RE: Reannouncing vimplugin: A vim plugin for Eclipse

  • David Fishburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30 9:24 AM

      Sebastian, fantastic I have been wanting this for sometime.

      I was writing up an email indicating I need some more direction, but I see
      that was provided in the README via SVN.

      I will try this out (I don't use Eclipse that often, but I do use it for
      Perl, PHP and Java especially when I need an integrated debugger.

      The README indicates:
      The only external dependency is a functional gvim compiled with "netbeans"
      support.

      But your email says:
      > Microsoft users have to use the cygwin version of vim.

      Can you confirm which is required. Why would the cygwin version of Vim be
      required it is just talks to it over a protocol?

      I have cygwin installed, but I have never actually compiled an actual cygwin
      version of Vim, I just use the standard win32 version which I compile
      myself.

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Silent1
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
        just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
        vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
        zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
        specific plugins? Thanks
        --Brendon

        On 3/30/07, Sebastian Menge <sebastian.menge@...> wrote:
        > Hi all
        >
        > After a long time of no activity we restarted the work on a small plugin
        > to embed vim into the Eclipse IDE.
        >
        > See http://vimplugin.sf.net and http://sf.net/vimplugin for details.
        >
        > If you are familiar with eclipse, there is an update site
        > http://vimplugin.sf.net/update with the latest build.
        >
        > Microsoft users have to use the cygwin version of vim.
        >
        > We also have a prototype of an eclipse-plugin that talks to a gvim that
        > acts as "netbeans" server (:help netbeans).
        >
        > More detailed info on that can be found here:
        > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/branches/vimclient/doc/README
        >
        > Both projects are standard eclipse projects that can be checked out
        > anonymously via subversion (you need subclipse then):
        >
        > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/trunk/vimplugin
        > http://vimplugin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vimplugin/branches/vimclient
        >
        > This time we'll keep an better eye on community building: So please try
        > it out and give some feedback. On http://sf.net/projects/vimplugin you
        > can find forums and of course mailinglists.
        >
        > Best regards, Sebastian.

      • Sebastian Menge
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2007, 13:33 -0400 schrieb Silent1:
          > Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
          > just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
          > vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
          > zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
          > specific plugins? Thanks
          > --Brendon

          [replying to vim-dev only]
          [crossposting to vimplugin-devel]

          The overall goal of the project is to tightly integrate vim into
          eclipse. That means that the developer should choose what features of
          what program to use.

          On a higher level the idea is to treat vim as real editor component but
          to let other things like compiling, cvs/svn, integration of
          api-documentation, large scale refactorings, perhaps gui-building to the
          IDE.

          So the spirit is "Vim is not an IDE".

          The eclipse core plugin architecture uses so called "extension points"
          to define its interfaces. The idea of vimplugin is to map those
          extension points to vim features where possible/adequate. That means
          that if phpeclipse and the like work as intended with such interfaces,
          the integration with vim could work out.

          Problems will come when there are redundant features: Which one is the
          better? (e.g. QuickFix, Buffers)

          But that's still a long way to go.

          At the moment we are struggling to build a text(terminal)-based vim with
          netbeans support.

          >From :help netbeans-configure

          > Currently, only gvim is supported in this integration as NetBeans does not
          > have means to supply a terminal emulator for the vim command. Furthermore,
          > there is only GUI support for GTK, GNOME, and Motif.

          Any idea why it is like that or how one could change it !?

          Help or suggestions are appreciated.

          Sebastian.
        • Sergey Khorev
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Sebastian Menge wrote:
            > Am Sonntag, den 01.04.2007, 13:33 -0400 schrieb Silent1:
            >> Just a quick question about the overal goal of the project. Would vim
            >> just become an editor inside eclipse? Or would we be able to still use
            >> vim inside eclipse but still use code completion say from plugins like
            >> zends php project for eclipse or phpeclipse or any of the languagle
            >> specific plugins? Thanks
            >> --Brendon
            >
            > [replying to vim-dev only]
            > [crossposting to vimplugin-devel]
            >
            > The overall goal of the project is to tightly integrate vim into
            > eclipse. That means that the developer should choose what features of
            > what program to use.
            >
            > On a higher level the idea is to treat vim as real editor component but
            > to let other things like compiling, cvs/svn, integration of
            > api-documentation, large scale refactorings, perhaps gui-building to the
            > IDE.
            >
            > So the spirit is "Vim is not an IDE".
            >
            > The eclipse core plugin architecture uses so called "extension points"
            > to define its interfaces. The idea of vimplugin is to map those
            > extension points to vim features where possible/adequate. That means
            > that if phpeclipse and the like work as intended with such interfaces,
            > the integration with vim could work out.
            >
            > Problems will come when there are redundant features: Which one is the
            > better? (e.g. QuickFix, Buffers)
            >
            > But that's still a long way to go.
            >
            > At the moment we are struggling to build a text(terminal)-based vim with
            > netbeans support.

            >>From :help netbeans-configure
            >
            >> Currently, only gvim is supported in this integration as NetBeans does not
            >> have means to supply a terminal emulator for the vim command. Furthermore,
            >> there is only GUI support for GTK, GNOME, and Motif.
            >
            > Any idea why it is like that or how one could change it !?
            >
            > Help or suggestions are appreciated.

            Vim is a single threaded application so using of windowing toolkit
            facilities is the only approach to receive asynchronous notifications.
            If you want Netbeans support for console you need to include polling
            into relevant pieces of code.

            Also I'm afraid it's impossible to create terminal emulation support for
            Windows console version, just because there are no magic sequences in
            windows console, you need to use respective WinAPI functions. So IMHO
            it's quite pointless to create console Vim with Netbeans support for
            Windows.

            Personally I tried to create an Eclipse plugin for Netbeans protocol
            using org.eclipse.ui.editors connection point. Currently, it's not ready
            for public and I'm not improving it atm.