multibyte characters in langmap?

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hello, vim-developers!

      It is still impossible to use multibyte characters in langmaps,
      when main Vim encoding is set to UTF-8.
      As far as I remember in mid-october there was a patch submitted by
      Konstantin Korikov <lostclus@...>, which allows using
      multibyte characters in langmaps.
      Will this patch becomes 'official' one?

      Valery Kondakoff mailto:strauss@...

      np: (Player is not active)
    • A.J.Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
        Valery Kondakoff wrote:
        > Hello, vim-developers!
        >
        > It is still impossible to use multibyte characters in langmaps,
        > when main Vim encoding is set to UTF-8.
        > As far as I remember in mid-october there was a patch submitted by
        > Konstantin Korikov <lostclus@...>, which allows using
        > multibyte characters in langmaps.
        > Will this patch becomes 'official' one?

        According to ":help 'langmap'", the value may be specified using multibyte
        characters but only the lower 8 bits will be used. I suppose some collisions
        might happen; but since keyboards usually have only a hundred keys or so, it
        might be quite possible that each key gives a different lower-8-bits (255
        possibilities) in which case 'langmap' would, I suppose, be usable.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
          Valery Kondakoff wrote:

          > Hello, vim-developers!
          >
          > It is still impossible to use multibyte characters in langmaps,
          > when main Vim encoding is set to UTF-8.
          > As far as I remember in mid-october there was a patch submitted by
          > Konstantin Korikov <lostclus@...>, which allows using
          > multibyte characters in langmaps.
          > Will this patch becomes 'official' one?

          This patch probably won't be included soon. Feel free to build Vim with
          it and try it out. Send comments to Konstantin so that he can improve
          the patch.

          --
          Life is a gift, living is an art. (Bram Moolenaar)