Re: VimWiki - released finally

  • fREW
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
      > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
      >
      > Hi all
      >
      > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
      >
      > http://vim.wikia.com
      >
      > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
      > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
      >
      > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
      > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
      > Greetings!).
      >
      > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
      > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
      > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
      >
      > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
      > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
      > helps!
      >
      > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

      I am EXCITED!

      --
      -fREW
    • Nico Weber
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
        Hi,

        > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
        >
        > http://vim.wikia.com

        if you must have ads, would it be possible to go with text-only ads?
        Additionally, the "Digg this story" button at the bottom is stupid ;-)

        Just my destructive 2 cents,
        Nico
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
          Sebastian Menge wrote:

          > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
          >
          > Hi all
          >
          > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com
          >
          > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
          > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
          >
          > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
          > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
          > Greetings!).
          >
          > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
          > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
          > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
          >
          > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
          > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
          > helps!
          >
          > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

          Great!

          Let's await comments for a few days, then I'll add a few links on
          www.vim.org to the tips wiki. That should give the wiki quite a bit
          more traffic.

          How about redirecting http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
          to http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip805 (where 805 is an arbitrary
          number)?

          The Tips pages appear to load a bit slow, but otherwise it looks like
          all the info from the old pages is there.

          --
          I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
          There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work.

        • Larson, David
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
            > > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
            > >
            > > http://vim.wikia.com
            > >
            > > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not
            > > everything is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

            The links to scripts on the tips pages don't show up correctly, they
            look like this:

            [/scripts/script.php?script_id=31 vimscript #31]

            Take a look at this example:
            http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip384
          • Robert Lee
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
              Sebastian,

              Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see discussion tab
              at top of each wiki page)?

              Just curious.

              -Robert

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
                > Sebastian,
                >
                > Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see
                > discussion tab at top of each wiki page)?
                >
                > Just curious.
                >
                > -Robert

                Lets avoid using the vim-announce mailing list for a discussing of vim
                wiki and stick to vim-dev.

                David
              • Robert Cussons
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
                  > On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                  >> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                  >>
                  >> Hi all
                  >>
                  >> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                  >>
                  >> http://vim.wikia.com
                  >>
                  >> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                  >> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                  >> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                  >> Greetings!).
                  >>
                  >> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                  >> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                  >> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                  >>
                  >> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                  >> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                  >> helps!
                  >>
                  >> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                  Very good work Sebastian, it looks great to me.

                  I have already come across a new tip on vim wikia that I hadn't known
                  anything about which I thought I might draw programmer's attention to
                  (sorry if you already know about it). Tip #1267, which is a tip to
                  enable a programmer to see (by a simple key combination of his/her
                  choice), in which function they are. Very useful if you have just landed
                  in the middle of a long function during a search for example, you know
                  longer have to move around inside the buffer to find which function you
                  are in, just type your chosen key combination: see
                  http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_current_function_name_(for_C_programmers)
                  if you are interested.

                  Thanks very much to the original author of the tip and to everyone who
                  has contributed to setting up the vim wikia.
                  Rob.