Re: One Mailaddress

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21 4:09 AM
      Nikolai Weibull wrote:
      > On 7/21/07, Ali Akcaagac <aliakc@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Can we somehow agree on using one address to sent the mails to ? I
      >> somehow getting all sorts of Vim related mails popping up in my inbox,
      >> my vimbox and inside of my junkbox.
      >
      > Can we please just continue using the @... addresses?

      We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
      (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.

      Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
      "vim_dev@..." in the To line. This is inherent to the new
      system's setup. Going back to fu-berlin is impossible.

      Wombat's Laws of Computer Selection:
      (1) If it doesn't run Unix, forget it.
      (2) Any computer design over 10 years old is obsolete.
      (3) Anything made by IBM is junk. (See number 2)
      (4) The minimum acceptable CPU power for a single user is a
      VAX/780 with a floating point accelerator.
      (5) Any computer with a mouse is worthless.
      -- Rich Kulawiec

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21 4:30 AM
        On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

        > Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
        > "vim_dev@..." in the To line.

        No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
        there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
        case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
        as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.

        nikolai

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21 4:58 AM
          Nikolai Weibull wrote:
          > On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
          >> "vim_dev@..." in the To line.
          >
          > No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
          > there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
          > case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
          > as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.
          >
          > nikolai

          I think we still do. On this post of yours, I see vim_dev@... in
          all of "To", "Sender", "Reply-To", "List-Id" and "List-Post".

          I agree that that "Reply-To" header is stupid, and we're not alone in thinking
          so, see http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html -- however I also agree
          that in the case of Google Groups there's probably nothing we can do about it.

          The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
          Support your right to bare arms!

        • Ali Akcaagac
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21 5:12 AM
            On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
            > We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
            > (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.

            The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.

            Greetings,

            Ali Akcaagac

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21 5:29 AM
              Ali Akcaagac wrote:
              > On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
              >> We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
              >> (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.
              >
              > The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.
              >
              > Greetings,
              >
              > Ali Akcaagac

              Well, that's another reason some people can't use @... then; though I
              wonder why some ISP would blacklist outgoing mail to @....

              If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
              -- Ronald Reagan

            • Gautam Iyer
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21 9:10 AM
                Is the multiple addresses really such an issue? Most mail filters should
                be able to support primitive regexps...

                If anyone would find it useful, I have the following in my
                ~/.procmailrc:

                :0
                * ^TO_(vim-experiment|vim[_-]dev)@(googlegroups.com|vim.org)
                {
                :0
                * !^Subject: +(Re: +)*\[.+\]
                {
                :0 fhw
                * ^Subject:\/.*
                | formail -I "Subject: [vim-dev]$MATCH"
                }

                :0:
                lists
                }

                It adds a friendly [vim-dev] prefix to email subjects (if there isn't
                already a subject prefix), and delivers it to my lists folder.

                GI

                --
                Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a
                dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.