Re: Fwd: VIM 7.1 compilation error

  • Shawn Kim
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      Edward L. Fox wrote:
      > Hi Bram,
      >
      > Sorry for sending mail in HTML format, as the following content has
      > some images to display.
      >
      > Do you think we should deprecate the build-in Hangul supporting since
      > the next version of VIM? So far as I know, the Hangul supporting
      > conflicted with XIM module, which is more useful for Asian users.
      > That's why the official Vim pre-built binary never enable this option.
      > Some Korean users also noticed that the latest sources couldn't be
      > built with this option enabled. I think all the users will use input
      > method later, so I'd like to disable the "Hangul automata" from now on.
      >
      > And if possible, we could also supply a Hangul input method by using
      > the keymap mechanism, just like the kana (Japanese letters) keymap
      > ported by me. I know nothing about Korean so I hope any Korean friend
      > could help me with this issue.
      >

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Edward L. Fox

      Hi, Edward.

      You told about getting rid of built-in Hangul input feature from vim.
      I'm afraid that I don't feel like getting it out of vim.
      There are a lot of systems where XIM is not available at all out there.

      For example, at my office, we run a bunch of "servers".
      I just ssh to one of them and set DISPLAY environment variable to point
      to my local laptop which runs Ubuntu linux.
      And then I run gvim to edit source codes.

      Systems like AIX, True64, Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, and older versions of
      RedHat linux does not even have GTK.

      In those system, I don't seem to have many choices.
      I MUST compile vim enabling hangulinput feature and then use it to
      type in Hangul.
      It would never be enough to stress the necessity and the importance of
      that feature for Koreans.
      I would be devastated if that feature is to removed :'O

      Regards,
      Shawn.

      P.S. Personally, using XIM with vim is kind of confusing.
      If you were typing Hangul in input mode, and then you escape from that
      mode by pressing upon ESC,
      XIM is still in Hangul input mode. So, any of your comands won't work
      until you switch to English input mode by
      pressing Shift+Space. It is very unconvinient and confusing.
      As it seems that I can seem to control XIM out of it, like sending
      signal or something, for me,
      it is just more appreciated using hangulinput feature. :-)

    • Shawn Kim
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        Ben Peterson wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Wouldn't hangul be a very big keymap? If the keymap was for individual jamo it would be manageable but I'm not sure how vim would then combine the jamo. If it is for all hangul characters it will be very large -- unless I am missing something.
        >
        > On the other hand, it should also be relatively easy to generate the keymap automatically...
        >
        > Benjamin

        Replying to all,

        Hi, Benjamin,

        Yes, It is a huge set of letters.
        There are more than 10,000 letters that can possibly be made up, even
        excluding obsoleted ones.

        And there is a criticism I found about that method :

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Romanization_of_Korean#Criticism

        Thanks for your comment

        Shawn.

      • Shawn Y. Kim
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2007
          Hi, Bram

          > I hesitate removing the Hangul support without knowing for sure that it
          > is not needed. Browsing through the messages I do see remarks that it
          > might still be useful to a few people.
          >
          > Perhaps the Hangul support can be changed to also work for UTF-8?

          I guess I can work on this.
          It will take some time though.

          As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
          few" people.
          Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
          there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
          me.

          Shawn Y. Kim.

        • Kang Seonghoon
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
            "Shawn Y. Kim" <orchis...@...> wrote:
            > I guess I can work on this.
            > It will take some time though.
            >
            > As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
            > few" people.
            > Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
            > there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
            > me.

            Or, can we make Hangeul input plugin separately instead? I personally
            prefer this way, since it could be separately developed and possibly
            included in the standard distribution without any compile option.
            Keymap can be another alternative but it is not suitable for Hangeul
            input; it conflicts with well-known input methods, because an
            incomplete letter will not be shown up for instance.

            After heard of this thread I have written an experimental plugin
            enabling Hangeul input. It has some known bugs I have to deal with,
            but I think this plugin is helpful for people without hangul_input
            option set.

            -- Kang Seonghoon

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
              Kang Seonghoon wrote:
              > "Shawn Y. Kim" <orchis...@...> wrote:
              >> I guess I can work on this.
              >> It will take some time though.
              >>
              >> As to how widely hangulinput features is being used, I can just say "a
              >> few" people.
              >> Even though not so many people is using that one as they use IME,
              >> there still are people making use of hangulinput feature, including
              >> me.
              >
              > Or, can we make Hangeul input plugin separately instead? I personally
              > prefer this way, since it could be separately developed and possibly
              > included in the standard distribution without any compile option.
              > Keymap can be another alternative but it is not suitable for Hangeul
              > input; it conflicts with well-known input methods, because an
              > incomplete letter will not be shown up for instance.
              >
              > After heard of this thread I have written an experimental plugin
              > enabling Hangeul input. It has some known bugs I have to deal with,
              > but I think this plugin is helpful for people without hangul_input
              > option set.
              >
              > -- Kang Seonghoon

              For a Vim plugin, it would have to be written in vimscript, wouldn't it? I
              suppose it would be waiting for input most of the time, so speed wouldn't be a
              factor. But you would have to have ways to enable/disable it: I wouldn't like
              Vim to force me into Hangeul input, as I just know barely enough about Korean
              to tell the difference between hangeul and hanja in printed text, but not
              enough to make head or tail of it. ;-)

              Maybe leave it disabled by default (in $VIMRUNTIME/macros/ or something) and
              enable it the same way as matchit?

              Cahn's Axiom:
              When all else fails, read the instructions.