not suitable for Hangeul
            > input; it conflicts with well-known input methods, because an
            > incomplete letter will not be shown up for instance.
            >
            > After heard of this thread I have written an experimental plugin
            > enabling Hangeul input. It has some known bugs I have to deal with,
            > but I think this plugin is helpful for people without hangul_input
            > option set.
            >
            > -- Kang Seonghoon

            For a Vim plugin, it would have to be written in vimscript, wouldn't it? I
            suppose it would be waiting for input most of the time, so speed wouldn't be a
            factor. But you would have to have ways to enable/disable it: I wouldn't like
            Vim to force me into Hangeul input, as I just know barely enough about Korean
            to tell the difference between hangeul and hanja in printed text, but not
            enough to make head or tail of it. ;-)

            Maybe leave it disabled by default (in $VIMRUNTIME/macros/ or something) and
            enable it the same way as matchit?

            Cahn's Axiom:
            When all else fails, read the instructions.