Re: feedkeys() allowed in sandbox

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2007
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > N times as safe still isn't 100% safe.

      I am not claiming that sanity-checking a modeline before
      execution would make it 100% safe. But there have been many
      examples in other software where minor bugs have turned into
      security disasters because some simple point that could have
      been checked, wasn't.

      While code is working correctly, a simple check is redundant,
      and indeed is offensive because it lengthens and obscures the
      code. But a few simple checks may prevent disaster at some
      future time, when Vim is further developed.

      The Google test (searching for past instances of trouble with
      Vim's modeline) proves the case that future problems are likely.

      > Modelines are default off when you are root.
      > The mail filetype plugin also switches it off.

      Good grief - I didn't know that. So you *have* got sanity checks
      built in! I'll go and sit in the corner now, but thanks for
      confirming that multiple layers of defence are desirable.

      John
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2007
        Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        [...]
        > Modelines are default off when you are root. The mail filetype plugin
        > also switches it off.
        [...]

        Are you sure? In a terminal logged-in as root, using vim 7.0.235:

        vim -u NONE -N
        :set ml? mls?
        modeline
        modelines=5

        Modelines default off when 'compatible' is set, they default on (and 5) when
        'nocompatible' is set. Root login changes nothing to that AFAICT.

        "You mean there really is an answer?"
        "Yes! But you're not going to like it!"
        "Oh do please tell us!"
        "You're really not going to like it!"
        "but we MUST know - tell us"
        "Alright, the answer is...."
        "yes..."
        "... is ..."
        "yes... come on!"
        "is 42!"
        (Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
        Message 3 of 25 , May 1, 2007
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > [...]
          > > Modelines are default off when you are root. The mail filetype plugin
          > > also switches it off.
          > [...]
          >
          > Are you sure? In a terminal logged-in as root, using vim 7.0.235:
          >
          > vim -u NONE -N
          > :set ml? mls?
          > modeline
          > modelines=5
          >
          > Modelines default off when 'compatible' is set, they default on (and 5) when
          > 'nocompatible' is set. Root login changes nothing to that AFAICT.

          Sorry, my mistake. There is a recommendation that when working as root
          you switch 'modeline' off, but it's not done automatically.

          I do think that it's a good idea to make it automatic.

          --
          He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

        • Matthew Winn
          Message 4 of 25 , May 3, 2007
            On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:42:02 +1000, "John Beckett"
            <winterwaffle@...> wrote:

            > Matthew Winn wrote:
            > > If there was a security problem in Vim do you really think it
            > > couldn't be exploited in 100 characters? That's a pretty shaky
            > > foundation on which to build your security.
            >
            > I am quite surprised at the lack of appreciation for the merits
            > of "defense in depth" here. I am not claiming that a length
            > limit would preclude damage, just that a modeline should be
            > sanity checked before execution, and a reasonable length would
            > be the first check.

            What constitutes a "reasonable length"? Vim has to load the entire
            document including its modeline into memory anyway, so there's no
            denial-of-service implications in allowing unlimited modelines.
            Your suggestion amounts to "I won't use a modeline longer than X,
            so nobody will use a modeline longer than X".

            My objection to your idea is that it won't improve security by even
            the tiniest bit. It's not defence in depth at all. It's a worthless
            measure that can't achieve anything useful and can only get in the
            way of legitimate uses. Any modeline long enough to be useful for a
            legitimate purpose must also be long enough to be useful for a hostile
            one.

            > It's sensational that Vim can process files with very long
            > lines, for the occasions we need that. But it would be absurd
            > for Vim to process a multi-megabyte modeline.

            Where do you draw the line between absurd and reasonable? When I write
            options I spell out the names in full so they're easier to understand
            for someone who doesn't know Vim well. That means that my modelines
            are quite long. But someone who wanted to save space could use the
            abbreviated form of an option. That means that if a modeline can be
            long enough to satisfy me it would give an attacker the ability to use
            several times as many options to craft their exploit as are needed for
            general use.

            > By all means abuse me for my cheeky suggestion to limit
            > modelines to 100 bytes, but while doing that you might agree
            > that some limit under 1MB should be enforced.

            Why?

            In some places there are good reasons for limiting sizes. For example,
            RFC2822 places a limit of 998 characters on the length of a line. The
            reason for this is so that RFC2822-conforming applications don't have
            to deal with data of arbitrary length and allocate unlimited buffers
            to handle it. They can allocate a buffer 1001 characters long and
            discard anything that won't fit in the buffer, thereby preventing the
            possibility of denial-of-service attacks from someone sending a line
            several hundred megabytes long.

            Vim doesn't have that issue because it must load the entire file into
            memory anyway. Vim already knows how to deal with long lines, so
            there's no extra penalty incurred by a multi-megabyte modeline.

            > > A web browser should be able to handle anything thrown at it
            > > in a way that doesn't compromise security. _Every_ application
            > > should be able to handle anything thrown at it in a way that
            > > doesn't compromise security.
            >
            > Even if a program is perfect now, a later change can introduce a
            > bug. Any program which can automatically execute untrusted code
            > should sanity-check the input as a separate step from
            > sandboxing. That is standard Security 101 stuff - not my idea.

            I've been working with computer security for over two decades. I know
            about standard security stuff. I also know that security that doesn't
            work is worse than no security at all, because it creates an illusion
            of protection where none exists.

            > > Perl and Vim have exactly the same requirements: the need to
            > > safely handle code taken from an untrustworthy source. It
            > > makes no difference whether it comes directly from a network
            > > or from a disk. (If, like me, you use Vim as your source
            > > viewer for web pages, the need for the same level of security
            > > is obvious.)
            >
            > It doesn't matter, but for the record, Perl's tainting system is
            > not related to the scenario you describe. Perl wants to make
            > sure that untrusted input is not later used as the basis for
            > some expression that could do harm, such as executing SQL code.

            That's what I meant, and that's exactly what Vim needs as well. Both
            applications read data from a source that can't be trusted, and both
            need to ensure that untrusted data can't be used in a situation where
            it could be dangerous. In Vim's case it needs to make sure that an
            expression used in an option set from a modeline can't be used later
            in a way that would cause harm, such as executing a command.

            Take a look at the original message. It sets foldmethod to something
            that triggers the execution of an external command after the modeline
            has been processed. Imagine you have a web page that contains the
            following (with the real command removed so it can't cause problems,
            just in case someone does view this in Vim; think of "rm -rf /"):

            <!--
            vim: fdm=expr fde=feedkeys("\\:!dangerous-command-here\\<cr>")
            -->

            Now imagine that someone uses Vim as their browser's "view source"
            application. That's _exactly_ the thing Perl's tainting mechanism is
            designed to prevent, and that's exactly what Vim must prevent too.

            --
            Matthew Winn
          • John Beckett
            Message 5 of 25 , May 3, 2007
              Matthew Winn wrote:
              > My objection to your idea is that it won't improve security by even
              > the tiniest bit. It's not defence in depth at all.

              We've probably slugged this out enough, but I'm glad to have
              another opportunity to promote the "safe modelines" message.

              Bram has made the point that despite repeated modeline
              vulnerabilities over several years, there are no known cases of
              a malicious attack. We have only seen PoC and jokes.

              I see the sense of that position - why put in a bunch of ugly
              checking which is going to reduce features and upset some users?
              Why do it if there are no known benefits?

              My answer is essentially an appeal to a higher moral purpose.
              There may never be in-the-wild exploits based on modelines, but
              that would make it all the easier to direct a specific attack
              against a targeted victim. The attacker would have a list of 10
              or 20 "slight" security flaws in the victim's network. One of
              those would be the fact that the victim uses Vim. An attacker
              may use a Vim modeline as the coup de grace to fully own the
              victim's network.

              I find that situation offensive, and believe that modelines
              should be REALLY fixed.

              My claim is:
              1. A modeline can execute untrusted code.
              2. That is incredibly dangerous.
              3. Any bugs in modeline handling should be fixed.
              4. In addition, modelines should be sanity checked.

              I think we agree on points 1-3.

              I mentioned that the first step for point 4 should (IMHO) be
              rejecting any modeline beyond some fairly small maximum size.

              However, that was just the first part of my hoped-for sanity
              check. After that, I would like the modeline to be examined to
              determine whether there are any constructs that "look"
              dangerous. I would reject any modeline with more than ten
              backslashes, and would reject anything looking like an
              expression or 'call'.

              What I'd really like would be a separate sanity check that
              verifies that the syntax in the modeline is boringly standard
              'set' options for a declared whitelist of things that a modeline
              is allowed to do. Note that this checking should NOT be done
              only in the code that executes the modeline. The checking should
              be an independent, prior step. That redundancy is likely to save
              someone's foot in future years, when extra features are added.

              > My objection to your idea [to limit modeline length] is that
              > it won't improve security by even the tiniest bit.

              You may be right. But if I were to accidentally execute malware,
              I would prefer that the malware was short, rather than of an
              essentially unlimited length. I agree that 100 bytes of malware
              could do more damage than I could bear, but I would still
              prefer that situation.

              For example, 100 bytes of malware might be able to erase my
              files, but perhaps it couldn't do something more sophisticated
              like launching a hidden infiltration of my network.

              I don't really know why I want to limit the modeline length.
              That's the whole point of proper security measures. Just because
              I can't think of a way that a long modeline might be bad, does
              not mean that some attacker won't find a way, particularly in
              five years after a bunch more stuff has been added to Vim.

              > That means that my modelines are quite long.

              I'm a reasonable guy<g>. Let's take your longest modeline and
              double it. That length should be the maximum allowed for a
              modeline unless some new "anything goes" option is enabled.

              Re Perl tainting: I think we essentially agree on this, although
              I don't think Vim needs to mark an executable expression read
              from a modeline as tainted. Vim should immediately reject any
              modeline that might execute code (unless some new "anything
              goes" option is enabled).

              John
            • Ciaran McCreesh
              Message 6 of 25 , May 4, 2007
                On Fri, 4 May 2007 14:20:22 +1000
                "John Beckett" <winterwaffle@...> wrote:
                > I mentioned that the first step for point 4 should (IMHO) be
                > rejecting any modeline beyond some fairly small maximum size.

                Most previous exploits have been exploitable with far below the line
                length that is reasonably used by sensible people.

                > What I'd really like would be a separate sanity check that
                > verifies that the syntax in the modeline is boringly standard
                > 'set' options for a declared whitelist of things that a modeline
                > is allowed to do.

                > For example, 100 bytes of malware might be able to erase my
                > files, but perhaps it couldn't do something more sophisticated
                > like launching a hidden infiltration of my network.

                100 bytes is more than enough room to download and execute a file that
                contains the real malicious code.

                --
                Ciaran McCreesh
              • John Beckett
                Message 7 of 25 , May 4, 2007
                  Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
                  > 100 bytes is more than enough room to download and execute
                  > a file that contains the real malicious code.

                  I actually agree that it is extremely unlikely that a length
                  check would make modelines more secure, but I'm being
                  argumentative because it's irritating to be authoritatively
                  assured that a length check would have no benefit in the future.

                  We just don't know whether some future vulnerability (perhaps
                  using a currently-unknown new feature) might be avoided with a
                  modeline length check.

                  John