Re: patch 7.1.048

  • Chris Sutcliffe
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
      > Patch 7.1.048
      > Problem: The matchparen plugin doesn't update the match when scrolling with
      > the mouse wheel. (Ilya Bobir)
      > Solution: Set the match highlighting for text that can be scrolled into the
      > viewable area without moving the cursor. (Chris Lubinski)
      > Files: runtime/plugin/matchparen.vim

      I've rsync'd against ftp.nluug.nl and it doesn't contain this change.
      Going forward, is the runtime directory in CVS / SVN the definitive
      source for the latest runtime files?

      Thanx!

      Chris

      --
      Chris Sutcliffe
      http://ir0nh34d.googlepages.com

    • Bill McCarthy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
        On Fri 3-Aug-07 8:00am -0600, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

        >> Patch 7.1.048
        >> Problem: The matchparen plugin doesn't update the match when scrolling with
        >> the mouse wheel. (Ilya Bobir)
        >> Solution: Set the match highlighting for text that can be scrolled into the
        >> viewable area without moving the cursor. (Chris Lubinski)
        >> Files: runtime/plugin/matchparen.vim
        >
        > I've rsync'd against ftp.nluug.nl and it doesn't contain this change.
        > Going forward, is the runtime directory in CVS / SVN the definitive
        > source for the latest runtime files?

        No, they appear to be a definitive source for patches
        against the distribution.

        However, patches don't update all runtime files which
        eventually make it to the runtime archives. I regularly
        update from ftp://ftp.home.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos.

        It is a bit out of date currently. As you pointed out,
        matchparen.vim is an old version. The help files updated by
        patches are also not included in the archive yet.

        It would be wonderful if Bran had an automated way of
        updating the runtime archives each time he updating the CVS
        archive for runtime files.

        Better yet, it would be nice if runtime files are either all
        updated in CVS or none of them are updated - since using the
        runtime archive is quite easy. This would avoid all the
        patch errors we now get when the runtime archive is more
        recent than CVS.

        Bill

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
          Bill McCarthy wrote:
          > On Fri 3-Aug-07 8:00am -0600, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
          >
          >>> Patch 7.1.048
          >>> Problem: The matchparen plugin doesn't update the match when scrolling with
          >>> the mouse wheel. (Ilya Bobir)
          >>> Solution: Set the match highlighting for text that can be scrolled into the
          >>> viewable area without moving the cursor. (Chris Lubinski)
          >>> Files: runtime/plugin/matchparen.vim
          >> I've rsync'd against ftp.nluug.nl and it doesn't contain this change.
          >> Going forward, is the runtime directory in CVS / SVN the definitive
          >> source for the latest runtime files?
          >
          > No, they appear to be a definitive source for patches
          > against the distribution.
          >
          > However, patches don't update all runtime files which
          > eventually make it to the runtime archives. I regularly
          > update from ftp://ftp.home.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos.
          >
          > It is a bit out of date currently. As you pointed out,
          > matchparen.vim is an old version. The help files updated by
          > patches are also not included in the archive yet.
          >
          > It would be wonderful if Bran had an automated way of
          > updating the runtime archives each time he updating the CVS
          > archive for runtime files.
          >
          > Better yet, it would be nice if runtime files are either all
          > updated in CVS or none of them are updated - since using the
          > runtime archive is quite easy. This would avoid all the
          > patch errors we now get when the runtime archive is more
          > recent than CVS.

          I also rsync after ftp.nluug.nl (after applying the patches when there are
          any, and once daily even if there are no patches). Since my rsync command-line
          includes --delete this cleans away any .orig or .rej files created by patching
          errors, but it also means that the runtimes from the ftp archive make it to my
          $VIMRUNTIME in preference to the result of patching. As of this writing, the
          plugin/matchparen.vim found there has (in its third line) a date of 2006 Oct
          12. (As a side note, this means that my current Vim declares itself to be
          7.1.048 but is actually 7.1.047.)

          Let's hope the new matchparen version "eventually" finds its way to the ftp site.

          TIM: That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and
          bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on.
          ROBIN: You tit. I soiled my armour I was so scared!

        • Bill McCarthy
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
            On Fri 3-Aug-07 3:24pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > I also rsync after ftp.nluug.nl (after applying the patches when there are
            > any, and once daily even if there are no patches). Since my rsync command-line
            > includes --delete this cleans away any .orig or .rej files created by patching
            > errors, but it also means that the runtimes from the ftp archive make it to my
            > $VIMRUNTIME in preference to the result of patching. As of this writing, the
            > plugin/matchparen.vim found there has (in its third line) a date of 2006 Oct
            > 12. (As a side note, this means that my current Vim declares itself to be
            > 7.1.048 but is actually 7.1.047.)
            >
            > Let's hope the new matchparen version "eventually" finds its way to the ftp site.

            I use a simply "copy /u" which only copies new files and
            files newer than on my machine - so I never get
            "downgraded."

            Bill

          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
              On Fri 3-Aug-07 10:41pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

              > Bill McCarthy wrote:
              >> On Fri 3-Aug-07 3:24pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              >>
              >>> I also rsync after ftp.nluug.nl (after applying the patches when there are
              >>> any, and once daily even if there are no patches). Since my rsync command-line
              >>> includes --delete this cleans away any .orig or .rej files created by patching
              >>> errors, but it also means that the runtimes from the ftp archive make it to my
              >>> $VIMRUNTIME in preference to the result of patching. As of this writing, the
              >>> plugin/matchparen.vim found there has (in its third line) a date of 2006 Oct
              >>> 12. (As a side note, this means that my current Vim declares itself to be
              >>> 7.1.048 but is actually 7.1.047.)
              >>>
              >>> Let's hope the new matchparen version "eventually" finds its way to the ftp site.
              >>
              >> I use a simply "copy /u" which only copies new files and
              >> files newer than on my machine - so I never get
              >> "downgraded."
              >>

              > Here "cp" cannot (as far as I'm aware) copy remote files: what I use is
              >
              > rsync -avzcP --delete --exclude="/dos/"
              > ftp.nluug.nl::Vim/runtime/ ./runtime/
              2>>&1 | tee rsync.log
              > vim -es -u NONE -c '%s/^.*\r//' -cx rsync.log
              >
              > (two lines, which constitute a shell scriptlet), followed, if there is at
              > least one updated file other than doc/tags, by
              >
              > make -C src installruntime 2>&1 |tee instrt.log
              >

              > The result is that my runtime files are made a copy of those on the rsync
              > server (excluding runtime/dos/ and anything under it) by copying any that are
              > different or absent on the client and deleting any that are absent on the
              > server. Even if some runtime files are "not yet" up to the latest patchlevel,
              > at least the result is consistent, no files are kept which should be deleted,
              > and, by running the above at least once every 24h, I don't "lag behind" more
              > than by an "acceptable" amount by respect to the FTP server.
              >
              > ...yesterday evening, when I announced it, my
              > plugin/matchparen.vim was indeed
              > upgraded to 2007 Jul 30, and 16 other runtime files were updated at the same time.

              Since Bram has split off the spell files from the dos
              subdirectory, I now need 2 copy commands. My 4nt script is:

              setlocal
              echo Updating c:\vim\vim71 from ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos
              echo.
              set vrt=ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime
              copy /[!*~]/u/s %vrt/dos vrt:
              echo.
              echo Updating c:\vim\vim71\spell from ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell
              echo.
              copy /u %vrt/spell/README.txt;README_en.txt;en* vrt:spell
              echo.
              echo Updating Vim's help tags:
              echo.
              vim -es -c "helpt $vimruntime\doc|q"
              endlocal

              Where "rtp:" is a directory alias to my local runtime. As
              you can see, in addition to the two copy commands, a batch
              mode console vim is silently run to update the help tags.

              I just ran it and see that Bram has been busy. The
              following 14 runtime files were updated this evening:

              doc\ada.txt
              doc\eval.txt
              doc\pattern.txt
              doc\pi_netrw.txt
              doc\quickfix.txt
              doc\todo.txt
              doc\usr_22.txt
              doc\usr_41.txt
              doc\vim-fr.1
              doc\vim-fr.UTF-8.1
              ftplugin\changelog.vim
              ftplugin\php.vim
              plugin\matchparen.vim
              syntax\rexx.vim

              Thanks Bram!

              Bill

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4, 2007
                Bill McCarthy wrote:
                [...]
                > I just ran it and see that Bram has been busy. The
                > following 14 runtime files were updated this evening:
                >
                > doc\ada.txt
                > doc\eval.txt
                > doc\pattern.txt
                > doc\pi_netrw.txt
                > doc\quickfix.txt
                > doc\todo.txt
                > doc\usr_22.txt
                > doc\usr_41.txt
                > doc\vim-fr.1
                > doc\vim-fr.UTF-8.1
                > ftplugin\changelog.vim
                > ftplugin\php.vim
                > plugin\matchparen.vim
                > syntax\rexx.vim
                >
                > Thanks Bram!

                Yes, that's approximately what I got yesterday evening (evening my time: as
                I'm typing this it's 9:39 AM on Saturday); in addition I saw doc/tags and two
                A-A-P scripts, see attachment.

                Yes, thanks Bram indeed.

                Love is a word that is constantly heard,
                Hate is a word that is not.
                Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
                Love, I have read, is hot.
                But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
                And Love but a drug on the mart.
                Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
                But Hating, my boy, is an Art.
                -- Ogden Nash