Re: VimWiki - released finally

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      Sebastian Menge wrote:

      > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
      >
      > Hi all
      >
      > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
      >
      > http://vim.wikia.com
      >
      > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
      > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
      >
      > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
      > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
      > Greetings!).
      >
      > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
      > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
      > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
      >
      > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
      > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
      > helps!
      >
      > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

      Great!

      Let's await comments for a few days, then I'll add a few links on
      www.vim.org to the tips wiki. That should give the wiki quite a bit
      more traffic.

      How about redirecting http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
      to http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip805 (where 805 is an arbitrary
      number)?

      The Tips pages appear to load a bit slow, but otherwise it looks like
      all the info from the old pages is there.

      --
      I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
      There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work.

    • Larson, David
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
        > > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
        > >
        > > http://vim.wikia.com
        > >
        > > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not
        > > everything is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

        The links to scripts on the tips pages don't show up correctly, they
        look like this:

        [/scripts/script.php?script_id=31 vimscript #31]

        Take a look at this example:
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip384
      • Robert Lee
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
          Sebastian,

          Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see discussion tab
          at top of each wiki page)?

          Just curious.

          -Robert

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
            > Sebastian,
            >
            > Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see
            > discussion tab at top of each wiki page)?
            >
            > Just curious.
            >
            > -Robert

            Lets avoid using the vim-announce mailing list for a discussing of vim
            wiki and stick to vim-dev.

            David
          • Robert Cussons
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
              > On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
              >> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
              >>
              >> Hi all
              >>
              >> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
              >>
              >> http://vim.wikia.com
              >>
              >> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
              >> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
              >>
              >> Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
              >> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
              >> Greetings!).
              >>
              >> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
              >> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
              >> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
              >>
              >> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
              >> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
              >> helps!
              >>
              >> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

              Very good work Sebastian, it looks great to me.

              I have already come across a new tip on vim wikia that I hadn't known
              anything about which I thought I might draw programmer's attention to
              (sorry if you already know about it). Tip #1267, which is a tip to
              enable a programmer to see (by a simple key combination of his/her
              choice), in which function they are. Very useful if you have just landed
              in the middle of a long function during a search for example, you know
              longer have to move around inside the buffer to find which function you
              are in, just type your chosen key combination: see
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_current_function_name_(for_C_programmers)
              if you are interested.

              Thanks very much to the original author of the tip and to everyone who
              has contributed to setting up the vim wikia.
              Rob.