Re: A secure, configurable alternative to modelines

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 2:36 AM
      Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
      > I've written a script that reimplements a restricted form of
      > modelines as .vim code rather than internals:

      Very interesting script - thanks.

      A quick overview for anyone interested:
      - Include 'set nomodeline' in your vimrc.
      - Use Ciaran's plugin which will set modeline options.

      The plugin scans the first 5 and the last 5 lines of each
      buffer (in BufRead). It parses any modeline, and executes code
      to set options which you have allowed. But it is only capable
      of doing certain very restricted things, and so is very safe.
      For example, it can set textwidth or tabstop etc. Any other
      setting is ignored (or shows a warning in verbose mode).

      Your script is very helpful and I will try it. However, as you
      would be painfully aware, it doesn't cover awkward cases like
      using Vim on another computer, or making a mistake and executing
      a Vim without your normal vimrc.

      John