Vim 8 enhancements

  • Rene de Zwart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      I would like it if vim could integrate more into a graphical application
      for instances an ide.

      The integration would allow application builders to use vim as a component.
      relief them of the burden of maintaining an editor
      Give them access to 20+ years matured editor code base

      If you take eclipse as an example then it integrate an editor with other
      services. like

      defining a project
      keeping an eye on the files in the project
      doing an update on the tags when the file has changed
      handling the integration with source code control systems
      handling the build.

      Vim is good at editing files that is it intended purpose and it works very
      well. I'm working with eclipse and a often hindered by its editor.

      Vim does already integrate. In vim7 you can call on an existing vim and
      open the file in a newtab.
      If vim could signal to the calling process when the file is written.

      I'm not suggesting that vim integrate into the graphical application. more
      an api for editing files. something like
      Hey Mr VIM here is my first file.
      BTW this is the tagfile and use this completion file
      Hey Mr Vim here is an other file
      BTW this is the completion file for this
      Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that the file has changed
      Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that the file has changed and closed
      Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that you closed down

      Externalizing the client-server communication part as an library
      and enhancing the interface?

      Rene
    • Ilya Bobir
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
        Rene de Zwart wrote:
        > I would like it if vim could integrate more into a graphical application
        > for instances an ide.
        >
        > The integration would allow application builders to use vim as a component.
        > relief them of the burden of maintaining an editor
        > Give them access to 20+ years matured editor code base
        >

        > If you take eclipse as an example then it integrate an editor with other
        > services. like
        >
        > defining a project
        > keeping an eye on the files in the project
        > doing an update on the tags when the file has changed
        > handling the integration with source code control systems
        > handling the build.
        >
        > Vim is good at editing files that is it intended purpose and it works very
        > well. I'm working with eclipse and a often hindered by its editor.
        >
        > Vim does already integrate. In vim7 you can call on an existing vim and
        > open the file in a newtab.
        > If vim could signal to the calling process when the file is written.
        >
        > I'm not suggesting that vim integrate into the graphical application. more
        > an api for editing files. something like
        > Hey Mr VIM here is my first file.
        > BTW this is the tagfile and use this completion file
        > Hey Mr Vim here is an other file
        > BTW this is the completion file for this
        > Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that the file has changed
        > Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that the file has changed and closed
        > Thanks Mr Vim for telling me that you closed down
        >
        > Externalizing the client-server communication part as an library
        > and enhancing the interface?
        >
        > Rene

        Maybe you can try this: http://vimplugin.sourceforge.net/ or this:
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclim/
      • Martin Stubenschrott
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
          Now that there are many new - good, or not - ideas coming up. I think it
          would be a great idea, if the voting page on:

          http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

          becomes updated with new ideas, and old ones get deleted/changed.

          Now that we have omnicompletion, 'add intelligent, context-sensitive
          completion (intellisense)' does not make sense anymore, rather 'add more
          /better omni completions'.

          - add tabbed windows (one tab per window, only one is visible)
          is also useless as we have it now.

          I don't know if all current points of registered/paying users should be
          reset, but probably it's best to start over with 0 points when updating
          the list.

          --
          Martin
        • Marcus Aurelius
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- Martin Stubenschrott <stubenschrott@...> escreveu:

            > Now that there are many new - good, or not - ideas coming up. I think it
            > would be a great idea, if the voting page on:
            >
            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            >
            > becomes updated with new ideas, and old ones get deleted/changed.

            Agreed. I was updating my votes to remove features that have been implemented,
            and i really wished i had a few new features to vote for. Due to the growing
            lack of options, i voted several times for the same features :-D

            Fale com seus amigos de gra├ža com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
            http://br.messenger.yahoo.com/