Re: One Mailaddress

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
      On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      > Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
      > "vim_dev@..." in the To line.

      No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
      there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
      case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
      as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.

      nikolai

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
        Nikolai Weibull wrote:
        > On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
        >> "vim_dev@..." in the To line.
        >
        > No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
        > there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
        > case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
        > as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.
        >
        > nikolai

        I think we still do. On this post of yours, I see vim_dev@... in
        all of "To", "Sender", "Reply-To", "List-Id" and "List-Post".

        I agree that that "Reply-To" header is stupid, and we're not alone in thinking
        so, see http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html -- however I also agree
        that in the case of Google Groups there's probably nothing we can do about it.

        The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
        Support your right to bare arms!

      • Ali Akcaagac
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
          On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          > We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
          > (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.

          The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.

          Greetings,

          Ali Akcaagac

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
            Ali Akcaagac wrote:
            > On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            >> We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
            >> (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.
            >
            > The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.
            >
            > Greetings,
            >
            > Ali Akcaagac

            Well, that's another reason some people can't use @... then; though I
            wonder why some ISP would blacklist outgoing mail to @....

            If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
            -- Ronald Reagan

          • Gautam Iyer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
              Is the multiple addresses really such an issue? Most mail filters should
              be able to support primitive regexps...

              If anyone would find it useful, I have the following in my
              ~/.procmailrc:

              :0
              * ^TO_(vim-experiment|vim[_-]dev)@(googlegroups.com|vim.org)
              {
              :0
              * !^Subject: +(Re: +)*\[.+\]
              {
              :0 fhw
              * ^Subject:\/.*
              | formail -I "Subject: [vim-dev]$MATCH"
              }

              :0:
              lists
              }

              It adds a friendly [vim-dev] prefix to email subjects (if there isn't
              already a subject prefix), and delivers it to my lists folder.

              GI

              --
              Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a
              dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.