Re: A request for a new vimball feature

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      > Hello!
      >
      > I just got a request from a vimball user:

      > - vim copes with unix scripts on windows, but not with windows scripts
      > on unix. Hence the standard recommendation to use "unix" for the
      > 'fileformat' option when writing plugins (:help script|/fileformat/).
      > Unfortunately, vimball seems to produce "dos" 'fileformat' on
      > windows, which results in chaos when trying to unpack on unix.
      >
      > Could vimball please produce "unix" 'fileformat', on all platforms?
      >
      > Does anyone foresee any problems with setting (locally) ff=unix ?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Chip Campbell

      For Vim scripts, ff=unix is the most universal setting.

      I don't know what Steve Hall does nowadays, but when I was on Windows, I used
      _unix_ sources (plus extra plus lang), and unix-like fileformat for both
      sources and runtimes. I never had any problem running unix-format scripts on
      Windows.

      A few caveats:
      - Running unix-format scripts on Windows or Mac requires that 'fileformats'
      (plural) contains "unix", which is the 'nocompatible' default on all platforms
      and also the 'compatible' default under Cygwin.

      - Notepad chokes on Unix-format text files; but both Vim and WordPad (among
      others) can edit them with no problem. Again, for Vim this requires "unix" as
      part of 'fileformats', which is the 'nocompatible' default.

      - As you noted, the plugin should use ":setlocal", not ":set", in order to
      avoid clobbering the fileformats of files in other split-windows and/or of
      not-yet-existing files which will be created in the future of the current session.

      Life is like a simile.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > I just got a request from a vimball user:

        > - vim copes with unix scripts on windows, but not with windows scripts
        > on unix. Hence the standard recommendation to use "unix" for the
        > 'fileformat' option when writing plugins (:help script|/fileformat/).
        > Unfortunately, vimball seems to produce "dos" 'fileformat' on
        > windows, which results in chaos when trying to unpack on unix.
        >
        > Could vimball please produce "unix" 'fileformat', on all platforms?
        >
        > Does anyone foresee any problems with setting (locally) ff=unix ?

        I haven't tried it, but it should work. Just be careful that ff=unix
        only applies to the generated script, not to existing windows or buffers.

        --
        Ed's Radiator Shop: The Best Place in Town to Take a Leak.