Re: Strange coloring for GTK build

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2007
      Larson, David wrote:
      > Here is a better picture showing the problem for gtk2. This is what the
      > color test shows.
      >
      > Notice that setting the color as the foreground does not always match
      > the color when it is set as the background. Especially for the red and
      > blues. Any ideas on how to fix this?

      Many text consoles, including the Windows console, have only 8 background
      colors as opposed to 16 foreground colors. In that case, trying to set a
      "bright" color as the background will fail. For instance, trying to set a red
      background will give "dark red" which is usually a kind of dark reddish brown,
      more /lie-de-vin/ than true dark red.

      To see all the terminal names in your system's terminfo library in
      alphabetical order, use

      toe|sort|less

      at the shell prompt. You may try setting 'term' and/or $TERM to one of them
      (with caution) to see if the result is better.

      As I was going up Punch Card Hill,
      Feeling worse and worser,
      There I met a C.R.T.
      And it drop't me a cursor.

      C.R.T., C.R.T.,
      Phosphors light on you!
      If I had fifty hours a day
      I'd spend them all at you.

      -- Uncle Colonel's Cursory Rhymes

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2007
        Larson, David wrote:
        >> Larson, David wrote:
        >>> Here is a better picture showing the problem for gtk2. This is what
        > the
        >>> color test shows.
        >>>
        >>> Notice that setting the color as the foreground does not always
        > match
        >>> the color when it is set as the background. Especially for the red
        > and
        >>> blues. Any ideas on how to fix this?
        >> Many text consoles, including the Windows console, have only 8
        > background
        >> colors as opposed to 16 foreground colors. In that case, trying to set
        >> "bright" color as the background will fail. For instance, trying to
        > set a
        >> red
        >> background will give "dark red" which is usually a kind of dark
        > reddish
        >> brown,
        >> more /lie-de-vin/ than true dark red.
        >
        > Actually, that isn't what is happening here. The colors aren't a little
        > off, they are completely wrong. The "red" foreground is blue and the
        > "blue" foreground is red. Strangely, the background colors are
        > correct...
        >
        > David

        Then your system may be confusing "MS-DOS" colours with "X" colours, see
        ":help highlight-cterm" and in particular ":help cterm-colors". You may still
        try playing with the $TERM environment variable (before starting Vim) and see
        if it behaves better. Use something that's not too different from the actual
        terminal you're using.

        What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.