Re: One Mailaddress

  • Asiri Rathnayake
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
      +1

      On 7/21/07, Ali Akcaagac <aliakc@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      Can we somehow agree on using one address to sent the mails to ? I
      somehow getting all sorts of Vim related mails popping up in my inbox,
      my vimbox and inside of my junkbox.

      Greets,

      Ali Akcaagac

    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
        On 7/21/07, Ali Akcaagac <aliakc@...> wrote:

        > Can we somehow agree on using one address to sent the mails to ? I
        > somehow getting all sorts of Vim related mails popping up in my inbox,
        > my vimbox and inside of my junkbox.

        Can we please just continue using the @... addresses?

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
          Ali Akcaagac wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Can we somehow agree on using one address to sent the mails to ? I
          > somehow getting all sorts of Vim related mails popping up in my inbox,
          > my vimbox and inside of my junkbox.
          >
          > Greets,
          >
          > Ali Akcaagac

          Too late: the @... addresses have been made synonymous to
          @... addresses, but (IIUC) every time someone uses the former you
          get both on the To-line.

          To avoid "mail jumping in and out of my inbox, vimbox and junkbox" I have the
          following "filters" in Thunderbird (Outlook Express, et al., can be set up in
          a similar manner):

          - Existing "Vim" filter (which remains enabled):

          Match any of the following:
          "To or Cc" "ends with" "@..."
          "From" "is" "bram@..."
          Actions:
          "Move to" "Vim on Local Folders"
          "Set Junk Status to" "Not Junk"

          - New "Vim Google Groups" filter (which is enabled too):

          Match all of the following:
          "To or Cc" "begins with" "vim"
          "To or Cc" "ends with" "@..."
          Actions:
          "Move to" "Vim on Local Folders"
          "Set Junk Status to" "Not Junk"

          ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
          DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear that, eh?
          That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you saw it
          didn't you?

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
            Nikolai Weibull wrote:
            > On 7/21/07, Ali Akcaagac <aliakc@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Can we somehow agree on using one address to sent the mails to ? I
            >> somehow getting all sorts of Vim related mails popping up in my inbox,
            >> my vimbox and inside of my junkbox.
            >
            > Can we please just continue using the @... addresses?

            We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
            (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.

            Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
            "vim_dev@..." in the To line. This is inherent to the new
            system's setup. Going back to fu-berlin is impossible.

            Wombat's Laws of Computer Selection:
            (1) If it doesn't run Unix, forget it.
            (2) Any computer design over 10 years old is obsolete.
            (3) Anything made by IBM is junk. (See number 2)
            (4) The minimum acceptable CPU power for a single user is a
            VAX/780 with a floating point accelerator.
            (5) Any computer with a mouse is worthless.
            -- Rich Kulawiec

          • Nikolai Weibull
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
              On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

              > Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
              > "vim_dev@..." in the To line.

              No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
              there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
              case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
              as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.

              nikolai

            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
                Nikolai Weibull wrote:
                > On 7/21/07, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Notice that whenever someone uses "vim-dev@..." the list robot will add
                >> "vim_dev@..." in the To line.
                >
                > No. It adds a Reply-To. That's a crap setup by Google Groups, but
                > there's probably nothing we can do about it. Seeing as this is the
                > case, perhaps using the @... addresses makes more sense,
                > as we won't get the stupid Reply-To added.
                >
                > nikolai

                I think we still do. On this post of yours, I see vim_dev@... in
                all of "To", "Sender", "Reply-To", "List-Id" and "List-Post".

                I agree that that "Reply-To" header is stupid, and we're not alone in thinking
                so, see http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html -- however I also agree
                that in the case of Google Groups there's probably nothing we can do about it.

                The National Short-Sleeved Shirt Association says:
                Support your right to bare arms!

              • Ali Akcaagac
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
                  On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                  > We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
                  > (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.

                  The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.

                  Greetings,

                  Ali Akcaagac

                • Tony Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
                    Ali Akcaagac wrote:
                    > On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 13:09 +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
                    >> We may still use the old @... addresses, if we want to, and don't prefer
                    >> (or don't have to use) the Google Groups *web* interface. However you seem not to.
                    >
                    > The @... addresses are blacklisted with web.de and bounce back.
                    >
                    > Greetings,
                    >
                    > Ali Akcaagac

                    Well, that's another reason some people can't use @... then; though I
                    wonder why some ISP would blacklist outgoing mail to @....

                    If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
                    -- Ronald Reagan

                  • Gautam Iyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 21, 2007
                      Is the multiple addresses really such an issue? Most mail filters should
                      be able to support primitive regexps...

                      If anyone would find it useful, I have the following in my
                      ~/.procmailrc:

                      :0
                      * ^TO_(vim-experiment|vim[_-]dev)@(googlegroups.com|vim.org)
                      {
                      :0
                      * !^Subject: +(Re: +)*\[.+\]
                      {
                      :0 fhw
                      * ^Subject:\/.*
                      | formail -I "Subject: [vim-dev]$MATCH"
                      }

                      :0:
                      lists
                      }

                      It adds a friendly [vim-dev] prefix to email subjects (if there isn't
                      already a subject prefix), and delivers it to my lists folder.

                      GI

                      --
                      Name one nice thing about Windows? It doesn't just crash, it displays a
                      dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.