Re: Reannouncing vimplugin: A vim plugin for Eclipse

  • Silent1
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
      just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
      vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
      zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
      specific plugins? Thanks
      --Brendon

      On 3/30/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
      > Hi all
      >
      > After a long time of no activity we restarted the work on a small plugin
      > to embed vim into the Eclipse IDE.
      >
      > See http://vimplugin.sf.net and http://sf.net/vimplugin for details.
      >
      > If you are familiar with eclipse, there is an update site
      > http://vimplugin.sf.net/update with the latest build.
      >
      > Microsoft users have to use the cygwin version of vim.
      >
      > We also have a prototype of an eclipse-plugin that talks to a gvim that
      > acts as "netbeans" server (:help netbeans).
      >
      > More detailed info on that can be found here:
      > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/branches/vimclient/doc/README
      >
      > Both projects are standard eclipse projects that can be checked out
      > anonymously via subversion (you need subclipse then):
      >
      > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/trunk/vimplugin
      > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/branches/vimclient
      >
      > This time we'll keep an better eye on community building: So please try
      > it out and give some feedback. On http://sf.net/projects/vimplugin you
      > can find forums and of course mailinglists.
      >
      > Best regards, Sebastian.

    • Sebastian Menge
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2007, 13:33 -0400 schrieb Silent1:
        > Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
        > just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
        > vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
        > zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
        > specific plugins? Thanks
        > --Brendon

        [replying to vim-dev only]
        [crossposting to vimplugin-devel]

        The overall goal of the project is to tightly integrate vim into
        eclipse. That means that the developer should choose what features of
        what program to use.

        On a higher level the idea is to treat vim as real editor component but
        to let other things like compiling, cvs/svn, integration of
        api-documentation, large scale refactorings, perhaps gui-building to the
        IDE.

        So the spirit is "Vim is not an IDE".

        The eclipse core plugin architecture uses so called "extension points"
        to define its interfaces. The idea of vimplugin is to map those
        extension points to vim features where possible/adequate. That means
        that if phpeclipse and the like work as intended with such interfaces,
        the integration with vim could work out.

        Problems will come when there are redundant features: Which one is the
        better? (e.g. QuickFix, Buffers)

        But that's still a long way to go.

        At the moment we are struggling to build a text(terminal)-based vim with
        netbeans support.

        >From :help netbeans-configure

        > Currently, only gvim is supported in this integration as NetBeans does not
        > have means to supply a terminal emulator for the vim command. Furthermore,
        > there is only GUI support for GTK, GNOME, and Motif.

        Any idea why it is like that or how one could change it !?

        Help or suggestions are appreciated.

        Sebastian.
      • Sergey Khorev
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Sebastian Menge wrote:
          > Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2007, 13:33 -0400 schrieb Silent1:
          >> Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
          >> just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
          >> vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
          >> zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
          >> specific plugins? Thanks
          >> --Brendon
          >
          > [replying to vim-dev only]
          > [crossposting to vimplugin-devel]
          >
          > The overall goal of the project is to tightly integrate vim into
          > eclipse. That means that the developer should choose what features of
          > what program to use.
          >
          > On a higher level the idea is to treat vim as real editor component but
          > to let other things like compiling, cvs/svn, integration of
          > api-documentation, large scale refactorings, perhaps gui-building to the
          > IDE.
          >
          > So the spirit is "Vim is not an IDE".
          >
          > The eclipse core plugin architecture uses so called "extension points"
          > to define its interfaces. The idea of vimplugin is to map those
          > extension points to vim features where possible/adequate. That means
          > that if phpeclipse and the like work as intended with such interfaces,
          > the integration with vim could work out.
          >
          > Problems will come when there are redundant features: Which one is the
          > better? (e.g. QuickFix, Buffers)
          >
          > But that's still a long way to go.
          >
          > At the moment we are struggling to build a text(terminal)-based vim with
          > netbeans support.

          >>From :help netbeans-configure
          >
          >> Currently, only gvim is supported in this integration as NetBeans does not
          >> have means to supply a terminal emulator for the vim command. Furthermore,
          >> there is only GUI support for GTK, GNOME, and Motif.
          >
          > Any idea why it is like that or how one could change it !?
          >
          > Help or suggestions are appreciated.

          Vim is a single threaded application so using of windowing toolkit
          facilities is the only approach to receive asynchronous notifications.
          If you want Netbeans support for console you need to include polling
          into relevant pieces of code.

          Also I'm afraid it's impossible to create terminal emulation support for
          Windows console version, just because there are no magic sequences in
          windows console, you need to use respective WinAPI functions. So IMHO
          it's quite pointless to create console Vim with Netbeans support for
          Windows.

          Personally I tried to create an Eclipse plugin for Netbeans protocol
          using org.eclipse.ui.editors connection point. Currently, it's not ready
          for public and I'm not improving it atm.