patch 7.0.237

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      Patch 7.0.237
      Problem: For root it is recommended to not use 'modeline', but in
      not-compatible mode the default is on.
      Solution: Let 'modeline' default to off for root.
      Files: runtime/doc/options.txt, src/option.c

      *** ../vim-7.0.236/runtime/doc/options.txt Tue Oct 10 18:43:50 2006
      --- runtime/doc/options.txt Tue May 1 13:29:08 2007
      ***************
      *** 1,4 ****
      ! *options.txt* For Vim version 7.0. Last change: 2006 May 04

      VIM REFERENCE MANUAL by Bram Moolenaar
      --- 1,4 ----
      ! *options.txt* For Vim version 7.0. Last change: 2007 May 01

      VIM REFERENCE MANUAL by Bram Moolenaar
      ***************
      *** 528,534 ****
      ':' is removed. Thus to include "\:" you have to specify "\\:".

      No other commands than "set" are supported, for security reasons (somebody
      ! might create a Trojan horse text file with modelines).

      Hint: If you would like to do something else than setting an option, you could
      define an autocommand that checks the file for a specific string. For
      --- 528,539 ----
      ':' is removed. Thus to include "\:" you have to specify "\\:".

      No other commands than "set" are supported, for security reasons (somebody
      ! might create a Trojan horse text file with modelines). And not all options
      ! can be set. For some options a flag is set, so that when it's used the
      ! |sandbox| is effective. Still, there is always a small risc that a modeline
      ! causes trouble. E.g., when some joker sets 'textwidth' to 5 all your lines
      ! are wrapped unexpectedly. So disable modelines before editing untrusted text.
      ! The mail ftplugin does this, for example.

      Hint: If you would like to do something else than setting an option, you could
      define an autocommand that checks the file for a specific string. For
      ***************
      *** 4520,4526 ****
      languages, no matter what you set 'mkspellmem' to.

      *'modeline'* *'ml'* *'nomodeline'* *'noml'*
      ! 'modeline' 'ml' boolean (Vim default: on, Vi default: off)
      local to buffer
      *'modelines'* *'mls'*
      'modelines' 'mls' number (default 5)
      --- 4557,4564 ----
      languages, no matter what you set 'mkspellmem' to.

      *'modeline'* *'ml'* *'nomodeline'* *'noml'*
      ! 'modeline' 'ml' boolean (Vim default: on (off for root),
      ! Vi default: off)
      local to buffer
      *'modelines'* *'mls'*
      'modelines' 'mls' number (default 5)
      *** ../vim-7.0.236/src/option.c Tue May 1 13:39:14 2007
      --- src/option.c Tue May 1 13:26:10 2007
      ***************
      *** 3429,3434 ****
      --- 3429,3439 ----
      /* the cast to long is required for Manx C, long_i is needed for
      * MSVC */
      *(int *)varp = (int)(long)(long_i)options[opt_idx].def_val[dvi];
      + #ifdef UNIX
      + /* 'modeline' defaults to off for root */
      + if (options[opt_idx].indir == PV_ML && getuid() == ROOT_UID)
      + *(int *)varp = FALSE;
      + #endif
      /* May also set global value for local option. */
      if (both)
      *(int *)get_varp_scope(&(options[opt_idx]), OPT_GLOBAL) =
      *** ../vim-7.0.236/src/version.c Tue May 1 13:39:14 2007
      --- src/version.c Tue May 1 19:03:09 2007
      ***************
      *** 668,669 ****
      --- 668,671 ----
      { /* Add new patch number below this line */
      + /**/
      + 237,
      /**/

      --
      The users that I support would double-click on a landmine to find out
      what happens. -- A system administrator

    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Patch 7.0.237
        > Problem: For root it is recommended to not use 'modeline', but in
        > not-compatible mode the default is on.
        > Solution: Let 'modeline' default to off for root.
        > Files: runtime/doc/options.txt, src/option.c

        Note:

        :set ml&vim
        or
        :set nocompatible
        :set ml&

        still sets 'modeline' on, even when logged-in as root.

        If you want to understand your government, don't begin by reading the
        Constitution. It conveys precious little of the flavor of today's
        statecraft. Instead, read selected portions of the Washington
        telephone directory containing listings for all the organizations with
        titles beginning with the word "National".
        -- George Will