Re: feedkeys() allowed in sandbox

  • Matthew Winn
    Message 1 of 25 , May 3 2:07 AM
      On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:42:02 +1000, "John Beckett"
      <winterwaffle@...> wrote:

      > Matthew Winn wrote:
      > > If there was a security problem in Vim do you really think it
      > > couldn't be exploited in 100 characters? That's a pretty shaky
      > > foundation on which to build your security.
      >
      > I am quite surprised at the lack of appreciation for the merits
      > of "defense in depth" here. I am not claiming that a length
      > limit would preclude damage, just that a modeline should be
      > sanity checked before execution, and a reasonable length would
      > be the first check.

      What constitutes a "reasonable length"? Vim has to load the entire
      document including its modeline into memory anyway, so there's no
      denial-of-service implications in allowing unlimited modelines.
      Your suggestion amounts to "I won't use a modeline longer than X,
      so nobody will use a modeline longer than X".

      My objection to your idea is that it won't improve security by even
      the tiniest bit. It's not defence in depth at all. It's a worthless
      measure that can't achieve anything useful and can only get in the
      way of legitimate uses. Any modeline long enough to be useful for a
      legitimate purpose must also be long enough to be useful for a hostile
      one.

      > It's sensational that Vim can process files with very long
      > lines, for the occasions we need that. But it would be absurd
      > for Vim to process a multi-megabyte modeline.

      Where do you draw the line between absurd and reasonable? When I write
      options I spell out the names in full so they're easier to understand
      for someone who doesn't know Vim well. That means that my modelines
      are quite long. But someone who wanted to save space could use the
      abbreviated form of an option. That means that if a modeline can be
      long enough to satisfy me it would give an attacker the ability to use
      several times as many options to craft their exploit as are needed for
      general use.

      > By all means abuse me for my cheeky suggestion to limit
      > modelines to 100 bytes, but while doing that you might agree
      > that some limit under 1MB should be enforced.

      Why?

      In some places there are good reasons for limiting sizes. For example,
      RFC2822 places a limit of 998 characters on the length of a line. The
      reason for this is so that RFC2822-conforming applications don't have
      to deal with data of arbitrary length and allocate unlimited buffers
      to handle it. They can allocate a buffer 1001 characters long and
      discard anything that won't fit in the buffer, thereby preventing the
      possibility of denial-of-service attacks from someone sending a line
      several hundred megabytes long.

      Vim doesn't have that issue because it must load the entire file into
      memory anyway. Vim already knows how to deal with long lines, so
      there's no extra penalty incurred by a multi-megabyte modeline.

      > > A web browser should be able to handle anything thrown at it
      > > in a way that doesn't compromise security. _Every_ application
      > > should be able to handle anything thrown at it in a way that
      > > doesn't compromise security.
      >
      > Even if a program is perfect now, a later change can introduce a
      > bug. Any program which can automatically execute untrusted code
      > should sanity-check the input as a separate step from
      > sandboxing. That is standard Security 101 stuff - not my idea.

      I've been working with computer security for over two decades. I know
      about standard security stuff. I also know that security that doesn't
      work is worse than no security at all, because it creates an illusion
      of protection where none exists.

      > > Perl and Vim have exactly the same requirements: the need to
      > > safely handle code taken from an untrustworthy source. It
      > > makes no difference whether it comes directly from a network
      > > or from a disk. (If, like me, you use Vim as your source
      > > viewer for web pages, the need for the same level of security
      > > is obvious.)
      >
      > It doesn't matter, but for the record, Perl's tainting system is
      > not related to the scenario you describe. Perl wants to make
      > sure that untrusted input is not later used as the basis for
      > some expression that could do harm, such as executing SQL code.

      That's what I meant, and that's exactly what Vim needs as well. Both
      applications read data from a source that can't be trusted, and both
      need to ensure that untrusted data can't be used in a situation where
      it could be dangerous. In Vim's case it needs to make sure that an
      expression used in an option set from a modeline can't be used later
      in a way that would cause harm, such as executing a command.

      Take a look at the original message. It sets foldmethod to something
      that triggers the execution of an external command after the modeline
      has been processed. Imagine you have a web page that contains the
      following (with the real command removed so it can't cause problems,
      just in case someone does view this in Vim; think of "rm -rf /"):

      <!--
      vim: fdm=expr fde=feedkeys("\\:!dangerous-command-here\\<cr>")
      -->

      Now imagine that someone uses Vim as their browser's "view source"
      application. That's _exactly_ the thing Perl's tainting mechanism is
      designed to prevent, and that's exactly what Vim must prevent too.

      --
      Matthew Winn
    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 25 , May 3 9:20 PM
        Matthew Winn wrote:
        > My objection to your idea is that it won't improve security by even
        > the tiniest bit. It's not defence in depth at all.

        We've probably slugged this out enough, but I'm glad to have
        another opportunity to promote the "safe modelines" message.

        Bram has made the point that despite repeated modeline
        vulnerabilities over several years, there are no known cases of
        a malicious attack. We have only seen PoC and jokes.

        I see the sense of that position - why put in a bunch of ugly
        checking which is going to reduce features and upset some users?
        Why do it if there are no known benefits?

        My answer is essentially an appeal to a higher moral purpose.
        There may never be in-the-wild exploits based on modelines, but
        that would make it all the easier to direct a specific attack
        against a targeted victim. The attacker would have a list of 10
        or 20 "slight" security flaws in the victim's network. One of
        those would be the fact that the victim uses Vim. An attacker
        may use a Vim modeline as the coup de grace to fully own the
        victim's network.

        I find that situation offensive, and believe that modelines
        should be REALLY fixed.

        My claim is:
        1. A modeline can execute untrusted code.
        2. That is incredibly dangerous.
        3. Any bugs in modeline handling should be fixed.
        4. In addition, modelines should be sanity checked.

        I think we agree on points 1-3.

        I mentioned that the first step for point 4 should (IMHO) be
        rejecting any modeline beyond some fairly small maximum size.

        However, that was just the first part of my hoped-for sanity
        check. After that, I would like the modeline to be examined to
        determine whether there are any constructs that "look"
        dangerous. I would reject any modeline with more than ten
        backslashes, and would reject anything looking like an
        expression or 'call'.

        What I'd really like would be a separate sanity check that
        verifies that the syntax in the modeline is boringly standard
        'set' options for a declared whitelist of things that a modeline
        is allowed to do. Note that this checking should NOT be done
        only in the code that executes the modeline. The checking should
        be an independent, prior step. That redundancy is likely to save
        someone's foot in future years, when extra features are added.

        > My objection to your idea [to limit modeline length] is that
        > it won't improve security by even the tiniest bit.

        You may be right. But if I were to accidentally execute malware,
        I would prefer that the malware was short, rather than of an
        essentially unlimited length. I agree that 100 bytes of malware
        could do more damage than I could bear, but I would still
        prefer that situation.

        For example, 100 bytes of malware might be able to erase my
        files, but perhaps it couldn't do something more sophisticated
        like launching a hidden infiltration of my network.

        I don't really know why I want to limit the modeline length.
        That's the whole point of proper security measures. Just because
        I can't think of a way that a long modeline might be bad, does
        not mean that some attacker won't find a way, particularly in
        five years after a bunch more stuff has been added to Vim.

        > That means that my modelines are quite long.

        I'm a reasonable guy<g>. Let's take your longest modeline and
        double it. That length should be the maximum allowed for a
        modeline unless some new "anything goes" option is enabled.

        Re Perl tainting: I think we essentially agree on this, although
        I don't think Vim needs to mark an executable expression read
        from a modeline as tainted. Vim should immediately reject any
        modeline that might execute code (unless some new "anything
        goes" option is enabled).

        John
      • Ciaran McCreesh
        Message 3 of 25 , May 4 7:14 AM
          On Fri, 4 May 2007 14:20:22 +1000
          "John Beckett" <winterwaffle@...> wrote:
          > I mentioned that the first step for point 4 should (IMHO) be
          > rejecting any modeline beyond some fairly small maximum size.

          Most previous exploits have been exploitable with far below the line
          length that is reasonably used by sensible people.

          > What I'd really like would be a separate sanity check that
          > verifies that the syntax in the modeline is boringly standard
          > 'set' options for a declared whitelist of things that a modeline
          > is allowed to do.

          > For example, 100 bytes of malware might be able to erase my
          > files, but perhaps it couldn't do something more sophisticated
          > like launching a hidden infiltration of my network.

          100 bytes is more than enough room to download and execute a file that
          contains the real malicious code.

          --
          Ciaran McCreesh
        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 25 , May 4 7:20 PM
            Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
            > 100 bytes is more than enough room to download and execute
            > a file that contains the real malicious code.

            I actually agree that it is extremely unlikely that a length
            check would make modelines more secure, but I'm being
            argumentative because it's irritating to be authoritatively
            assured that a length check would have no benefit in the future.

            We just don't know whether some future vulnerability (perhaps
            using a currently-unknown new feature) might be avoided with a
            modeline length check.

            John