VimWiki - released finally

  • Sebastian Menge
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]

      Hi all

      Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to

      http://vim.wikia.com

      and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
      is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

      Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
      kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
      Greetings!).

      Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
      Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
      now, but to make it excellent we need You!

      If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
      have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
      helps!

      See you on the wiki, Sebastian.
    • fREW
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
        On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
        > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
        >
        > Hi all
        >
        > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
        >
        > http://vim.wikia.com
        >
        > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
        > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
        >
        > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
        > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
        > Greetings!).
        >
        > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
        > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
        > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
        >
        > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
        > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
        > helps!
        >
        > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

        I am EXCITED!

        --
        -fREW
      • Nico Weber
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
          Hi,

          > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
          >
          > http://vim.wikia.com

          if you must have ads, would it be possible to go with text-only ads?
          Additionally, the "Digg this story" button at the bottom is stupid ;-)

          Just my destructive 2 cents,
          Nico
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
            Sebastian Menge wrote:

            > [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
            >
            > Hi all
            >
            > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
            >
            > http://vim.wikia.com
            >
            > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
            > is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
            >
            > Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
            > kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
            > Greetings!).
            >
            > Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
            > Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
            > now, but to make it excellent we need You!
            >
            > If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
            > have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
            > helps!
            >
            > See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

            Great!

            Let's await comments for a few days, then I'll add a few links on
            www.vim.org to the tips wiki. That should give the wiki quite a bit
            more traffic.

            How about redirecting http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=805
            to http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip805 (where 805 is an arbitrary
            number)?

            The Tips pages appear to load a bit slow, but otherwise it looks like
            all the info from the old pages is there.

            --
            I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence.
            There's a knob called "brightness", but it doesn't seem to work.

          • Larson, David
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
              > > Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
              > >
              > > http://vim.wikia.com
              > >
              > > and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not
              > > everything is perfect, but I think it is usable now.

              The links to scripts on the tips pages don't show up correctly, they
              look like this:

              [/scripts/script.php?script_id=31 vimscript #31]

              Take a look at this example:
              http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip384
            • Robert Lee
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
                Sebastian,

                Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see discussion tab
                at top of each wiki page)?

                Just curious.

                -Robert

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
                  > Sebastian,
                  >
                  > Why not utilize the "talk:" pages for the comments (see
                  > discussion tab at top of each wiki page)?
                  >
                  > Just curious.
                  >
                  > -Robert

                  Lets avoid using the vim-announce mailing list for a discussing of vim
                  wiki and stick to vim-dev.

                  David
                • Robert Cussons
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
                    > On 6/5/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
                    >> [cross-posted to vim, vim-dev, vim-announce, wikia-l]
                    >>
                    >> Hi all
                    >>
                    >> Finally I have imported all the vim tips from http://vim.org/tips to
                    >>
                    >> http://vim.wikia.com
                    >>
                    >> and set up a minimal infrastructure to keep things going. Not everything
                    >> is perfect, but I think it is usable now.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks to all the support from vim@... and especially to the very
                    >> kind wikia community (#wikia on freenode and the mailing list,
                    >> Greetings!).
                    >>
                    >> Some words on contribution: A good wiki depends on two main factors:
                    >> Excellent content and a lively community. We have a lot of good content
                    >> now, but to make it excellent we need You!
                    >>
                    >> If you ever posted a tip or a comment to the old tips database, please
                    >> have a look at it on the wiki, and review the page. Every little bit
                    >> helps!
                    >>
                    >> See you on the wiki, Sebastian.

                    Very good work Sebastian, it looks great to me.

                    I have already come across a new tip on vim wikia that I hadn't known
                    anything about which I thought I might draw programmer's attention to
                    (sorry if you already know about it). Tip #1267, which is a tip to
                    enable a programmer to see (by a simple key combination of his/her
                    choice), in which function they are. Very useful if you have just landed
                    in the middle of a long function during a search for example, you know
                    longer have to move around inside the buffer to find which function you
                    are in, just type your chosen key combination: see
                    http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Show_current_function_name_(for_C_programmers)
                    if you are interested.

                    Thanks very much to the original author of the tip and to everyone who
                    has contributed to setting up the vim wikia.
                    Rob.