A request for a new vimball feature

  • Charles E Campbell Jr
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hello!

      I just got a request from a vimball user:

      - vim copes with unix scripts on windows, but not with windows scripts
      on unix. Hence the standard recommendation to use "unix" for the
      'fileformat' option when writing plugins (:help script|/fileformat/).
      Unfortunately, vimball seems to produce "dos" 'fileformat' on
      windows, which results in chaos when trying to unpack on unix.

      Could vimball please produce "unix" 'fileformat', on all platforms?

      Does anyone foresee any problems with setting (locally) ff=unix ?

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
        Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
        > Hello!
        >
        > I just got a request from a vimball user:

        > - vim copes with unix scripts on windows, but not with windows scripts
        > on unix. Hence the standard recommendation to use "unix" for the
        > 'fileformat' option when writing plugins (:help script|/fileformat/).
        > Unfortunately, vimball seems to produce "dos" 'fileformat' on
        > windows, which results in chaos when trying to unpack on unix.
        >
        > Could vimball please produce "unix" 'fileformat', on all platforms?
        >
        > Does anyone foresee any problems with setting (locally) ff=unix ?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Chip Campbell

        For Vim scripts, ff=unix is the most universal setting.

        I don't know what Steve Hall does nowadays, but when I was on Windows, I used
        _unix_ sources (plus extra plus lang), and unix-like fileformat for both
        sources and runtimes. I never had any problem running unix-format scripts on
        Windows.

        A few caveats:
        - Running unix-format scripts on Windows or Mac requires that 'fileformats'
        (plural) contains "unix", which is the 'nocompatible' default on all platforms
        and also the 'compatible' default under Cygwin.

        - Notepad chokes on Unix-format text files; but both Vim and WordPad (among
        others) can edit them with no problem. Again, for Vim this requires "unix" as
        part of 'fileformats', which is the 'nocompatible' default.

        - As you noted, the plugin should use ":setlocal", not ":set", in order to
        avoid clobbering the fileformats of files in other split-windows and/or of
        not-yet-existing files which will be created in the future of the current session.

        Life is like a simile.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
          Charles Campbell wrote:

          > I just got a request from a vimball user:

          > - vim copes with unix scripts on windows, but not with windows scripts
          > on unix. Hence the standard recommendation to use "unix" for the
          > 'fileformat' option when writing plugins (:help script|/fileformat/).
          > Unfortunately, vimball seems to produce "dos" 'fileformat' on
          > windows, which results in chaos when trying to unpack on unix.
          >
          > Could vimball please produce "unix" 'fileformat', on all platforms?
          >
          > Does anyone foresee any problems with setting (locally) ff=unix ?

          I haven't tried it, but it should work. Just be careful that ff=unix
          only applies to the generated script, not to existing windows or buffers.

          --
          Ed's Radiator Shop: The Best Place in Town to Take a Leak.