Vim binaries for Linux

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2007
      Announcement: I've tentatively uploaded my current vim binary. Here are the
      details and caveats:

      - ":version" output is at
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/version.txt -- check this first
      before you attempt to download the executable.
      - executable is at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vim -- to
      download it, you will probably have to click right on this link, then "Save
      Link Target As..." or whatever your mailer calls it.
      - This is a "huge" Linux/i86 version with GTK2/Gnome GUI and support for perl,
      python, ruby and tcl, compiled on openSUSE 10.2. If you think it's overly
      bloated (and you quite well may), well, compile your own then: see e.g. my
      "how-to" page http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
      - I compiled it about one and a half hours ago to the latest patchlevel
      (7.0.235), plus one additional (unnumbered) patch by Bram Moolenaar to fix the
      'maxmemtot' default value.
      - This is a "naked" executable with no runtime files, no message translations
      and no ancillary programs (such as xxd). You will have to get all that from a
      different source such as ftp.vim.org, and keep them up-to-date yourself. This
      executable expects to find its runtime files starting at the default location,
      /usr/local/share/vim/vim70
      - GNOME support, which is included, is *not* recommended by Bram. Warnings in
      the compilation of gui_gtk_x11.c seem to indicate that there "might" be
      problems with message translations, especially if you change the 'encoding'
      setting in your vimrc.
      - It works on my machine with the software I have installed. I don't know if
      it will work on yours, so:
      - you may want to keep (under another name or path) a backup Vim executable
      which you got somewhere else, at least until you've verified that you can use
      this one.
      - I don't know exactly how much your system must resemble mine in order to
      be able to run this executable. I think the GUI won't run without GTK2 and
      Gnome2, and I don't know if this editor version will load without perl,
      python, ruby and tcl. You may want to check the bottom part of my ":version"
      text for other library names.
      - if it doesn't work for you, and you cannot make it work by (for instance)
      installing missing libraries, you may want to discuss symptoms with me, either
      on the vim-dev list if you think it's on-topic for the list, or by private
      mail. In the latter case, please use an explicit "Subject" line because if I
      don't recognise an email's Subject I treat it as spam; and I get a lot of spam.

      Happy Vimming!
      For years a secret shame destroyed my peace --
      I'd not read Eliot, Auden or MacNiece.
      But now I think a thought that brings me hope:
      Neither had Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Pope.
      -- Justin Richardson.