Another test

  • Zdenek Sekera
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20 12:25 PM
      I am sorry for bothering the list, but I have problems
      posting, if this ever appears on the list would some kind
      soul let me know in case I don't see my postings
      as it has been the case till now? Previously I got
      emails from Charles Campbell and Ted Pavlic, thanks
      to both, indeed, I didn't see my posting).

      As another data point, I have played with subscription
      and discovered that if I try to subscribe by email
      and have anything in the Subject: field (I used to
      put the 'subscribe' there), I never get the conformation
      message). (I left the message field always completely
      empty).

      If subscribing with 'Subject:' field empty I do get the confirmation
      message but if I 'reply' it will not subscribe me. If however
      I click on the confirmation URL inside the message, the web
      page will tell me 'you are subscribed', finally!

      So since I am now subscribed, I am trying to post this to see
      if I can see it.

      Cheers, all,

      ---Zdenek
    • Larson, David
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20 12:36 PM
        Hi Zdenek,

        I've been having trouble subscribing as well... So it looks like your
        email confirms both our subscriptions! =)

        David

        Behalf
        > Of Zdenek Sekera
        > Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 12:25 PM
        > To: vim-dev@...
        > Subject: Another test
        >
        > I am sorry for bothering the list, but I have problems
        > posting, if this ever appears on the list would some kind
        > soul let me know in case I don't see my postings
        > as it has been the case till now? Previously I got
        > emails from Charles Campbell and Ted Pavlic, thanks
        > to both, indeed, I didn't see my posting).
        >
        > As another data point, I have played with subscription
        > and discovered that if I try to subscribe by email
        > and have anything in the Subject: field (I used to
        > put the 'subscribe' there), I never get the conformation
        > message). (I left the message field always completely
        > empty).
        >
        > If subscribing with 'Subject:' field empty I do get the confirmation
        > message but if I 'reply' it will not subscribe me. If however
        > I click on the confirmation URL inside the message, the web
        > page will tell me 'you are subscribed', finally!
        >
        > So since I am now subscribed, I am trying to post this to see
        > if I can see it.
        >
        > Cheers, all,
        >
        > ---Zdenek

      • Gautam Iyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20 12:38 PM
          On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:25:02PM +0200, Zdenek Sekera wrote:

          > I am sorry for bothering the list, but I have problems posting, if
          > this ever appears on the list would some kind soul let me know in case
          > I don't see my postings as it has been the case till now?

          Your post got through. Just in case you (or any one else for that
          matter) has problems, you could consider contacting Google. I think they
          should be fairly responsive,

          GI

          PS: Tony -- I'm sure you can get Google to make your ISP accept emails
          from Google groups.

          --
          Top Ten New Intel Slogans For The Pentium:
          5.9999835137 Redefining the PC -- and Mathematics As Well

        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20 1:12 PM
            Zdenek Sekera wrote:
            > I am sorry for bothering the list, but I have problems
            > posting, if this ever appears on the list would some kind
            > soul let me know in case I don't see my postings
            > as it has been the case till now? Previously I got
            > emails from Charles Campbell and Ted Pavlic, thanks
            > to both, indeed, I didn't see my posting).

            Bingo!

            > As another data point, I have played with subscription
            > and discovered that if I try to subscribe by email
            > and have anything in the Subject: field (I used to
            > put the 'subscribe' there), I never get the conformation
            > message). (I left the message field always completely
            > empty).
            >
            > If subscribing with 'Subject:' field empty I do get the confirmation
            > message but if I 'reply' it will not subscribe me. If however
            > I click on the confirmation URL inside the message, the web
            > page will tell me 'you are subscribed', finally!
            >
            > So since I am now subscribed, I am trying to post this to see
            > if I can see it.
            >
            > Cheers, all,
            >
            > ---Zdenek

            Accidents cause History.

            If Sigismund Unbuckle had taken a walk in 1426 and met Wat Tyler, the
            Peasant's Revolt would never have happened and the motor car would not
            have been invented until 2026, which would have meant that all the oil
            could have been used for lamps, thus saving the electric light bulb and
            the whale, and nobody would have caught Moby Dick or Billy Budd.
            -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

          • Zdenek Sekera
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20 1:13 PM

              Thanks, Gautam (and David Larson>) for your emails.
              Actualla it now looks like that all is fine, I could see
              my original email as well. The subscribing process seems to have
              a number of quirks still.

              By the way, has anyone noticed that you sedn an post to
              'vim-dev@...' but the group is actually called 'vim_dev' ?
              (note the underscore instead of a hyphen.

              And when you sign up for 'vim' the actual group is 'vim_use'
              (with the underscore as well). That may force people to change their
              filters if they use them (I do).

              I am not sure if this is what it should be, perhaps it is.

              > --
              > Top Ten New Intel Slogans For The Pentium:
              > 5.9999835137 Redefining the PC -- and Mathematics As Well

              :-):-):-)!

              ---Zdenek
            • Tony Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20 1:16 PM
                Gautam Iyer wrote:
                [...]
                > PS: Tony -- I'm sure you can get Google to make your ISP accept emails
                > from Google groups.

                I don't care now. I have a @... email, and I feel more confident that
                pop.gmail.com will _always_ allow Google Groups mail through in the future,
                than I am of pop.skynet.be.

                Thanks anyway.

                We're only in it for the volume.
                -- Black Sabbath

              • Ted Pavlic
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 20 1:36 PM
                  This has been addressed in the announcement of the lists on
                  vim-experiment and a few other places. It's been causing confusion.

                  Additionally, people are going to be e-mailing to different list
                  aliases. Some use the @... addresses. Some use underscores... Some
                  use hyphens. It MAY be a good idea to have vim.org play with the "To"
                  and "Cc" addresses so that there is some consistency...

                  On the other hand...

                  > By the way, has anyone noticed that you sedn an post to
                  > 'vim-dev@...' but the group is actually called 'vim_dev' ?
                  > (note the underscore instead of a hyphen.

                  My procmail filter:

                  ######### Move Vim-dev List Messages Automagically
                  :0:
                  * vim[-_]dev@(vim.org|googlegroups.com)
                  "$VIMDEVEL"

                  > And when you sign up for 'vim' the actual group is 'vim_use'
                  > (with the underscore as well). That may force people to change their
                  > filters if they use them (I do).

                  My procmail filter:

                  ######### Move Vim List Messages Automagically
                  :0:
                  * (vim|vim[-_]use)@(vim.org|googlegroups.com)
                  "$VIMUSERS"

                  I think that's the safest thing to do...

                  --Ted

                  --
                  Ted Pavlic <ted@...>