Re: Defining new visual-mode motions?

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
      Hi,

      On 6/2/07, Andy Wokula <anwoku@...> wrote:
      > Joseph Barker schrieb:
      >
      > >> The following is possible:
      > >>
      > >> function VisualMove()
      > >> normal! gv
      > >> call search('\u')
      > >> " visual mode still on
      > >> endfunction
      > >>
      > >> vmap ,w :<c-u>call VisualMove()<cr>
      > >
      > > That works perfectly, although I have no idea why. Can you explain? I would
      > > think that calling `normal! gv` would have no effect, since that should
      > > reselect the current selection. But for some reason it allows you to call
      > > search() while staying in visual mode, which makes no sense to me. Perhaps
      > > I'm not looking at the right place in the documentation.
      >
      > Entering Cmdline mode with
      > :<c-u>call ...
      > turns Visual mode off, therefore
      > normal! gv
      > reselects the visual area.
      >
      > Within a function (or script or Ex-mode), the visual area is not turned off
      > between ex commands, because there is no actual mode switching
      > ... IMHO.
      >
      > I don't know if this is mentioned in the help.

      According to ":help mode-switching", it is not possible to enter visual mode
      from Ex or command-line mode. Either the table under ":help i_esc" needs
      to be updated or this needs to be fixed.

      According to that table, you can enter visual mode only from either normal or
      select modes.

      - Yegappan
    • Andy Wokula
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
        Yegappan Lakshmanan schrieb:
        > Hi,
        >
        > On 6/2/07, Andy Wokula <anwoku@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Within a function (or script or Ex-mode), the visual area is not
        >> turned off
        >> between ex commands, because there is no actual mode switching
        >> ... IMHO.
        >>
        >> I don't know if this is mentioned in the help.
        >>

        > According to ":help mode-switching", it is not possible to enter visual
        > mode
        > from Ex or command-line mode. Either the table under ":help i_esc" needs
        > to be updated or this needs to be fixed.
        >
        > According to that table, you can enter visual mode only from either
        > normal or
        > select modes.
        >
        > - Yegappan

        The following is possible: