Re: Wish, Kate like file list.

  • Ingo Karkat
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2007
      Edd Barrett wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > This might already be possible, please excuse me if it is.
      >
      > I love the editting features of vim, but find that navigating between
      > open files is quite difficult.
      >
      > Ideally I think I would be quite confortable with a kate like
      > interface for listing open files:
      > http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.1/fullsize/2.png (screenshot)
      >
      > I got quite close by messing about with netrw in a vertical split, but
      > the list pane did not:
      >
      > - Remain the same size
      > - Show only one file to be open in the right hand pane. It would
      > always split again for each newly selected file.
      >
      > Does anyone know how to do this?
      >
      > Would anyone find this useful?
      >
      > I have looked into using vim-part inside kate, but this is not
      > supported for my UNIX distribution.

      I haven't used Kate, but I'm using a combination of
      - project (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=69) to
      (re-)open files belonging to a custom file structure,
      - ProjectBrowse (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=943) to
      open files in subdirectories and - most useful -
      - bufexplorer (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=42) to
      navigate between files currently open in buffers.

      I've set up those plugins to open in a vertical split at the left side (like in
      most IDEs). Each view can be toggled on/off via a function key (F2, F3, F4). If
      one view is already open, trying to open another one will close the former, so
      that they don't eat up all of my window space.

      To achieve that, I've written mappings and VIM scripts like this (Attention!
      Incomplete code, just for illustration!):

      function s:IsProjectWindowEnabled()
      if exists("g:proj_running")
      if( bufwinnr( bufname( g:proj_running ) ) != -1 )
      return 1
      endif
      endif
      return 0
      endfunction

      function s:ToggleProjectWindow()
      " Project, TagList, JavaBrowser and BufExplorer vie for the same screen
      real estate; so
      " close other windows first.
      if( s:IsTagListEnabled() )
      call s:ToggleTagListWindow()
      endif
      if( s:IsJavaBrowserEnabled() )
      call s:ToggleJavaBrowserWindow()
      endif
      if( s:IsBufExplorerEnabled() )
      call s:ToggleBufExplorerWindow()
      endif

      " :Project has no toggle semantic itself, so we have to close the window
      " on our own.
      if( ! s:IsProjectWindowEnabled() )
      silent execute "Project"
      else
      silent execute "Project"
      silent execute "close"
      endif
      endfunction

      nmap <silent> <F2> :call <SID>ToggleProjectWindow()<CR>
      imap <silent> <F2> <C-O>:call <SID>ToggleProjectWindow()<CR>

      -- regards, ingo

      /^-- Ingo Karkat -- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- http://ingo-karkat.de/ --
    • Ian Tegebo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2007
        On 4/12/07, Ingo Karkat <swdev@...> wrote:
        > Edd Barrett wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > This might already be possible, please excuse me if it is.
        > >
        > > I love the editting features of vim, but find that navigating between
        > > open files is quite difficult.
        > >
        > > Ideally I think I would be quite confortable with a kate like
        > > interface for listing open files:
        > > http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.1/fullsize/2.png (screenshot)
        > >
        > > I got quite close by messing about with netrw in a vertical split, but
        > > the list pane did not:
        > >
        > > - Remain the same size
        > > - Show only one file to be open in the right hand pane. It would
        > > always split again for each newly selected file.
        > >
        > > Does anyone know how to do this?
        > >
        > > Would anyone find this useful?
        > >
        > > I have looked into using vim-part inside kate, but this is not
        > > supported for my UNIX distribution.
        > >

        > I haven't used Kate, but I'm using a combination of
        > - project (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=69) to
        > (re-)open files belonging to a custom file structure,
        > - ProjectBrowse (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=943) to
        > open files in subdirectories and - most useful -
        > - bufexplorer (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=42) to
        > navigate between files currently open in buffers.
        >
        > I've set up those plugins to open in a vertical split at the left side (like in
        > most IDEs). Each view can be toggled on/off via a function key (F2, F3, F4). If
        > one view is already open, trying to open another one will close the former, so
        > that they don't eat up all of my window space.
        I was hoping the SideBar.vim plugin would do this for me:

        Unfortunately it's broken for me in vim70 (shame on me for not
        contacting the maintainer or fixing it myself). At the moment it
        doesn't properly control the width of the sidebar.

        I was hoping to use only one function key that would cycle through my
        sidebars; maybe CTRL-FX would drop a sidebar or prompt to add another.
        Thanks for you code!

        --
        Ian Tegebo
      • Ian Tegebo
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2007
          On 4/12/07, Edd Barrett <vext01@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > This might already be possible, please excuse me if it is.
          >
          > I love the editting features of vim, but find that navigating between
          > open files is quite difficult.
          >
          > Ideally I think I would be quite confortable with a kate like
          > interface for listing open files:
          > http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.1/fullsize/2.png (screenshot)
          You might want to look at winmanager:

          http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~srinath/vim/snapshot2.JPG

          It seems a very popular plugin for accomplishing this. If you search
          for 'tree' or 'file explorer' in the scripts section you'll see many
          more options.

          --
          Ian Tegebo