VIM doesn't need new features?!?!

  • Peter Michaux
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
      Hi,

      I like VIM. I want to use VIM as my everyday editor. I even spent a
      frustrating week trying to determine if VIM could replace Textmate as
      my main editor. VIM is very good for working with a single file but
      the concept of a project is not really there. I looked at plugins,
      talked with people in #vim about plugins and how to extend VIM. I
      figured it would probably take a year of spare time for me to learn
      how and then write the plugin to do what Textmate can do with respect
      to projects right when it is installed: a project drawer, project
      tabs, multiple open projects, project-wide search and selective
      replace. And now I see that VIM doesn't need more features...

      http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

      Darn.

      Peter
    • Suresh Govindachar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
        Peter Michaux wrote on April 15, 2007

        > I like VIM. I want to use VIM as my everyday editor. I even
        > spent a frustrating week trying to determine if VIM could
        > replace Textmate as my main editor. VIM is very good for
        > working with a single file but the concept of a project is not
        > really there.

        If the user has a certain concept of a "project" vim gives him
        many ways to implement that concept. But it is up to him to work
        at defining the concept and using some language (vimL, perl or
        python) to implement it.

        > I looked at plugins, talked with people in #vim about plugins
        > and how to extend VIM.

        A few others have implemented their idea of a "project" and
        offered their work to others as plugins at vim.org.

        > I figured it would probably take a year of spare time for me to
        > learn how and then write the plugin

        Too bad that none of their idea of a "project" matches yours!

        > to do what Textmate can do with respect to projects right when
        > it is installed: a project drawer, project tabs, multiple open
        > projects, project-wide search and selective replace. And now I
        > see that VIM doesn't need more features...
        >
        > http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

        The preceding shows you have trouble reading -- that page has a
        link to a "voting page", which page lists certain core features
        that could be added to vim. If your investigation into plugins
        was as casual as your reading of the above link, then your efforts
        at finding and evaluating existing plugins in relation to your
        notion of a project are likely to have been botched!

        > Darn.
        >
        > Peter
      • Peter Michaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2007
          On 4/15/07, Suresh Govindachar <sgovindachar@...> wrote:

          > > to do what Textmate can do with respect to projects right when
          > > it is installed: a project drawer, project tabs, multiple open
          > > projects, project-wide search and selective replace. And now I
          > > see that VIM doesn't need more features...
          > >
          > > http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php
          >
          > The preceding shows you have trouble reading -- that page has a
          > link to a "voting page", which page lists certain core features
          > that could be added to vim. If your investigation into plugins
          > was as casual as your reading of the above link, then your efforts
          > at finding and evaluating existing plugins in relation to your
          > notion of a project are likely to have been botched!

          "Vim has many, many features. We don't really need more"

          Peter
        • Milan Vancura
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
            > > The preceding shows you have trouble reading -- that page has a
            > > link to a "voting page", which page lists certain core features
            > > that could be added to vim. If your investigation into plugins
            > > was as casual as your reading of the above link, then your efforts
            > > at finding and evaluating existing plugins in relation to your
            > > notion of a project are likely to have been botched!
            >
            > "Vim has many, many features. We don't really need more"

            Peter, don't start flames, please. vim-dev list is a very valuable list exactly
            for the reason that people usualy don't try flaming here.

            It's easy to take one sentence without any context and become upset. Read more
            (as Suresh Govindachar already suggested) and your life will be nicer again.
            Please start with Suresh Govindachar's e-mail, the answer for you is already
            there. The sentence you started a flame with means that it seems we can add new
            features by some script languages (most usualy the internal vim script) and
            don't need to add every bell and whistle in the core vim code.

            And it's true for your problem too: core vim features are strong enough to
            allow "project handling" - but the exact implementation is up to your choice.
            There are several plugins ready at vim.org which you can use or modify.

            So again: please start reading at vim.org again with this information in mind.
            And stop the flame. If you have a concrete question, ask here or at vim-users.

            Thank you and have a nice day,

            Milan Vancura
            --
            Milan Vancura, Prague, Czech Republic, Europe
          • Charles E Campbell Jr
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
              Peter Michaux wrote:

              > And now I see that VIM doesn't need more features...
              >
              > http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php

              May I suggest taking a look at:

              http://vim.sourceforge.net/sponsor/vote_results.php

              Regards,
              Chip Campbell
            • Halim, Salman
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 16, 2007
                I really didn't think Peter said anything that was a flame. Perhaps he
                didn't read the whole thing, but I, too, initially walked away with the
                same conclusion was he did, and I *have* been using Vim for a long time.
                (I just know better because I've been here longer.)

                Suresh, on the other hand, was pretty much out of line and actually took
                it to the level of personal attacks. Makes me wonder if he's really
                Sven Guckes in disguise.

                Salman.

              • 范德成
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 19, 2007
                  Peter Michaux wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I like VIM. I want to use VIM as my everyday editor. I even spent a
                  > frustrating week trying to determine if VIM could replace Textmate as
                  > my main editor. VIM is very good for working with a single file but
                  > the concept of a project is not really there. I looked at plugins,
                  > talked with people in #vim about plugins and how to extend VIM. I
                  > figured it would probably take a year of spare time for me to learn
                  > how and then write the plugin to do what Textmate can do with respect
                  > to projects right when it is installed: a project drawer, project
                  > tabs, multiple open projects, project-wide search and selective
                  > replace. And now I see that VIM doesn't need more features...
                  >
                  > http://www.vim.org/soc/ideas.php
                  >
                  > Darn.
                  >
                  > Peter

                  I use vim 6.4, which doesn't have the Tabs feature in vim 7.0, but am
                  still happy with it. To be honest, I do use Visual Studio to browse my
                  working project, but I also use rosh (written by my self, see
                  http://sourceforge.net/projects/winrosh/ ), together with Windows' Task
                  Manager, to work with many files in the project. To switch directories
                  back and forth and to launch instances of gvim, I use rosh. To do
                  editing of several files (not too many, normally 4) at the same time, I
                  use gvim. To switch between gvim instances, I use Task Manager. To
                  browse the whole project, I use Visual Studio. They work together well.