Inconsistent return from exists()

  • A.J.Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
      In

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Feb 4 2007 03:42:30)
      Included patches: 1-191
      Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
      Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      [...]

      exists(":simalt") or exists(":tearoff") return 2; however trying to use them
      results in

      E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version

      Shouldn't the call to exists() have returned 0 (zero)?

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > In
        >
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Feb 4 2007 03:42:30)
        > Included patches: 1-191
        > Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
        > Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        > [...]
        >
        > exists(":simalt") or exists(":tearoff") return 2; however trying to use them
        > results in
        >
        > E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version
        >

        > Shouldn't the call to exists() have returned 0 (zero)?

        The command exists but it doesn't work. That is more something for
        has() to figure out. But it doesn't handle Ex commands specifically,
        you can only find out by check for certain features.

        I can add this to the todo list, but don't expect it soon.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        ...---... SOS

      • A.J.Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2007
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >
          >> In
          >>
          >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Feb 4 2007 03:42:30)
          >> Included patches: 1-191
          >> Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
          >> Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
          >> [...]
          >>
          >> exists(":simalt") or exists(":tearoff") return 2; however trying to use them
          >> results in
          >>
          >> E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version
          >>

          >> Shouldn't the call to exists() have returned 0 (zero)?
          >
          > The command exists but it doesn't work. That is more something for
          > has() to figure out. But it doesn't handle Ex commands specifically,
          > you can only find out by check for certain features.
          >
          > I can add this to the todo list, but don't expect it soon.

          OK, well, I guess it's a case of "better late than never" or "if you (Tony)
          want it real bad, then program it yourself" ;-/